Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diet Coke addiction (and benefits?) MyPrepperLife Health, Fitness and First Aid 26 05-18-2019 11:14 AM
Food storage for those on a more limited diet (Paleo, Vegan, etc.)? OneTimeUseAcct Food and water 22 01-16-2017 11:10 AM
The FAST diet. 5:2 and 6:1 Durgan Health, Fitness and First Aid 12 11-03-2016 02:11 PM

Old 07-22-2019, 04:12 PM

Advertise Here

I would respectfully point put that very little of what we eat is God given. Most of it, even the reportedly healthy stuff, is laboratory created and genetically modified. The true God given food stuffs are almost all low carb. The "Maker's Diet", which requires eating only foods in their pure natural state like Jesus would have eaten, is one of the most restrictive diets there is.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Sentinel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,746 Times in 1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sentinel View Post
I would respectfully point put that very little of what we eat is God given. Most of it, even the reportedly healthy stuff, is laboratory created and genetically modified. The true God given food stuffs are almost all low carb. The "Maker's Diet", which requires eating only foods in their pure natural state like Jesus would have eaten, is one of the most restrictive diets there is.
Where do people get this nonsense?????
Jesus was really good at making bread, best bread maker in recorded history.
Jesus ate fruit, figs, dates, honey, milk, bread, etc
Whole plant food diet is best.
Fruit is a really fantastic whole food.
I don't eat bread but to each their own
Anything other than a whole plant food diet is lesser.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,387 Times in 7,699 Posts

I am not a fan of restrictive diets.

As I see it, God gave us:
Meat (all of it)
Fish and seafood
"Salad" and 'green" vegetables
Fruits
Starchy vegetables
Fats and oils (a supplement, not a mainstay)
Grains (consume as close to whole as possible, but a serving of Mac and cheese now and then isn't going to kill you)
Dairy (I consume a lot of dairy)
Nuts and seeds
Legumes

Eat it all, mix it up, get your protein.

Society has taught us to HATE our bodies, loathe them, despise them, and they are all we've got. We abuse them with horrendous restrictive diets and junk food binges, then wonder why they don't work. We get so upset over a little bit of jiggle we forget our bodies are amazing machines that carry is through every day.

If your body isn't working right try an elimination diet, cheaper than testing - see if you feel better without wheat (my Mom), dairy, etc.

About the only strict rule I have I avoid sugar/HCFS if at all possible. I try to get a whole fresh fruit if I am really craving sugar. But what I have found is I am generally hungry for protein when I crave sugar. If I eat the protein I am satisfied.

It works for me. I feel healthy, my numbers are fantastic. I am even losing some weight and got to take out some "skinny clothes" and add them to my wardrobe as I retired something that had become far too baggy. I have good energy most of the time (I work weird hours and have a pretty stressful life). I work out regularly. I am a full time caregiver in addition to running a business.

But you won't find me logging everything in a notebook, or agonizing if I go up a couple of ounces on the scale.

About the only thing my doctor has said to me about this is to be sure to eat enough salt, taking a salt tablet with every workout, as I am at risk for low blood sodium. That is the only thing he has ever said.

Last comment: all the replies I have seen "But the diet isn't all grease" not ONE has posted a daily menu.

Edit to add, we know how to eat, lots of fresh whole foods as close to nature as we can, an occasional treat. Aware that sugar is addictive and treated as such.

The extreme diets can give you extreme weight loss (for a while) but eventually one's desire for mashed potatoes will overcome that. But if you want to lose 40 pounds in a month and keep it off for a while it is a good way to go.

If I were going to go on a formal plan it would be an intermittent fast. But I have to take my medication with food so that proved a little difficult when I did it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,746 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
I think there may have been a lot of fasting involved in this example. I am certain Jesus didn't pop a Swanson in the nuke chamber. Though you are right about eating whole foods.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
All personal beliefs aside, I wonder how his bread would fair when tomato season comes in and I want a tomato sandwich.

I have been eating sprouted bread for the last 10 years and have become accustomed to it when I want bread, but it can take a month or so to finish a loaf. Not many will join me, they'd rather have sunbeam.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Sprouted bread is fantastic
Obviously, no New World food like tomatoes in Jerusalem back in the day
Making Steel Cut Oatmeal for tomorrow
The longest lived people, aka The Blue Zones, get most of their nutrition from carbohydrates
The horror
Old 07-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Where do people get this nonsense?????
Jesus ate fruit, figs, dates, honey, milk, bread, etc
Whole plant food diet is best.
Fruit is a really fantastic whole food.
I don't eat bread but to each their own
Anything other than a whole plant food diet is lesser.
Oh I thought we were focused on reality. The maker's diet has been heavily researched using actual historical data not personal feelings. If you actually care you can do the research on your own without a lot of effort.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I am not a fan of restrictive diets.

As I see it, God gave us:
Meat (all of it)
Fish and seafood
"Salad" and 'green" vegetables
Fruits
Starchy vegetables
Fats and oils (a supplement, not a mainstay)
Grains (consume as close to whole as possible, but a serving of Mac and cheese now and then isn't going to kill you)
Dairy (I consume a lot of dairy)
Nuts and seeds
Legumes

Eat it all, mix it up, get your protein.

Society has taught us to HATE our bodies, loathe them, despise them, and they are all we've got. We abuse them with horrendous restrictive diets and junk food binges, then wonder why they don't work. We get so upset over a little bit of jiggle we forget our bodies are amazing machines that carry is through every day.

If your body isn't working right try an elimination diet, cheaper than testing - see if you feel better without wheat (my Mom), dairy, etc.

About the only strict rule I have I avoid sugar/HCFS if at all possible. I try to get a whole fresh fruit if I am really craving sugar. But what I have found is I am generally hungry for protein when I crave sugar. If I eat the protein I am satisfied.

It works for me. I feel healthy, my numbers are fantastic. I am even losing some weight and got to take out some "skinny clothes" and add them to my wardrobe as I retired something that had become far too baggy. I have good energy most of the time (I work weird hours and have a pretty stressful life). I work out regularly. I am a full time caregiver in addition to running a business.

But you won't find me logging everything in a notebook, or agonizing if I go up a couple of ounces on the scale.

About the only thing my doctor has said to me about this is to be sure to eat enough salt, taking a salt tablet with every workout, as I am at risk for low blood sodium. That is the only thing he has ever said.

Last comment: all the replies I have seen "But the diet isn't all grease" not ONE has posted a daily menu.

Edit to add, we know how to eat, lots of fresh whole foods as close to nature as we can, an occasional treat. Aware that sugar is addictive and treated as such.

The extreme diets can give you extreme weight loss (for a while) but eventually one's desire for mashed potatoes will overcome that. But if you want to lose 40 pounds in a month and keep it off for a while it is a good way to go.

If I were going to go on a formal plan it would be an intermittent fast. But I have to take my medication with food so that proved a little difficult when I did it.
I don't understand the constant illogical backwards thinking. Not restricting your diet is what got you where you are which is searching for a diet that works for you.

Who cares if you love your body and you can't be shamed. It's not about shaming. It's about being healthy. If you're healthy then that's all that matters. Most people that are overweight but "feel good" can't remember what it was like to actually be trouble free and they consider their current state as "good" because it's the only "good" you know. If you think you're good now, imagine if you were fit.

I literally made two links to a site that makes daily menus for you. You clearly haven't clicked it and are still complaining. This thread is about the keto diet, not your misinformed opinions of it. You make the exact same post almost every day in here. We get it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Eating stuff in it's pure natural state, including carbs, is considered Paleo. You eat ingredients, not recipes. Basically, if your food has more than one ingredient, it is processed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 PM

Just keep hitting the regenerate button and it keeps giving you a new daily menu with the recipes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	289684   Click image for larger version

Name:	sample2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	289686   Click image for larger version

Name:	sample3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	289688   Click image for larger version

Name:	sample4.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	289690  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,387 Times in 7,699 Posts

TH, I am not interested in eating 1200 calories a day, counting and measuring.

I got where I am due to genetics, stress eating, medication, etc. I utterly loathe counting/logging all my food. Loathe it.

One handful of chips after a workout is not going to kill me, probably 100 calories if I were logging.

I don't have time to cook. I am running a business and a full time caregiver in addition to being disabled and on heavy duty mental illness medication. I don't drive.

All yall with good brains, able to drive, a wife to do all the cooking and cleanup telling me what to do... it is rude and insulting. WHEN in this thread have I asked for help? Never.

My husband has a great line: unwanted help is HARM.

I will stick to my protein shake every morning and yogurt for lunch. A modest TV dinner (one of the 300 calorie ones, if I were logging, which I'm not). My sugar free lemonade.

I have to go work out.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Say NO to Trump Flag Laws

Thanked 51,886 Times in 18,061 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
Can somebody recommend a book, web site, or something on how to start a Keto diet/way of life? I did a search, but there are so many sites with so much info, that it was difficult to wade through all of it.
The links in the OP will take you to a number of individuals who cover the topic of "Keto for beginners" in one of their vast library of videos.

To my surprise, I introduced my ex-wife to the Keto diet. I didn't think in a million years that she would want to give up sugar and pasta. To my pleasant surprise, she DID give those things up. I bought her a Keto cookbook. She and her son (who was morbidly obese) have lost 35 to 40 pounds and she loves the results. I'm happy for her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Heat View Post
I don't understand the constant illogical backwards thinking. Not restricting your diet is what got you where you are which is searching for a diet that works for you.

Who cares if you love your body and you can't be shamed. It's not about shaming. It's about being healthy. If you're healthy then that's all that matters. Most people that are overweight but "feel good" can't remember what it was like to actually be trouble free and they consider their current state as "good" because it's the only "good" you know. If you think you're good now, imagine if you were fit.

I literally made two links to a site that makes daily menus for you. You clearly haven't clicked it and are still complaining. This thread is about the keto diet, not your misinformed opinions of it. You make the exact same post almost every day in here. We get it.
Amen to that! Reaching optimum health is the goal. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I haven't been at my current energy level since my pre-teen youth. I didn't think it was possible at my age (58) to get past my joint pain and sluggish energy level. Years ago I tried a "proper food combining" diet that did help but there's nothing like the Keto diet.

By "restricting" all sugars (100%), including honey, table sugar, maple syrup, molasses, high fructose fruits, etc. and by "restricting" high carb "foods" like pasta, grains, breads, etc. ... I've lost exactly 50 pounds. I am currently at a plateau but hope to lose about 5 more pounds to reach my optimum weight for my height.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:39 AM
VIP Member

I love reading all the success stories on weight loss
Keto has been around for a long time so the benefits and risks are well known
You can lose just as much weight as fast or faster with a whole food plant based diet
I would be very interested to see the results from a whole food plant based keto diet
That may be the best health-wise
Right now the healthiest and longest lived populations are plant based whole food with low fat, lower protein, and the balance/majority in carbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:56 AM
VIP Member

Here is a proven diet which makes for the longest and healthiest life
Whole food, plant based
High carbs, low fat and low protein

"The traditional Okinawa diet is low in calories and fat while high in carbs. It emphasizes vegetables and soy products alongside occasional — and small — amounts of noodles, rice, pork, and fish. ... Although still low-calorie and primarily carb-based, it now contains more protein and fat.Apr 16, 2019
Fat: 6%, including 2% saturated fat
Protein: 9%
Carbs: 85%"

Pretty close to my macros
I get a little less fat and a little more protein
Need to consider fiber as well
I am at 50 grams plus per day
Old 07-23-2019, 11:14 AM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
You can lose just as much weight as fast or faster with a whole food plant based diet
I would be very interested to see the results from a whole food plant based keto diet
Right now the healthiest and longest lived populations are plant based whole food with low fat, lower protein, and the balance/majority in carbs
That almost sounds like a vegan diet. The vegans I know suffer from a number of ailments (teeth, hair, skin, digestive issues, etc.). I know a couple that look almost anorexic. Some suffer from being too cold when everyone else feels fine. Some take several naps a day due to lack of energy.

I'm not saying that you're advocating a vegan diet but I just wanted to toss in my two cents if that's what you were considering.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Vegans belong to a cult in my opinion
Be smart about what you eat and drink
Get your nutrition right
Get your macros right
Get your fiber right
Get your hydration right

As vegans like to point out, gorillas get an incredible muscle mass from a whole food plant based diet. Below are some vegan athletes that are living proof that you can be a killa on plant based whole food diet. As stated I reject veganism as a cult.
But I have the sense of an old cow. I eat the hay and leave the sticks
If the healthiest and longest lived populations are plant based whole food, high carb low fat and lower protein, then I will have the sense to take notice. These populations are not in the vegan cult.

https://www.businessinsider.com/vega...-their-diet-11
Old 07-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
TH, I am not interested in eating 1200 calories a day, counting and measuring.

I got where I am due to genetics, stress eating, medication, etc. I utterly loathe counting/logging all my food. Loathe it.

One handful of chips after a workout is not going to kill me, probably 100 calories if I were logging.

I don't have time to cook. I am running a business and a full time caregiver in addition to being disabled and on heavy duty mental illness medication. I don't drive.

All yall with good brains, able to drive, a wife to do all the cooking and cleanup telling me what to do... it is rude and insulting. WHEN in this thread have I asked for help? Never.

My husband has a great line: unwanted help is HARM.

I will stick to my protein shake every morning and yogurt for lunch. A modest TV dinner (one of the 300 calorie ones, if I were logging, which I'm not). My sugar free lemonade.

I have to go work out.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you still haven't played on that website yet. You can put in how many calories a day you want to eat. You can choose what foods you want in your diet. It doesn't have to be keto. It does all the "tracking" for you in that you don't have to because that's the whole point of the website.

No you may not have asked for help but you are deterring those who are. I also have not in a single post recommended this diet but can advocate from any side of it.

Another great line: uninformed help is HARM.

I have to go to work. Remember that job of mine? Where I train people to be healthy and fit?
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The counter to that is that those people that live longer also have much lower stress levels because of their lifestyle. I don't agree with all doctors all the time but one thing they all say (including mine) is that STRESS WILL KILL YOU. Is it really a shock that Asian people live longer? How many of them still look to be in their teens at 40? Genetics have a role. But why do the village life people live longer in Asia than the city life people? Stress.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:54 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Heat View Post
Eating stuff in it's pure natural state, including carbs, is considered Paleo. You eat ingredients, not recipes. Basically, if your food has more than one ingredient, it is processed.
I like salt and pepper sprinkled on a fresh picked tomato. Am I in doing it wrong?