Survivalist Forum banner

Paper money vs Silver

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Hess 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Medium of exchange

PUD. I know some folks at a grocery store that would sell me groceries in a heartbeat for silver. My Local Death Merchant (Gun Dealer) even gives a discount for payments made in gold or silver. A lot of folks are starting to realize the "Value" of precious metals over paper. However do not get the Fever trying to get rich. As the "Dollar" looses value, the "value of gold and silver rise.
As an example, a loaf of bread is still only 3 silver dimes. Metals will preserve wealth given time and the right circumstances.

#12 ·
PUD. I know some folks at a grocery store that would sell me groceries in a heartbeat for silver. My Local Death Merchant (Gun Dealer) even gives a discount for payments made in gold or silver. A lot of folks are starting to realize the "Value" of precious metals over paper. However do not get the Fever trying to get rich. As the "Dollar" looses value, the "value of gold and silver rise.
As an example, a loaf of bread is still only 3 silver dimes. Metals will preserve wealth given time and the right circumstances.
Agreed. Acceptance of precious metals as payment for goods/services is a growing trend.

#10 ·
I have no interest in hording silver,gold or any other presious metal. Unless you count brass casing, and lead. When shtf money (metal or paper) will be pointless. Your better served to spend that cash on consumables, and bartering items.

#11 ·
Brother you have just way over-simplified a debate that has been raging on this forum for years. I highly recommend you do a thread search. Whichever side is right, the claim you just made is kindergarten talk in a collegiate level debate. I'm not trying to be rude, but you really might want to review some of the previous debates before jumping in at ground level.

Welcome to the boards.

#13 ·
you do realize that silver attracts, holds and emits radiation. it will be the last thing you want around if there is either war or a dirty bomb issue. besides that i'd rather lug around extra items i could use and trade, rather than something i could neither eat, or help me to live. but i will search the threads . appreciated. its just my opinion
vincent

#14 ·
ok after reading many of the threads on gold and or silver, i see your point about the value of holding some gold for barter, rebuild, etc. i still dont fancy silver due to its negitive atributes. what about diamonds and other presious stones?

#15 ·
Paper money is the thing to have as long as everybody has blind faith in it. When people realize that it has no intrinsic value, perhaps after the inevitable hyperinflation comes, silver will shine. Silver can't be printed or burned, and it can't be created with a few key strokes by a government sanctioned criminal in a central bank. The secret is balance. Have some of each. As the time of financial collapse approaches have more in silver and less in paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.