Experience with Rock River Arms Two Stage Trigger? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rock river arms lar 15 review nateh1775 Military Weapons Forum 8 09-11-2014 03:33 AM
Rock River arms lambdiggity Military Weapons Forum 32 05-04-2013 11:18 AM
Rock River Arms LAR-47 INFIDEL-24/7 Military Weapons Forum 21 10-03-2012 09:54 PM
Rock River Arms LAR-15 LEF-T FWFRazorX Rifle Forum 0 07-26-2012 07:00 AM
Say hello to Rock River Arms! Sticks440 Rifle Forum 1 02-05-2012 02:11 AM
Rock River Arms AR-15 SKSTAPCO Military Weapons Forum 32 12-03-2011 06:16 PM
Rock River Arms Judge35 Military Weapons Forum 95 09-27-2011 11:01 PM
Rock River Arms or not that is the ? Necred Rifle Forum 17 03-02-2011 06:11 PM
How to I.D A Rock River Arms AR15 JHunter Firearms General Discussion 0 11-12-2010 11:25 PM
Rock River Arms AR-15 Deadly x Monk Rifle Forum 8 09-12-2009 05:21 PM

Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Silent Defender

Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,005 Posts
Default Experience with Rock River Arms Two Stage Trigger?

Advertise Here

From what I've read, it seems to be a pretty good trigger setup for the AR15. Who on here has any experience with it? Give me some Pros and Cons, if you would. If it's worth it, I may have to get me one.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,523 Times in 551 Posts

I have one set up on a 20 inch upper. They are well worth the money, but there are better triggers out there. They touch off military primers 100% of the time in my rifle, and have yet to let me down. They are very simple to install, and the results are instantaneous. The hammer pin fit very tight in my Noveske lower.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Silent Defender

What would you consider to be a better trigger?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Prepared

I have them in 4 of mt ARs. I bought the first set in 2003 still going strong.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octomonkey View Post
What would you consider to be a better trigger?
Timney makes some 2 stage triggers that are very nice, but they cost over $200 based on the MSRP price. Only issue I have with them is they have a low 3-4 pound break and to me 3 pounds is very light and is best for competition match shooters, not something I would want on a weapon that you may have to shoot in anger.

The Geissele SSA is another option for around $180 (at Bravo Company) has a pull weight of about 4.5lb, it's much better suited for CQB, and it will still perform well in competition AR distance shooting matches. This is the model I may go to for my LMT lower. Geissele has a large selection of triggers to choose from , but like most custom trigger makers....bring a well stocked checkbook.

JP enterprises is another maker, but haven't read much about them.

LMT is making a 2 stage trigger now and I've heard some good comments about those, pull weight is between 5-7 pounds. If you can get a trigger with a 5 pound pull that will work nicely for just about any situation.

Then we have the Rock River Arms 2 stage, I have one of these in my RRA lower, it releases at a consistent 5 pounds. I do not shoot in matches any more but the few matches I did shoot I used the RRA lower and I like mine a lot. Pin sizes are slightly larger than other makers so make sure you buy the proper sized pins if you go this route.

Most people that do not compete or shoot high round counts will hardly notice the differences between most 2 stage triggers outside of the price.

Pro: Good feel for competition shooters, if you compete and have good trigger finger control they are nice to have.

Con: Maybe not the best choice for a combat AR since while in the heat of battle you may never get to notice it's benefits unless you're engaging at longer distance and have time to use the trigger as it was designed.

My .02
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,023 Times in 4,467 Posts

Lots of broken RRA 2-stage triggers out there if you do a quick google. For a few bucks more, there are better options (Geissele, etc.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Thanked 18,856 Times in 6,430 Posts

I don't like Two-Stage Triggers on ARs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,755 Times in 696 Posts

I have them in several guns.

I have the new 3.5lb 2 stage trigger in the new build.

I had to chose between Timney Giselle and RR, the RR has in my opinion the best balance on the takeup and break.

It's crisp, clean, and it works without fail, military primers or standard .223 civvy.

The "broken" ones tend to be the older ones before the redesign of the hammer. I have both kinds and never saw an issue. And I shoot my rifles far more than most people.

So far, on the guns that I have RR NM triggers in have seen more than 10k rounds through them one has somewhere around 18k. And they're still going strong.

That's not counting the new one. But I'm expecting nothing less from that one.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:36 PM
III

Thanked 2,486 Times in 792 Posts

I have one on my Rock River NM type rifle,it came with it. It's a good trigger but my shooting buddy has a Geissele and it's better.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,238 Times in 504 Posts

Waste of money. First, most people don't know how to properly use them. Second, Why would you need to take up the slack, then fire the round? On a battle rifle... Third, RRA have a bad habit of adjusting themselves after they stopped using the Greider design. I have seen 2 ND's with out of adjustment 2 stage triggers during carbine classes when the safety was on. We reported them to RRA and got no response.

It is a battle rifle. No need for a two stage trigger. Even on a precision rifle there is little need for it since you can polish the connecting surfaces and install a fixed weight spring and get an exceptional trigger. I have done this on many guns and the customers universally like it better with the polished surfaces and a 5lb spring. On the precision rifles I use a 3lb spring.

Get someone competent to polish the surfaces, install a Wolff or JP 5lb trigger spring and call it good.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Silent Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Timney makes some 2 stage triggers that are very nice, but they cost over $200 based on the MSRP price. Only issue I have with them is they have a low 3-4 pound break and to me 3 pounds is very light and is best for competition match shooters, not something I would want on a weapon that you may have to shoot in anger.

The Geissele SSA is another option for around $180 (at Bravo Company) has a pull weight of about 4.5lb, it's much better suited for CQB, and it will still perform well in competition AR distance shooting matches. This is the model I may go to for my LMT lower. Geissele has a large selection of triggers to choose from , but like most custom trigger makers....bring a well stocked checkbook.

JP enterprises is another maker, but haven't read much about them.

LMT is making a 2 stage trigger now and I've heard some good comments about those, pull weight is between 5-7 pounds. If you can get a trigger with a 5 pound pull that will work nicely for just about any situation.

Then we have the Rock River Arms 2 stage, I have one of these in my RRA lower, it releases at a consistent 5 pounds. I do not shoot in matches any more but the few matches I did shoot I used the RRA lower and I like mine a lot. Pin sizes are slightly larger than other makers so make sure you buy the proper sized pins if you go this route.

Most people that do not compete or shoot high round counts will hardly notice the differences between most 2 stage triggers outside of the price.

Pro: Good feel for competition shooters, if you compete and have good trigger finger control they are nice to have.

Con: Maybe not the best choice for a combat AR since while in the heat of battle you may never get to notice it's benefits unless you're engaging at longer distance and have time to use the trigger as it was designed.

My .02
What is it about the Geissele SSA that makes it "much better suited for CQB" over the RRA 2 Stage?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,755 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
What is it about the Geissele SSA that makes it "much better suited for CQB" over the RRA 2 Stage?
It's not.

I have the Geissele S3G in one gun, and i'm slower with that than the RR nm..

It all comes down to what suits you best.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Joshua 24:14-15

Thanked 2,172 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
From what I've read, it seems to be a pretty good trigger setup for the AR15. Who on here has any experience with it? Give me some Pros and Cons, if you would. If it's worth it, I may have to get me one.
The RRA 2 stage is a good trigger in my opinion.

I have a good number of them. Two with thousands of rounds each of use. They have been reliable. I find them to be a great buy.

I would also suggest looking at the JP trigger that you install yourself (the original). I prefer the tactical/duty version.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFC-1

They come with a dvd to watch to explain how to install them, or if that's not for you then you can find a good smith to install them.

I find the JP trigger to be every bit as good as the higher dollar versions for a lesser price tag. I have run many good triggers and am not trying to beat on the higher priced triggers that are also good.

You can use other springs besides the tactical/duty set up, I just prefer those to ensure I don't have any spring related issues.

Anyway, the RRA 2 stage triggers are a good set up and I would also consider the JP. They feel very different so you might want to see if anyone has them in your area that will let you feel them. For the price these two are tough to beat. Most folks will prefer one over the other due to personal preference. Many folks will say that the 2 stage is not reliable enough for a fighting carbine, but my experience says the RRA 2 stage are fine, ymmv.

Last thing I would say is that many folks can take a regular trigger group and make it quite nice. I've done quite a few now and many other folks do the same. Not for everyone, but it can be an inexpensive way to upgrade a regular trigger group.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshua79109 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
I based it on the quality of manufacture and general reputation of Geissele.

My RRA has a 5 pound RRA 2 stage trigger, I like it but RRA is not generally know for making the highest quality. Also, my personal preference is to have a single stage for my SHTF CQB AR, I just feel safer with the higher pound pull because with all the movement that is required for CQB there is less chance for a ND.

It's not a knock on RRA, like I said, I like mine, just won't use it for CQB type situations, it would be my go-to AR for anything past 100 yards because over those distances you can take advantage of the 2 stage benefit....because you generally will have a little more time to shoot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gort For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Silent Defender

Quote:
I based it on the quality of manufacture and general reputation of Geissele.

My RRA has a 5 pound RRA 2 stage trigger, I like it but RRA is not generally know for making the highest quality. Also, my personal preference is to have a single stage for my SHTF CQB AR, I just feel safer with the higher pound pull because with all the movement that is required for CQB there is less chance for a ND.

It's not a knock on RRA, like I said, I like mine, just won't use it for CQB type situations, it would be my go-to AR for anything past 100 yards because over those distances you can take advantage of the 2 stage benefit....because you generally will have a little more time to shoot.
This one is listed with a "Large Pin" and "Small Pin" option. What's the difference?

http://www.botachtactical.com/gessatr.html
Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
This one is listed with a "Large Pin" and "Small Pin" option. What's the difference?

http://www.botachtactical.com/gessatr.html
From my experience of adding KNS Non-rotating trigger pins the RRA has a pin sizes of .1555" and most other ARs, except Colt, have .154" pins.

Most early model Colt ARs can have pins as large as .169, over the last couple of years they have gone to the .154 pins, from what I've read.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gort For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Lead Farmer

Have one in the rifle I train with currently. It's been consistent and functioned without a hiccup for about 12,000 rounds so far.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Silent Defender

Quote:
From my experience of adding KNS Non-rotating trigger pins the RRA has a pin sizes of .1555" and most other ARs, except Colt, have .154" pins.

Most early model Colt ARs can have pins as large as .169, over the last couple of years they have gone to the .154 pins, from what I've read.
I guess my Bushmaster would probably be what they consider a "small pin"?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I guess my Bushmaster would probably be what they consider a "small pin"?
Yes, Bushmaster is small pins.
The Following User Says Thank You to hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,944 Times in 8,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy View Post
I don't like Two-Stage Triggers on ARs.
For some reason I am still partial to the stock GI trigger on general use rifles, I am not a fan of adding additional parts into the system.

Competition guns are a little different, you could argue for adjustable trigger pull weights and smoothing out the sear surfaces, etc.

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"