My thoughts on INCH kits - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first aid kits - thoughts? Jtarpley131 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 104 06-29-2018 08:47 AM
INCH by inch... SirThrivalist Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 10-25-2017 03:36 AM
7-7.5 inch knife with 4.5 inch handle TheWoodsman Knives, Swords & Axes 55 10-17-2016 11:04 AM
A few thoughts about Survival and anyone else can add their thoughts also Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 79 05-19-2013 04:24 PM
How do I zero a 16 inch Colt 6920 16 inch m4? FloridaState Rifle Forum 11 05-15-2013 06:56 PM
16 inch AR VS 20 inch AR Dremer03 Military Weapons Forum 47 09-06-2012 06:25 AM
inch by inch..... miss becky General Discussion 19 12-25-2011 08:05 AM
updated thoughts: Migration of the masses: Realistic thoughts of PSHTF ??? Castlemom Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 05-24-2011 05:44 PM
Delton AR-15 18 inch barrel 3/4 inch thick 1fixitman Military Weapons Forum 4 03-19-2011 06:32 AM
11 inch DSA FAL? Ultra reliable sbr wanted... Is the 11 inch FAL effective? FloridaState Military Weapons Forum 67 09-12-2010 06:01 PM

Old 09-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Hunter

Advertise Here

Lol mr young I'm heading into my 40's living where the interior of thd

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Redlineshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Hunter

I live in a country where the interior is nothing but desert and average town/city distance exceeds 300-1000 km.

Walking out of the metro area wouldn't be done, anywhere from 45-90 minutes by motor vehicle, may several days to several weeks to several months to cover by foot or pushbike, the viability of an 3 day inch bag solution becomes pointless to discuss..

An inch bag has only the capacity to serve you for 3 days, this mig0t be apllicable in the case of a car, 4x4, truck, prime mover, aair plane, motor bike .

Sitting on the average of 50-75 miles an hour vs 1.5-15 miles an hour between walking and riding a pushbike..

my question is how long do you think you will last with that 72 hour pack you asume a lot of things are going to be doable and when the dose of realiyty hits you that you are ill prepared to survive longer than that,.

people assume they will be able to hunt and fish and assume what they catch/kill will be edible for humans to eat..

im not saying 72 hours isnt a solution, when it is though have you thought about of what will be a need beyond 72hours, and how much crap you will need to actually survive and how much you can physically carry..
for 1 person let alone the concept of a fanily of 4-7..

3 days in a motor vehicle might get you 3-4 states away, the same 3 days by foot or push bike be lucky to see get 1-3 counties over..

Old 09-06-2017, 02:24 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,409 Times in 8,959 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
I live in a country where the interior is nothing but desert and average town/city distance exceeds 300-1000 km.

Walking out of the metro area wouldn't be done, anywhere from 45-90 minutes by motor vehicle, may several days to several weeks to several months to cover by foot or pushbike, the viability of an 3 day inch bag solution becomes pointless to discuss..

An inch bag has only the capacity to serve you for 3 days, this mig0t be apllicable in the case of a car, 4x4, truck, prime mover, aair plane, motor bike .

Sitting on the average of 50-75 miles an hour vs 1.5-15 miles an hour between walking and riding a pushbike..

my question is how long do you think you will last with that 72 hour pack you asume a lot of things are going to be doable and when the dose of realiyty hits you that you are ill prepared to survive longer than that,.

people assume they will be able to hunt and fish and assume what they catch/kill will be edible for humans to eat..

im not saying 72 hours isnt a solution, when it is though have you thought about of what will be a need beyond 72hours, and how much crap you will need to actually survive and how much you can physically carry..
for 1 person let alone the concept of a fanily of 4-7..

3 days in a motor vehicle might get you 3-4 states away, the same 3 days by foot or push bike be lucky to see get 1-3 counties over..

Perhaps we are discussing apples and oranges. I am not sure why the 72 hour references are included. My understanding of INCH is 'I'm Not Coming Home'. As in ever. There is no 72 hours involved. An INCH kit (very seldom a bag, to start with) must cover anything from 24 hours to a year. 72 hours just does not come into it. The INCH kit must get a person to a safe place where a new start can be had. Which can take a year or more.

If I am missing something in the replies, please let me know.

Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 05:26 AM
Hunter

That was my point jerry, im seeing a lot of inch systems based from a 72 hour packs floating around the interwebs, in the realization that most are going to be ill-prepared to deal swith long term survival situations, i believe looking at the show beargrills and the ilk produce it scares the living crap out of me in a realistic situation you will not live on the bare minimum of supplies.. i think the romancing of this train of thought will likely see you dead before that pack runs out..

Old 09-07-2017, 02:13 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
That was my point jerry, im seeing a lot of inch systems based from a 72 hour packs floating around the interwebs, in the realization that most are going to be ill-prepared to deal swith long term survival situations, i believe looking at the show beargrills and the ilk produce it scares the living crap out of me in a realistic situation you will not live on the bare minimum of supplies.. i think the romancing of this train of thought will likely see you dead before that pack runs out..

Ah! The light over my head just came on. Got it. Thank you.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Hunter

You going to be walking to an area you can hunt..

I know it will take to live a long time and a small inch kit isn't going to cut it.. sad to say..

You also assume what you catch is going to be edible to eat..

Looking at the floods in texas as example you think anything within the river system will be consumable for human to eat..

In my case an inch kit would not be a walking out solution of over 300lbs or more and that is just food and water..

Go and look at what a frontiers person had and you may understand more in how to live..

Old 09-08-2017, 07:20 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Go and look at what a frontiers person had and you may understand more in how to live..

My whole point. People will need the modern equivalent to relocate and start over, which is exactly what the migrants did.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,464 Times in 9,428 Posts

Quote:

With due respect to the interwebs, anyone posting an inch system with supplies for only 72 hrs, does not understand the inch concept.

I suggest that you put aside these posting and consider an inch system involving multiple caches of food and consumable items.

An inch system for one person, for one year, can easily equal 80 lbs of gear, and 320 lbs of food and consumables.

I believe you previously stated that a person can not carry a proper inch system without help. This is correct. Unless you preposition the bulk of this, and Cache it securely in a sustainable area, you will need a car/boat/pickup/horses/ATV to move that much stuff.

My inch system for two people, for one year, will just barely fit within my Jeep Wrangler. Since I live full time in a sustainable area, I keep it stored in a cache, and I don't anticipate having to haul it anywhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:48 PM
1, 2, 3 - HAM I am!!

Location: in a house...sometimes, someone's else house...other times, contracted house made of tarp or canvas

Thanks for sharing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Propofol For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Hunter

In my situation it will be a transportable home full of supplies as a inch kit

Moving on from there i think people who look into inch kits as a building (HICK Industries you may or may not fall into this category of thinking ) block that may not see to the intended, people assume a lot of things are going to be accessible in an emergency though fail to look past the obvious..

You can have 500 geo caches floating about though in the time of need can you actually access them at a moments notice..

Old 05-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Hunter

Oh Jerry D Young..

My inch kit would be a prime mover with the capacity to ride on rails..

from there 3 trailers full of food and drinking supplies fuel 50 ton of wood

multifuel generator may be a tanker trailer or 2 of fuel and water..

tools

food supply enough for 2-5 years and enough seeds to grow things in..

comms with sat and hf radio..

yes I to agree on the 72 hour principle is a full hardy exercise to begin with because I doubt you can clear 100-350 km in 3 days by either walking or riding a pushbike without it having access to an engine of some type..

I see the state of a camping logic applied to the prepping mind and sadly I think a lot of people don't live past 3 days to 2 weeks at a time and say this, I think people have a great deal of issues trying to live past this constraint... without thinking about long term survival..
Old 05-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,921 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Oh Jerry D Young..

My inch kit would be a prime mover with the capacity to ride on rails..

from there 3 trailers full of food and drinking supplies fuel 50 ton of wood

multifuel generator may be a tanker trailer or 2 of fuel and water..

tools

food supply enough for 2-5 years and enough seeds to grow things in..

comms with sat and hf radio..

yes I to agree on the 72 hour principle is a full hardy exercise to begin with because I doubt you can clear 100-350 km in 3 days by either walking or riding a pushbike without it having access to an engine of some type..

I see the state of a camping logic applied to the prepping mind and sadly I think a lot of people don't live past 3 days to 2 weeks at a time and say this, I think people have a great deal of issues trying to live past this constraint... without thinking about long term survival..
So you say your inch kit would be.........

Does that mean you have this Prime mover based setup or that it is just what you would get as an INCH kit?

If you have it, then that is great and you may well have a really cool INCH kit on wheels. If you don't have that now then all you have is an idea (or perhaps a fantasy) and you are well behind those of us who have taken the idea of secondary bug out seriously and actually put together INCH capabilities/vehicles/resources.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Prepping is not prepping until it gets past the ideas stage....and all the way to the capabilities stage.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Hunter

well that was my pipe dream if i had the money that is what I would base a Inch kit on..

as a basis as that would be a considered living solution long term..

even if i scaled that back to a land cruiser and a 53' 5th wheel same principle will apply
Old 03-31-2019, 08:30 AM

jerry's a funny guy. Need an 18 wheeler to haul or just store all that stuff. The inch thing is bs. best have what you need already cached at your BOL and that BOL better not be more than 1-2 night's hike (or bicycle ride) from your normal AO. If it is, you'll probably never get there. You simply can't carry enough stuff to amount to a hoot, while having to worry about hostiles. and there WILL be hostiles, count on it!
The Following User Says Thank You to beingto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Awesome

Thanked 22,013 Times in 7,333 Posts

no inch kit is complete without a ruler in standard/imperial units.. tape measures also acceptable
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 07:23 PM

I need one of these!
The Following User Says Thank You to Csn1993 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Just purchased a new Inch Gear Container. It's a used Ram 1500 Van Conversion. It has the interior room, payload, and tow rąting needed to carry the gear and supplies needed to evacuate an area fast, sustain life for months, and rebuild a my life somewhere safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190810_095713_1565459532063.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	290492  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,263 Posts

Better to have it pre-placed and cached, friend. Your method is very tempting and very vulnerable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,921 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Just purchased a new Inch Gear Container. It's a used Ram 1500 Van Conversion. It has the interior room, payload, and tow rąting needed to carry the gear and supplies needed to evacuate an area fast, sustain life for months, and rebuild a my life somewhere safe.
That looks great.

Being mostly dedicated to that purpose will allow you to set it up well for that job and have it at least partly loaded all the time.

Mobility is a great and often under-rated prep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Better to have it pre-placed and cached, friend. Your method is very tempting and very vulnerable.
Yeah - thanks for the tip.

Caches are great as long as you correctly guess which places will be accessible and safe in a crisis.

But prepping is about having the best odds when you have to roll the dice (or they get rolled for you).

So the more serious preppers here realize that most questions in what to prep do not have either or answers. The correct answer is almost always "all the above".

Some of us have caches and mobility - and the mobility is packed with enough resources/supplies so that, if we can't get to our caches (or they are in an unsafe area), we will still be OK.

As to whether a van is tempting and vulnerable, it is to take you places where less people will see you (and be "tempted") and where you will be less vulnerable. Many members here post that having a homestead growing food is the ultimate prep - but which is more tempting and vulnerable, a homestead growing food or a van?

Those of us with homesteads, who accept how vulnerable they might be, develop mobility/INCH capabilities.

It improves our odds of surviving whatever happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
That looks great.

Being mostly dedicated to that purpose will allow you to set it up well for that job and have it at least partly loaded all the time.

Mobility is a great and often under-rated prep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Yeah - thanks for the tip.

Caches are great as long as you correctly guess which places will be accessible and safe in a crisis.

But prepping is about having the best odds when you have to roll the dice (or they get rolled for you).

So the more serious preppers here realize that most questions in what to prep do not have either or answers. The correct answer is almost always "all the above".

Some of us have caches and mobility - and the mobility is packed with enough resources/supplies so that, if we can't get to our caches (or they are in an unsafe area), we will still be OK.

As to whether a van is tempting and vulnerable, it is to take you places where less people will see you (and be "tempted") and where you will be less vulnerable. Many members here post that having a homestead growing food is the ultimate prep - but which is more tempting and vulnerable, a homestead growing food or a van?

Those of us with homesteads, who accept how vulnerable they might be, develop mobility/INCH capabilities.

It improves our odds of surviving whatever happens.
One of the advantages of being retired and living on a small farm in a remote area, is I dont really worry much about bugging out at the first sign of trouble. Instead, I looked at the real risks I could face here and developed a five step responce to the SHTF.
Living in a remote area.
Hydration Bag,
Vehicle Bob,
Evacuation Van,
Remote Wilderness Cache,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: