Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 06:58 PM
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 05-31-2018 06:50 PM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 01:12 PM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 09:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 12:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 10:49 PM
"The days of Rambo are over" marbro General Discussion 233 06-30-2013 05:08 PM
Media coins nutjob as a "survivalist/rambo" type NoMoreOp4 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 06-19-2011 12:05 PM
"Rambo" survival knife Zodiac. Knives, Swords & Axes 30 08-22-2010 09:20 PM

Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 AM
Thank you very much

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,540 Posts

Advertise Here

I found the perfect helmet for you. http://www.google.com/search?q=rambo...wyMR1IHE0zqBCM
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 AM
Birds of a Feather

lol,

dude, I can understand getting a rescue helmet, but getting a helmet to protect from earthquakes is a little nonsensical. If you have ever had an earthquake one thing is certain probably 99% likely you will be caught unaware, and things will be over as fast as you have time to get to the nearest doorway.

Advise on helmets, can't go wrong with military, I prefer steel over Kevlar cause you can cook in it in a pinch.

Military helmets are suggested because they are usually atleast 3A rated and any attachments that are out there can be gotten.. military kit is usually cheaper than commercial because it is mass produced. Normally quite rugged the DOD has a pretty good acquisition program.

I got my 3A steel from Israel, wasn't too pricey. There are some pretty good arms dealers in the US and internationally.

You can try ebay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...rent+militaria

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

This is Kevlar labled as SOCOM style at about 100US.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RBR-Tactica...-eWC:rk:2:pf:0

Bear in mind Kevlar does have a lifespan, for rock fall though this should do the trick.. you can get padding inserts.. not bad for climbing etc.. however wouldn't per se trust it for bullets but still should be good and bunch of attachments available for that style.

I think US marshalls also used this style.. just like with the Oregon hits.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:14 AM
Thank you very much

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,540 Posts

People the thread is from 2011. I'm sure he already picked one out. That's why I was joking around in previous posts.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate74 View Post
In my area, my main threat is earthquakes. I can see a situation where after a major quake, I'm going through a house with moderate to heavy structural damage looking for...well whatever and I will want some sort of head protection.

I looked at surplus kevlar MITCH as PASGT which would serve the purpose but I have some problems with a) spending $200-$300 and b) perhaps appearing like a member of the military when I'm not. I don't imagine incoming 7.62 rounds from the zombies will be of much conern, but falling chunks of dry wall and what not might be.

Almost all the posts I'm finding point to steel pots or military style kevlar helmets so I'm wondering what others have found. Also, I have a big dome at about 7-5/8 to 7-3/4. What is that in military size speak?

thanks for any thoughts on this.
Wouldn't rock climbing helmets be useful and less expensive? The problem with military steel pots is you have to buy a helmet liner and that **** gets heavy and hot. Seems like everyone is a rockclimber these days. I see them for sale in Facebook Marketplace

Bob
Marion, IA
Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 62,713 Times in 19,338 Posts

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,590 Posts

My helmet for such purposes is a Bullard Wildland Fire Fighting Helmet.

Lots of options as to shape and colors, suspension type, etc. From about $50 up.

https://www.bullard.com/product/bull...d-fire-helmets

Bullard Wildland Fire Helmets
Bullard WildfireŽ helmets are specifically engineered to meet the special needs of wildland/forestry firefighters. Manufactured from heat-resistant thermoplastic for superior impact and penetration protection, Wildfire helmets meet and exceed the performance specifications of NFPA 1977-2016. These helmets also exceed all major state fire codes for wildland firefighting. Wildfire helmets can also be customized by the Bullard Logo Shop. The Bullard Logo Shop uses the latest pad printing technology to print your logo or insignia in vivid colors.

Easy to adjust Flex-GearŽ ratchet sizing suspension
Thermoplastic shell
Available in cap style or full brim hat style
Reflective lime-yellow stripes
Three goggle clips
Adjustable chinstrap
Comfortable 6-point suspension
Leather ratchet cover (on ratchet models)
Absorbent cotton brow pad
VelcroŽ attachments inside shell
Meets NFPA 1977-2011 specifications
Now available with an Extra-Large Full-Brim shell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FH911H_profile.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	289316   Click image for larger version

Name:	FH911XL.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	289318   Click image for larger version

Name:	FH911H_front.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	289320  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,088 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
I've worn work helmets for years.
Wore metal ones in oil field.
Wore plastic ones with telephone company.
Plastic UV wear out and get brittle. I picked mine up by bill and it broke off helmet.
Would hate to get hit by debris and have helmet break like an egg.
Good motorcycle helmet would work too.

The good ones are polycarbonate- a NFPA 1951 rated hard hat is going to start at $ 200. I wear Bullards for about half that designed for industrial rappelling. One saved my life one day ( I was going to hang off a rope, but got hit in the head with a falling bar grate.). I don’t wear cheap ones anymore.

Note they are hotter and heavier than suspension only hard hats. I wear the standard (NFPA1977) ones on wildfire.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 PM
American Survivor

Thanked 1,772 Times in 331 Posts

A good rock climbing helmet such as Petzel, Mammut or Black Diamond is the way to go, light weight, secure and time tested. The Petzel I bought even has a mount for my go pro. I have a military kevlar and its still to heavy. With all the other gear you will be carrying last thing you need is a heavy helmet.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 62,713 Times in 19,338 Posts

How about a pith helmet? Or plastic version of one?

I have one of each and they sure are nice when it gets around 100 degrees out and sunny.

https://www.amazon.com/Jacobson-Hat-...4M45RRA2JTQYM9
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,679 Times in 13,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate74 View Post
In my area, my main threat is earthquakes. I can see a situation where after a major quake, I'm going through a house with moderate to heavy structural damage looking for...well whatever and I will want some sort of head protection.

I looked at surplus kevlar MITCH as PASGT which would serve the purpose but I have some problems with a) spending $200-$300 and b) perhaps appearing like a member of the military when I'm not. I don't imagine incoming 7.62 rounds from the zombies will be of much conern, but falling chunks of dry wall and what not might be.

Almost all the posts I'm finding point to steel pots or military style kevlar helmets so I'm wondering what others have found. Also, I have a big dome at about 7-5/8 to 7-3/4. What is that in military size speak?

thanks for any thoughts on this.
Have you considered a boarding pass?

Time to repeal the 17th.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:36 PM

I'm a fan of the ProTec. We wore them as contractors in Afghanistan rather than Kevlars. There was a far greater chance of a car accident than getting shot in the head. Besides, I come from a Special Ops background. There's more tactical value to being able to hear and see clearly than there is in putting your head in a bucket.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,334 Times in 2,048 Posts

Ops Core is the popular helmet in SOF now. Lighter and more comfortable than the older ones but still offers reasonable ballistic coverage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future...hnology_helmet

Several airsoft versions based on the Ops Core design give the protection of a bump helmet but the versatility of an actual military helmet (rails, mounts, camo covers, etc). (Link) And they don't cost $1500 if you don't need the ballistic protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post: