Survivalist Forum banner
8K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  "Spoon" 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, the weather has FINALLY straightened out enough to let me start on this year's garden. Have the "cool season" things started...swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, carrots, and peas. Also took a bunch of those tall "tomato towers" that open up, and linked them together to form a fence along the top and side of the terraced area, and some smaller wire fencing to the outside of it to HOPEFULLY keep the deer and other "critters" out of the garden this year.

Here are some pics of what is going on so far.

THis is the "overall view" of the right-hand terraced area.
Stone wall Wall Lawn Grass Land lot

The plants on the bottom tier are turnips that I planted last fall and allowed to overwinter. I'm letting them "flower", so that I can harvest and save the seed. In that same tier, I also have carrots that were also planted last fall and allowed to overwinter.
Plant Flower Herb Subshrub Shrub

Up on the top tier, the peas and spinach are beginning to sprout. They're a little hard to see, but if you look close, you can see the baby pea plants
Soil Grass Plant Tree

and spinach sprouts
Soil Wall Groundcover Grass Plant

I've also added something new to the food production this year...RABBITS!
Yard Property Lawn Grass Backyard

The female is in the right-hand side of the taller hutch that is painted the same colors as the house. The male is in the smaller hutch on the right. I'll be breeding them tomorrow. The little guy in the middle is a pet, rather than a meat rabbit. An added bonus, is that the bunnypoo (of which they are prodigious producers) can EITHER be composted OR added DIRECTLY to the garden. So, in addition to their offspring providing me with meat, they ALSO provide plenty of fertilizer for the garden.

The additional 2 photos are one of the blackberry and one of the blueberry plants that I planted last year.

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
Got a raised bed built on one side of the greenhouse today. I will be filling it with rabbit poo that I've been composting, then a layer of topsoil over that. Have it split into 3 sections, so will probably do lettuce, and spinach in two of the sections, and leave the third for overwintering my artichokes (that I;ll be digging up from their current locations) and a few other plants.

#31 ·
Finished filling the raised beds in the greenhouse. added lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, Fennel, and snap pea seeds in the two left sections
Tile Wall Floor Ceiling Marble

and put the artichokes, elderberries, and a couple of herbs that I'm overwintering in the far right bed.
Roof Plant Soil Grass Wood

Also dug up carrots, turnips, and potatoes, and pulled a few late tomatoes today.
Vegetable Local food Food Root vegetable Tuber

#34 ·
One thing I've noticed about the new plantings in the greenhouse raised beds....although they ARE growing, the are growing VERY slowly! Probably due to the cold temperatures (it's in the 20's and SNOWING outside, although with the heat lamps I have on to keep the rabbits' water from freezing, it's in the upper 30's to low 40's inside the greenhouse.) They ARE growing, though! (I'm "watering" them with rabbit pee when I clean out the "droppings" pans...pee onto the plants, and the poo into the "holding can" (big garbage can on wheels where I'm "holding" the droppings until I can get them up to the garden/composter)...they seem to like it, and it cuts down on the smell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.