Friendly reminder about asking questions and starting threads - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*** Ladies Section*** REMINDER kokosmom2 Ladies Section 4 02-04-2019 08:44 PM
Reminder: Take Care of Your Carry Gun AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-12-2017 08:00 PM
Yearly reminder to replace Shotgun magazine springs Blueline Firearms General Discussion 28 10-23-2016 02:25 AM
Reminder: Your Remington Model 700 (or Other) Bolt Action Rifle May be Defective AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-04-2016 04:30 PM

Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,080 Times in 676 Posts

Advertise Here

Thanks kev.

And another good job for mike and the rest of the mods.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattsn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,428 Times in 2,690 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I agree that being a mod is a thankless task. I'm a mod on another forum, and, as they do here, DO NOT shut down a thread because someone asks a question. In fact, I tell newbies to ASK QUESTIONS. The only time I shut down a thread is if A) it is SPAM (in which case, the spammer also gets the 'ban-hammer') B) the thread has gotten out of hand, and people are "flaming" each other, or being deliberately insulting. I a person is obnoxious and insulting, the usual procedure is 1) send a "warning" via private message that they need to cease and desist that behavior 2) if the first doesn't work, then give them (and the rest of the forum) a 'vacation" (i.e. a temporary ban) 3. If they still can't behave when they come back (or if they start snotting off to the mods) then they get a permanent ban.

The mods here do a great job at what can at times be a frustrating, thankless task. So, THANK YOU, mods for doing what you do, and THANK YOU, Kev for letting us in here to play in your sandbox.

For anyone who doesn't like Kev's rules, just remember that you are a GUEST here, as are we all, and you should act like a guest and be courteous to your host and the other guests, or leave and find another party to "grace" with your presence. That, or take the time and expense to host your OWN party (forum)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,186 Times in 7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I agree that being a mod is a thankless task. I'm a mod on another forum, and, as they do here, DO NOT shut down a thread because someone asks a question.
Thank you.

In all reality, this forum has barely any rules. The community should be a reflection of its members.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,893 Times in 6,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9111315 View Post
There are at least two ways to search, Internal Search and a Google [Your Question] Site:survivalistboards.com Google search.
I'm finding myself using the Google "site:<domain>" trick a lot these days, since the SB search stopped working a number of months ago. It's somewhat better now, but the SB search still can't find any of my own posts more recent than about 24 hrs ago. (ie., Say, I've posted 2 or 3 times in a given day, but searches for those posts never turn up in the SB search; I've even gone into my Profile's statistics, and it doesn't pull up in there, either).

Still a fantastic forum. Mega-thanks to kev and to the mods (even MikeK! )!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clocker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 32,083 Times in 13,399 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Let me interject this as well if I may...

If you're starting a thread; utilize the "Tags" when starting it. IMO this is a hugely under utilized tool and I catch myself not using them.

This will allow it to be more 'searchable' thereby increasing traffic and more interaction with other members.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OLDWarrior64 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,216 Times in 496 Posts

Thank you Kev and mods for putting up with me!

Whose turn is it to derail this thread, it's suppose to be Kev's, but OP are not allowed to derail their own thread?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 62,600 Times in 19,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker View Post
I'm finding myself using the Google "site:<domain>" trick a lot these days, since the SB search stopped working a number of months ago. It's somewhat better now, but the SB search still can't find any of my own posts more recent than about 24 hrs ago. (ie., Say, I've posted 2 or 3 times in a given day, but searches for those posts never turn up in the SB search; I've even gone into my Profile's statistics, and it doesn't pull up in there, either).

Still a fantastic forum. Mega-thanks to kev and to the mods (even MikeK! )!!
I used to think the search function didn't work until I noticed you have to check the box that says "search entire posts" instead of just search thread titles.

It verks now, yah.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 08:48 AM
VIP Member

Thanks Kev, i agree with many here; this forum is most likely the fairest, most easy going forum i have spent time at.
thanks to all contributors!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 11:10 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,451 Times in 10,284 Posts

Hang on a second, this topic about asking questions and starting threads has been done already. People should really do a search first before pos.....

Okay, I jest.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,610 Times in 4,365 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

The Moderators here do a great job IMO. It is not easy dealing with some of the people here. And I fully agree with Kev's sentiments. Although, it does not hurt to do a quick search and see if the topic has recently been explored. It is not a big deal to me either way. We are here to help the novice and pro alike. Many times information changes in short order. The willingness for people to share the exhaustive research done is what makes this the absolute best and most authoritative site on prepping there is....in the world.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Hard Wired

Thanks Kev
Old 01-27-2018, 09:11 PM

Great policy. I am on an automotive forum where people are always told to use the search function or buy a repair manual. You never know when starting a new discussion will bring out some new thoughts on a subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
A friendly reminder to all members that you can ask whatever you want without the fear of being told to "Use the search feature."

It has ALWAYS been my policy that members can ask whatever they want without fear of the thread being locked, or the member being dinged by a moderator. That is, as long as the question is inline with the topic of the forum.

Sincerely,

The owner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fatlock For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Im one of those folks,that'll do a search first,before starting a new.and if i don't get my answers that way.then i'll start a new one.on account i believe a person should go about it that way.but yet.a search don't always come up with any type of answer.so a person has to start a new thread anyhow. There's a couple of sites where i did a lil search for new members.in which they got at least 2 or 3 answrrs they needed that way..
Old 08-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,258 Posts

It doesn't matter which you do. If you search for a thread on the topic you want info on & post in it, 1/2 of them bitch at you for dragging up an old thread. If you start a new topic the other half bitch at you for not using the search function & posting in one of the older threads on that topic. Heck, I've even seen a few people complain both ways.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 AM
Hunter

sad to say that happens when you have policies in place you must reply to atleast 10+ threads before you can start posting your own topics and most people don't bother looking at the date of the last post thus a thread that likely should of been locked years ago suddenly becomes live again sometimes with the displeasure of the older members of the site no matter their age...

Sometimes fresh insight can be a good thing and sometimes a bad thing depending on who reads the comment..
Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM

thank you for stating your expectations and for your help.