Indoor House Purebred Cat Preps - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,070 Times in 4,128 Posts

Advertise Here

Ocicat

Oriental
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 AM
Survivor

Russian Blue
Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 AM
Survivor

Siamese cat - there are old and new types that look completely different. I prefer the older style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 05:10 AM
Survivor

Here's the one for Ragdolls, I do love them, but they aren't on the hypoallergenic list as far as I know

The same for the Maine Coon
Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 AM
Survivor

I'll be basing my cat BOB kit on this ladies, she had to evacuate during a condo fire with her kitty, thus based on experience.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,384 Times in 976 Posts

Lots of good advice. My experience, (I currently have 12) with carriers is to leave one out with a towel in it. It often becomes a favorite place to nap. I have picked up carriers second hand because I want enough for all cats if needed.

My barn cats get fed twice a day, are shut in at night and they hunt like crazy. I have had three different house cats tear screens and get out. Two of them from upstairs. They went out onto a roof and went off at least 8'.

Absolutely neuter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 AM
Survivor

I'm wondering what type of carrier is the best. I do have a round one with a seat belt mounting, and even a Sherpa type bag, but neither have extra room to expand into etc.

Hard Carrier
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bones-Prati...ateway&sr=8-11

Soft carrier
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jet-Sitter-...-3-spons&psc=1

There's backpacks, strollers, and other types. My vet liked a top opening type as it helped access when the pets can't walk etc.

Also when I discussed this on a cat forum some years ago, this was the one people liked:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-Desig...ateway&sr=8-29
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,334 Times in 4,542 Posts

I have 2 cats, both rescues. The oldest is 12 and is a longer haired tabby... sheds a bunch so I brush her every 2 days in summer. A very social friendly cat, everyone loves her. The little one, he's 3 and a feral rescue. Got something exotic in him and is not over friendly, doesn't like thunder storms and fireworks. We got him at 5 weeks old.

Both stay inside all the time, they watch the outdoors from window sills and I have a bird feeder outside 1 window. Both are great with mice, the little guy bagged 2 that I caught him with over the winter.

They both like to sleep in cardboard boxes. I'll drop a towel in the boxes and they will sleep in them during the day. I have things for them to climb on covered with carpet. They pick on one recliner, but leave the rest of the furniture alone.

At night, the little guy likes a couch or my recliner. He will sleep in my room at night, but stays hidden. The older one curls up with me most nights even when my lady friend stays over she's right in there with us.

I have 1 cat carrier, should really get a 2nd one just in case. The older cat was getting fat, I changed their dry food to a Merrick grain-free brand and they both like it. She is losing weight. Wet food, they split a small portion in the morning and at night. I have been trying Tiki Cat and Redford lately, she is a walking garbage can and is not fussy as the little guy is. I try to have 30 days of food on hand all the time.

For litter, I use a Tidy Cat light weight and they seem to be okay with it. Try to keep that steady, some cats don't like other litters. I get that 4 at a time just to have it around.

If I was in the market for a new cat I'd be looking at a Siamese or Burmese for a pure breed. A mixed breed with Siamese in it is very nice. I saw 2 rescue tabbies that were part Siamese, beautiful cats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,369 Times in 7,691 Posts

I think hard carriers are better because you can stack them.

I have one duffel bag style carrier for Baby Girl, she is the smallest at 13# and I can sling her over one shoulder while carrying the two beefier cats in their hard carriers.

I do an annual all cats trip to the vet once a year (coming up in fact). I take all of them in at once for exams and shots. Biscuit has a condition so he has to be watched. It is just a couple hours out of the year and then all done.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 6,968 Times in 3,085 Posts

https://youtu.be/zCX-9kxqQHs

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,965 Times in 769 Posts

Our cat is a barn cat. Looks kinda Siamese, but she's just culturally appropriating them.

I try real hard to trap/poison mice and keep them out of the house. But she has found 1 a year or so anyways.

I think people who try to walk cats on a leash are crazy. My wife bought a lease and tried it exactly once with the cat. The cat thought my wife was crazy too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,049 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Our cat is a barn cat. Looks kinda Siamese, but she's just culturally appropriating them.

I try real hard to trap/poison mice and keep them out of the house. But she has found 1 a year or so anyways.

I think people who try to walk cats on a leash are crazy. My wife bought a lease and tried it exactly once with the cat. The cat thought my wife was crazy too.
Cats can be trained to do anything they want to do at the time they want to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 02:34 AM
Survivor

Cats can be trained.

Cat agility

Cat vs Dog tricks

Catmando

https://www.youtube.com/user/CatTrai...?query=parkour
Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 AM
Survivor

Double post.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 6,968 Times in 3,085 Posts

https://youtu.be/aV8ckv37ZLo

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 01:41 AM
Survivor

Pet carriers of various sizes

Old 07-11-2019, 01:43 AM
Survivor

Pet backpacks

Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 AM
Survivor

Expandable pet carrier a review

For a soft carrier I really like this idea. It's a shame they don't do a hard carrier with the same design.

Here's one with two fold out sides
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 AM
Survivor

If you are travelling by car, it's well worth checking out crash tests for the pet carrier

Here's the sleepypod

Another carrier being crashed tested

More information on the sleepy pod

The Hagen Catit

NB for pet carriers, they said pet should be able to stand up, turn round and lay down for it to be the correct size.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,004 Times in 3,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
I'm wondering what type of carrier is the best. I do have a round one with a seat belt mounting, and even a Sherpa type bag, but neither have extra room to expand into etc.

Hard Carrier
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bones-Prati...ateway&sr=8-11

Soft carrier
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jet-Sitter-...-3-spons&psc=1

There's backpacks, strollers, and other types. My vet liked a top opening type as it helped access when the pets can't walk etc.

Also when I discussed this on a cat forum some years ago, this was the one people liked:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-Desig...ateway&sr=8-29
Depends on the situation...

For regular stuff, like going to the vet or a trip in the car, a small, hand-carried, hard plastic carrier has done well. Hard for the cat to escape.

For a long-term board, in which I would have to provide the container, such as an improvised animal shelter in a major disaster, or in my yard during clean-up/recovery after a disaster, a Giant Vari-Kennel. I have two, so one for my German Shepherd and one for the cat. Same size, so they nest and can be split into the clamshells and put on top of the car for transport (too big to go inside the car). Enough room for the cat to move around and have a decent sized litter box. It might be possible to put the smaller sized Litter Maid automatic litter box across the end opposite the door (without the ramp)... battery back-up

I'd rather the wire crates because they're lockable. And there's a tall kitty condo wire crate. But that's not what I have right now. And the plastic is easier to clean.

I like the looks of the soft sided, front backpack carrier, but I wonder if the cat would chew himself out of it if he got scared or bored... plus easy to cut with a knife or scissors . and not a lot of protection for the cat

The little free-standing tent-looking things with the expandable sides can hold a very small litter box, food, water, and space for the cat to sleep. Same problem as the front carrier, but they're pretty good inside a tent shared with a dog and a person... less chance of escape, and easy to locate in an emergency... and it keeps the dog out of the cat food and kitty litter Note: no cat food inside the tent in bear country... don't know about kitty litter... bears are canine family and every dog I've had liked raiding the litter box
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post: