How do you justify the contents of your GHB? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 64 11-08-2017 04:04 PM
Opinions on my BOB/ INCH bag contents 88horizon5speed Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 12-12-2016 09:36 AM
Add a hacksaw blade to your GHB farmboyJD Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 12-06-2016 09:06 PM
GHB Drink Mix Mark S Food and water 11 11-12-2016 04:02 PM

Old 02-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,433 Times in 2,079 Posts

Advertise Here

I have TP in a vacuum-sealed bag in all of my vehicles and all of my go-bags. Plus a few ziplocks so I can keep them waterproofed after I open them. I have this irrational fear of having projectile diarrhea on the highway and nothing to clean up with. It's never happened to me, but neither has the zombie apocalypse....

This isn't my pic, but here's what it looks like in someone else's go-bag. Peanuts already included....

Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Bourbon Slayer

Just Jeff - that's was damn funny!
The Following User Says Thank You to StayFrosty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,582 Posts

like many of us...have tried various packs, sizes, theories on what I needed.

one pack got ridiculously large (think old military battle rattle load out)..only as the years piled on.. I realized, I'm not that kid anymore.

finally a couple years ago, I settled on a smallish 5.11 rush bag..
it's small enough that I don't mind grabbing it out of the car each night and bringing it into the house, or the hotel, etc...it can strap on the back bumper carrier of my pedal bike if need be and it never comes close to the 15lb limit I've placed on my requirements.

that said..it's not just a GHB, it's a go-bag, road trip bag, whatever.

if i were at the office and got a call to rush to the hospital to sit and wait for a family member emergency, I'd have a change of clothes, toiletries, cash, etc...all the things to allow me to respond quickly and not have to worry about having the basics for myself while I waited for a loved one.

on road trips, that same bag has maps, handheld cobra CB, medical..and yes, a space blanket...car breakdown on a winter night and you'll be glad for one.

there is a compact pistol and a couple spare mags, but nothing to support extended gun battle mode..a multi-tool, decent knife, streamlight penlight (very efficient) and a couple spare batteries...copies of important documents as well as flash drive and enough cash to go allow me to function off grid for a reasonable spell of time...water filtration and tablets, powder mixes for the water and my favorite Cliff bars..chocolate mint...face mask and safety glasses (glasses are important to protect your eyes if you're needing to move through woods at night to get home... I can go on, but you get the idea....lot of resource for life's normal unexpected events..my bag has come in handy so many times.
there is a set of good hiking shoes in the trunk of the car, extra water, a shotgun, and a full size folder bike..and in winter, a heavier coat..oh a poncho lives in the bag as well. I can cover a lot of ground with not so much weight.

can't think of anything in my bag that isn't justified in reasonable scenarios..and much of which has been actually used over the years in real life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 PM

Always interesting and educational hearing about everyone's different approaches. So true we all have to figure out what works for us with our specific conditions/circumstances.

I approach the GHB thing a little differently as well. For me I have two levels of kit. What I carry on my person, and my INCH pack which lives in my vehicle.

What I carry on my person has the purpose of getting me to my INCH pack which is in my vehicle. For me I am never very far from my vehicle. It sits most of the work day about 15 feet from me on the other side of the back door into my office. If I go to a restaurant or store it's typically going to be within 50 yards of me.

So my GHB is really more of a GTMIPK (get to my INCH pack kit). And it's pretty much always the same stuff. A gun, knife, flashlight, some cash, and a Bic lighter. Just enough stuff to get me to my next level of kit, or survive 24-48 hours or so in a worse case scenario where I can't get to another level of kit for that amount of time.

I don't have a BOB, GHB, etc. I just have my EDC on me, and an INCH pack in my vehicle.

My INCH pack can easily serve as a lower level of kit such as a GHB or BOB just simply by taking some of the stuff out of it. As an INCH pack it's set up with the idea that it might be all I have to walk away with for an extended period of time with no resupply. But it can serve any survival/emergency kit below that as well. If all I need to do is go the 10 miles from where I'm in a meeting to my house (Get Home), I can dump most of the stuff out of it and just carry the pack with the few items in it I will need to make that short journey.

That's seems to be a pretty good system for my circumstances, but it may not work for others.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to backup1911 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 AM
This is a great survival forum

Interesting read. I justify differently based on current expected needs. My last job I worked on the other side of a river. Depending on what occurred that resulted in my need to get home. I packed an inner tube and a co2 cartridge to quick air it up. The what if the bridges were not pass able for various reason came to mind. I have an emergency poncho. I have energy snacks. A canteen and purification tables. I change some items based on current average temps. dog days of summer verse dead of winter. I keep in mind weight. If you have ever carried weight on your back for long distances. U understand.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Bourbon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighanded View Post
finally a couple years ago, I settled on a smallish 5.11 rush bag..
it's small enough that I don't mind grabbing it out of the car each night and bringing it into the house, or the hotel, etc...it can strap on the back bumper carrier of my pedal bike if need be and it never comes close to the 15lb limit I've placed on my requirements.
This has been very helpful! How full is that 5.11 pack? I am a software engineer by profession and need to carry a laptop. do you find there would be enough room in the pack for that? Do you tend to use your pack for every day needs as well or is it designated for GHB?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,131 Posts

I keep a day pack as my job is only 18 miles from home. In it I keep a couple of Bic lighters and flashlights, spare socks, change of underwear, wet wipes, a poncho, a fleece jacket, beef jerky, a small jar of honey, three bottles of water, a pocket knife, and sixty dollars. EDC, extra ammo and another folding knife is carried daily.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:14 PM

There's a reason they call it a "Get Home Bag" - it's not for spending 3 days out in the woods camping or something! It's simply supposed to get you home... and there's not all that much you need for that, in fact given the goal of moving to your home quickly, you want to avoid having it be super heavy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BellaCassels For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,433 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaCassels View Post
There's a reason they call it a "Get Home Bag" - it's not for spending 3 days out in the woods camping or something! It's simply supposed to get you home... and there's not all that much you need for that, in fact given the goal of moving to your home quickly, you want to avoid having it be super heavy!
Guess it depends on how many days walk are between you and home during a time of instability.

And on what you take when you go camping--my weeklong backpacking pack is under 30 lbs including an extra day and a half of food and 2L water. I wouldn't call that super heavy.

There's often more than one right answer to a given problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Prepare Adapt andOvercome

Poncho, knife, handcuff key and an emergency blanket. Just an opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Prepared

I often find myself hundreds of miles from home in Washington State. I like the state and I spend time all over it. I built a GHB that would get me home (on foot) in 7 days. I should be able to walk home in 7 days from anywhere I find myself in Washington State. I read your post, but build in flex factor. The one time you might need your bag you might find yourself farther from home than normal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Survival_Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 12:11 AM

You stated throw in your truck! Now , to me, that is a game changer.
1. If you are in a familiar area, you should think about what it take you out to civilization. The 10 essentials would be great.
However, be sure to add a credit card or some money to at least be able to get you a bus ticket to go home.
Apart from the 10 essentials, I always ensure I have some money stashed somewhere deep in a wallet pocket or anywhere, as long as you do not use it for your daily expenses.
This will onl be used in an emergency.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tokwan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 12:17 AM
Been around the block

For me it is about 12 miles, that is just a steady run, but my GHB has power bars, water, fire making tools, spare defense ammo, and some first aid stuff. When I go past 30 miles I toss my bob into the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueline For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I keep the stuff I want to walk home for 2-3 days, packed in my Jeep.

A old pair of hiking boots, a warm jacket, 2 liters of water in a hydration bag, two MREs, a military poncho, and a poncho liner. Beyond that, I carry a knife, a multi tool, flashlight, and some first aid items.

I carry a handgun, cell phone, and a tactical folding knife on my person.
I don't actually "justify" anything in my "GHB". I just pack what I figure I will need to get home. I mean, we're talking about a "get home bag", right?

My approach is similar to Hick's. A vast majority of travel away from my immediate neighborhood and home is to the office. It's 21.2 miles. I looked at the map and I am familiar with the territory between the office and home, so I don't need a map and compass although I do have them.

I can walk 21.2 miles in a day, but it's a full day. I might not have a full day, or there might be flooding or something that makes it difficult to get home. So I have an emergency overnight shelter. Weighs a few ounces. Also some easy to light and use fire starter stuff in case.

I make sure to carry a rain jacket and a fleece pullover.

Everything else is EDC. Pistol, spare mag, pocket knife. flashlight, phone, hand sanitizer, spare glasses, and such like that.

And I keep it all in the same pack, so my GHB is my EDC bag as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 04:38 PM
wanderin' roun somewhars

My get home bag is just that; MY get home bag. I put in what I want and what I believe I'll need and I don't try to justify it to anyone else but myself. It weighs about 18#s and I consider time spent carrying that as conditioning for any other time that I might be forced to carry it longer or more seriously.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elessar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Bourbon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
My get home bag is just that; MY get home bag. I put in what I want and what I believe I'll need and I don't try to justify it to anyone else but myself. It weighs about 18#s and I consider time spent carrying that as conditioning for any other time that I might be forced to carry it longer or more seriously.
I think you took my OP too literally. Maybe a better way to say it is what criteria do you apply to include things in your GHB? I'm looking for the types of scenarios you are planning for so that I may spot anything I am missing. Plus I think it could help others make sure they don't miss anything. Not to be perceived as I need to approve what you do.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM

I try to caution people to plan on needing twice the normal walking time to get home, thus, twice the food and water. If conditions are bad enough, the smart people won't be simply walking. There will be scouting, surveillance, stopping to listen, and most importantly, walking quietly. To travel by foot safely, it's not unreasonable to plan on only walking 1mph.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent Jay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 08:26 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 20,745 Times in 7,683 Posts

Only you can plan concerning what you really need. 70 miles from home routinely, or maybe routinely 5 miles from home, or possibly retired and only leave home to shop, etc. Mine is a cut down version of my BOB - very cut down - and only includes those items that would probably be used in the first day or two.

The basic needs are met. Fire, water, protection, medical , a little food. That's just basic, but as a general rule I'm somewhere between 5 to 20 miles from home. If I plan on being further away, then I carry one of my larger bags. One thing I believe can easily be done is to pack way more than you really need and finding that the weight is not as manageable as one had imagined. Of course in saying that, what will inevitably happen is an invent will occur between your location and home and you will find yourself very short of needed supplies lol. Just use common sense, and pack what you believe to be most important and the amount of weight you can manage.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,971 Times in 3,817 Posts

The only criteria, justification, or explanation needed for anything in a GHB, BOB, or any other kit is simple:

You assessed a potential threat. You analyzed that threat to see what could be done to mitigate it. You made a plan. You gathered the skills and resources to make that plan happen.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 12:17 AM
Insert Name Here

Thanked 1,968 Times in 882 Posts

I work in construction and I am around heavy construction equipment all the time so as one of my preps I keep a Caterpillar, John Deere, and Case IH equipment keys. All of these tractors use the same key so you can jump into any one of them, start it up and go. They may not be fast but they hold a lot of fuel and can go through almost any terrain.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sparks69 For This Useful Post: