How important is "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" to you? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 16,709 Times in 3,825 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
What's the problem? I thought Christ's Mass occurred on a Holy Day.
To my understanding day wasn't holy... until it was made holy... by his birth. Hell, it was tax time...

AND if that day is the wrong one, as keeps getting pointed out, I'm thinking one of two things.

1. Few people realized it at the time, so by the time they figured out how important he was, they had to guess when he was born.

2. Once they did, they used the pagan celebration as a way to help convert people to Christianity. It was a big deal back 2,000 years ago getting people to accept Christianity, and doing it at a time of year they already celebrated may have helped bring in more people.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,679 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
How do you say Happy Holidays?
Sărbători Fericite! And we usually say that as well but not because of multi-religious reason. In fact there are a few Christian Holidays in the Month of December and beginning of January:

National Day of Romania (Dec 1st)

Saint Nicholas (on Dec 6th) where we put sweets in children's boots in the morning (money for adolescents ).

The Day before Christmas Dec 24th. (Ajunul Crăciunului) There is a lot of caroling in that evening around the houses and any other residential building). But on top of that we have also "singing wishes", a tradition coming from the old rural way of living where you get rewards in money or sweets, depending on your age.

Carols:

Singing wishes they combine poetry with humor:

Christmas Dec 25th. (Crăciun) Both Santa Clause and Jesus Birthday are all day long on the TV screens.

So there are carols the whole days but in the morning there is another chance to make some more sweets or money when you go with the Star (specific song).

New Year Jan 1st. Another of round of new year "singing wishes" that goes in the residential areas. This time is called Sorcova and you are even allowed to throw rice on the people which some of us little boys did in excess and with too much vigor at times.

That is why we say Sarbatori Fericite (Happy Holidays)... Almost all those Holidays are Christian.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
To my understanding day wasn't holy... until it was made holy... by his birth. Hell, it was tax time...

AND if that day is the wrong one, as keeps getting pointed out, I'm thinking one of two things.

1. Few people realized it at the time, so by the time they figured out how important he was, they had to guess when he was born.

2. Once they did, they used the pagan celebration as a way to help convert people to Christianity. It was a big deal back 2,000 years ago getting people to accept Christianity, and doing it at a time of year they already celebrated may have helped bring in more people.
Merry Christmas=Merry Christ's Mass.
Happy Holidays=Happy Holy Days.

As the time set aside for the observance of Christ's Mass is a Holy Day, I don't get wrapped around the axle when someone chooses to use the greeting Happy Holidays.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,759 Times in 8,349 Posts

I'll take either but prefer "Christmas".
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Doin it Southern Style

Thanked 1,195 Times in 467 Posts

Merry Christmas is what I say and type.

I dont mind Happy Holidays if you are lumping Christmas and New Years into one.

xmas just isnt right. It says to me that you are either anti-Christ or just plain lazy.

And I love the cat

COB
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkansas COB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Freedom Freeloader

Feliz Navidad!

That sounds so nice I think I'll write a song with that as the main chorus.

Oh, wait...

Never mind.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TimBob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Автомат Калашникова

Thanked 1,035 Times in 617 Posts

[QUOTE=TimBob;19884896]
Feliz Navidad!

It sounds like "Kitten Natividad".

Is that Walter Brennan in your avatar?
The Following User Says Thank You to Keyzer Soze For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,950 Times in 696 Posts

[quote=Keyzer Soze;19885032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBob View Post
Feliz Navidad!

Looks like Amos McCoy to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 51,146 Times in 11,726 Posts

It's traditionally American to say Merry Christmas since the holiday is actually CHRISTMAS.

The perpetually butt-hurt left wants to eradicate all Christian holidays, all mention of God in the public square and Christmas in particular.

The politically correct 'happy holidays' is an attempt to replace Christmas with Ramadan, Kwanzaa, winter fest, and other fake holidays because the left hates Christians.

It's a war on Christmas and I'm not going to submit to their PC rules. Offended? Don't care.

20 other states as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:29 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,767 Posts

I never post in the religious forums, it's not my spot.

On this I'll chime in a bit.

One year I was collecting donations for Goodfellows. I was greeting and saying Merry Christmas to those who donated as it was very close to Christmas propper.

A very distinguished man, in a very expensive car waved me over and put in two $20s in the boot. I told him, thank you so much and have a Merry Christmas. He thanked me and very confidently said "or Happy Hanukkah". He didn't degrade me, look upset or make light of it. He just made me aware that not every celebrated or believes the same.

From that point on, unless it's Christmas or I know you and what personally celebrate, I say happy holidays. Why? It covers more people on more holidays and might not make me feel like an unknowledgeable twit for saying the wrong thing.

If that upsets someone, then that's on them. Not me.
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:34 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
It's traditionally American to say Merry Christmas since the holiday is actually CHRISTMAS.

The perpetually butt-hurt left wants to eradicate all Christian holidays, all mention of God in the public square and Christmas in particular.

The politically correct 'happy holidays' is an attempt to replace Christmas with Ramadan, Kwanzaa, winter fest, and other fake holidays because the left hates Christians.

It's a war on Christmas and I'm not going to submit to their PC rules. Offended? Don't care.

20 other states as well.
How are those you mentioned, fake holidays? They are far more real and steeped in tradition than a Coca Cola mascot stole from the Pagan's. Is Hanukkah a fake holiday? Is New Year's day, that is 7 days away from Christmas a fake holiday?

It's a holiday season, not Christmas. Like most things, living in a bubble and not having any perspective on the reality of life is why you have no clue there are others, who constitutionally and legitimately celebrate differently than you.

There is butthurt and it is all in your snowflake post <----another fake symbol of Christmas.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Freedom Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post

I hope you understood my reference to the huge hit song "Feliz Navidad" by Josť Feliciano... That was my attempt at humor. No brag, just fact.

And yes, my avatar is Amos McCoy/Will Sonnet... Both roles played by the late great Walter Brennan.

And after a Google search... Um, no. Not that kitten lady!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk