Survivalist Forum banner

Self powered emergency lights

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Wazza 
#1 ·
I believe in thinking long term. So self powered lights make a lot of sense to me. I have a solar set up to charge batteries but thats an extra step. These are self contained at home and on the go. Theres a lot of choices and differences in quality. Not always a reflection of price. To a certain extent those with more LEDs do put out more light but the difference isnt profound and the output time is significantly affected. I tend to use the low settings vs constant winding.

Solar charging is a nice feature. A decent solar charge lasts longer than a short term crank. But I dont consider it essential. I consider cranking a requirement because its light on demand. Although I do have a couple that are strictly solar but those are in addition to crank lights. Here are a few of mine that have worked well. I pulled the links off amazon but if you can find a store you like to support I say go for it.

Basic hand crank lantern for area lighting. This one gives about 45 minutes of decent output from 1 minute of winding. Small enough that I consider it packable. Not super bright but enough to light up a room for tasks. Enough light for me to read by if Im close to it.

Amazon.com: Wind 'N Go Mini LED Lantern: Sports & Outdoors

Crank/solar light & radio. Consolidates a couple needs into one package. This one is the best Ive tried. My favorite feature on this one is that the battery pack is easily accessible. Rechargeables are said to have life spans of many years but I keep a spare. Had to order the battery pack off the internet because its not something I could find on store shelves.

Amazon.com: Et?n FR160B Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio with Flashlight, Solar Power and Cell Phone Charger (Black): Electronics

Found a few out there made for the youngins. I really like this lego man crank light. A nice product under normal circumstances. They can take it to bed and leave it on as they fall asleep without burning up batteries. In a power outage or emergency the toy aspect of it provides some emotional comfort. Light output aint stellar but better than I expected and its made fairly sturdy.

Amazon.com: LEGO Hand Crank Dynamo Flash Light Torch Giant Lego Man Stands 7.5" Tall (Colors May Vary): Toys & Games

If anyone has other lights they like post em.

See less See more
#2 ·
The small garden variety path lights are great for inside at night or in a tent, last a very long time, charge all day and hang one from a hook, give off enough light to move around, even held close enough could work on fixing gear or locating something.
Like the Radio, I have the dynamo torch, amazing, bright, One or two cranks and good to go, haven't tested how long it will stay on, essential for an emergency light

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.