Storing shotgun action open - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Keltec (not quite ready for Combat) KSG Shotgun Indra Shotgun Forum 6 10-28-2017 12:33 PM
Winchester SXP Black Shadow 12ga Pump Action Shotgun (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 06-02-2017 03:13 PM
MagTech 45F Cowboy Action .45 LC 200GR LFN 50RD BOX Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-17-2017 11:20 AM
Ithica 37 Featherlight 16ga Pump Action Shotgun (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-16-2017 11:26 AM

Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflincher View Post
After 125 years of American pump shotguns, you're the first to figure this out?

You've NEVER heard it recommended before?

Maybe there's a reason no respected self defense guru has this on their instruction sheet?
In kindergarten we were taught to be nice to each other. Would you speak to a stranger in person like that?

Buddy had an idea and put it out there for discussion. I'm not a fan of it either but we can be civil and provide concrete logical reasons why we don't think it's a good idea.

Me personally IF I could store a loaded gun legally I would chamber a round, top off the mag and put the safety on and store it pointed down so I'm not flagging my face when I pull it out of the cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,097 Times in 3,298 Posts

I believe that it referred to ghost loading a shotgun
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,546 Posts

It's a creative idea but I prefer to leave my 590A1 loaded, round in the chamber and safety on. If you are worried about it falling over just find a better corner to lean it in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,903 Times in 905 Posts
Exclamation

Ghost loading is more for game guns than self defense guns!

https://youtu.be/dyqy8AC3uPQ

Is a good example of how to store your shotgun for self defense. There are a couple variations with safety on or off and pump locked/hammer cocked or not but the above is a very solid starting place!

In parts of the country where mud dabbers or other bugs are an issue an oily gun rag over the end of the barrel is a good idea and plastic/rubber coated magnets can be used to keep them handy in unusual places!

https://www.aiptactical.com

Has some good information on breaking in a shotgun and some good information on using one!

I tend to upgrade my guns in a similar fashion most of which can be learned by watching his videos!

Better springs, safety per your preference, better follower, night sights and light followed by a break in/dependability check with the occasional cleaning and quality proper lube will give you a tool that will last longer than you will!

SD
The Following User Says Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Prepared

Default Musta been Canuck Kindergarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmerc View Post
In kindergarten we were taught to be nice to each other. Would you speak to a stranger in person like that?

Buddy had an idea and put it out there for discussion. I'm not a fan of it either but we can be civil and provide concrete logical reasons why we don't think it's a good idea.

Me personally IF I could store a loaded gun legally I would chamber a round, top off the mag and put the safety on and store it pointed down so I'm not flagging my face when I pull it out of the cabinet.

Believe you are confusing "critical" with "civil".

Sure you could volunteer to moderate if you want to do that.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,903 Times in 905 Posts
Exclamation

Probably stating the obvious, but anytime you change anything on one of your defensive guns go through the dependability check test fire again!

Twice Iíve had parts made for a gun have unexpected negative dependability side affects that would have been tragic in a defensive situation!

SD
The Following User Says Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,039 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Last night I in doing some training with my pump shotgun, I discovered that you can +1 capacity of a pump shotgun by storing it action open, with a shell on the elevator. Basically, you 1/2 pump it to open it, and top off the magazine with another shell. Or you can manually prevent a shell from loading, and just drop a shell in thru the breach/opening.

This basically adds one to capacity, while being a drop safety measure. The gun is ready to go, just push the forearm forward and it's ready to fire.

Looking around the web, I've not seen this discussed anywhere else. But some people keep the action open to allow better air circulation in humid climates, to deter rust, and/or for added safety as I've discussed.

Does anyone else do this, heard of this, or read of this?
While I understand what out explaining, I would suggest that you ask yourself the following.........

Are the additional steps needed to add one more shell worth the time vs a loaded shotgun with safety on?

Taking into account that this particular shotgun is your literal go to choice via home defense near bed side, what is more important? Which method would be more KISS friendly in the event you find the need for it when your half asleep ? What method are you more familiar with now/ have confidence in?

Imo, the additional shell does not outweigh a loaded HD gun with safety on .....especially when HD/ PDW is the weapon' s primary function.

11B
Old 03-04-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
While I understand what out explaining, I would suggest that you ask yourself the following.........

Are the additional steps needed to add one more shell worth the time vs a loaded shotgun with safety on?

Taking into account that this particular shotgun is your literal go to choice via home defense near bed side, what is more important? Which method would be more KISS friendly in the event you find the need for it when your half asleep ? What method are you more familiar with now/ have confidence in?

Imo, the additional shell does not outweigh a loaded HD gun with safety on .....especially when HD/ PDW is the weapon' s primary function.

11B
I love they OP is being creative and thinking about different ways to do things. I think that's awesome!

That said, I see no real advantage. For me IF I could legally have a loaded shotgun locked in my cabinet I would have no worries about having only 5 in the mag tube and leave the chamber empty and action closed and striker released. Why? Because most self defense shootings are over with 1 or 2 shots, especially with 00 buck!

As I said, Canadian storage laws mean my shotgun is action OPEN, safety off and unloaded with a velcro shell holder on the door of the cabinet it's locked in. It only takes seconds for me to unlock the cabinet and load 1 in the chamber and I'm ready to go. I can then top up the tube while I tell orders and warnings.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,827 Times in 5,406 Posts

When I was still on the job we carried them in the cruiser with loaded magazine, empty chamber, hammer released. The rack would not allow the slide to be back.

This thread reminded me of my academy days. My forensics instructor, the famous coroner Sam Gerber. (https://case.edu/ech/articles/g/gerber-samuel-r-md ) opened the class by pleading with us to not put loose objects down the barrel of the cruiser shotguns.

They were mounted vertically in those days, attached to the dashboard. He went on to say that he was embarrassed to write in his reports when there were foreign objects in a dead suspects shotgun wounds. Broken pens, paper clips, cigarette butts and numerous other unusual things were often removed.

Most of these came from one department that did not allow officers to remove and make a daily condition check of the shotguns. This was because they said the rims of the shells would wear out from daily checks.

My department required us to check before every shift and also at the end of shift if the shotgun was removed during the course of the tour. On at least two occasions, this secondary check was not made and combined with checking the shotgun by depressing the trigger, resulted in instant sunroofs of two cruisers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 11,657 Times in 4,696 Posts

The only thing I can add is that I cannot be more happier that after the old mans time with the US Air Force in Quebec was done we came back to the US and didnít stay in Canada.

Iím sure Iíd have just hated kindergarten there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 PM
Curmudgeon in training

As a side note... Having a fully loaded (chambered) firearm in the house for defensive use is a good idea when the owners are present.

If the home is empty of people but chambered guns inside, the unlikely but occasional fire can cause said weapons to discharge endangering firefighters and bystanders.

During my firefighting days we were well aware that fire and loose cartridges were a noisy nuisance but NOT knowing if there were chambered arms in the house when those pops started caused us to retreat. I was present when one such incident occurred at a rural home and regrettably the home was lost. No one was injured when the rifle went off but a bullet hole was left on display for a year on the engineers panel of the pumper attacking the fire.

Something to think about.
The Following User Says Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Curmudgeon in training

As to the original post, I was well aware of ghost loading Benelli shotguns to get an extra round in the gun for competition. We also simply dropped a loose round into the open action when speed loading pump guns for drills or competition. Having a full magazine and a partially chambered shell with the slide mostly open was my preferred way of keeping a ready shotgun in the home. If a fire occurred the shell would not send a load of buckshot down the barrel but a simple closing of the slide had a fully loaded shotgun in hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 12:36 AM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,562 Times in 5,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
All guns are treated as loaded, so they might as well be IMHO. Full with the safety on is how my 870 lives in the house or on my back. I don't have kids or inexperience people touching my weapons.
I have five kids, and two of them have long guns in their rooms (the two oldest). The others know not to touch one without permission. But they're not little kids anymore.

I have... numerous... firearms, so not all are stored loaded. BUT, any gun I consider a possible SD weapon usually is.
I don't keep many shotguns condition 1. Or rifles. But most pistols... yeah.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,280 Times in 2,717 Posts

Quote:
While I'm hiking in Bear country with a shotgun, many people recommend carrying the shotgun with the magazine full, the chamber empty and closed and having pulled the trigger AND the safety OFF.

The reason for this logic is that manipulating something small like a safety is very difficult when your adrenaline is going but pumping the gun is a gross motor movement and should be easier to do correctly when facing down a large bear.

This guy explains it better.

https://youtu.be/r3Bl-r0U6vw

I believe this is better than what you're suggesting.

This is the way many LE organisations do it. It is a Standard Operating Procedure called cruiser carry. Everybody has to do it that way, so any cop can pick up ant shotgun and KNOW what condition it is in.

I have an old automatic that I used to leave in an outbuilding to take care of coons or coyotes that want my chickens. The gun has a magazine capacity of TWO. and when I want it I want to shoot without making a lot of noise. So I was storing it fully loaded with one in the chamber.

Went to use it once and it didn't function. Turned out the chamber was rusted. We DON'T have rust in this part of the world unless you do something stupid like put it away wet. Apparently the surface between the plastic shell body and steel barrel attracted moisture.

I got the chamber cleaned out and the gun works again, but I don't store it that way and don't have any gun in that building anymore, which bothers me because the building is in a good place from which to ambush predators.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,495 Times in 4,597 Posts

I have some practice shells that I use to get other people used to using my shotguns, I have yet to try ghost loading to see if it suits me. I have too many pump guns, my next step is to something semi-auto. If that split second is that important, and it is in some cases, a SA weapon makes a lot more sense over a pump.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,039 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote:
I love they OP is being creative and thinking about different ways to do things. I think that's awesome!

That said, I see no real advantage. For me IF I could legally have a loaded shotgun locked in my cabinet I would have no worries about having only 5 in the mag tube and leave the chamber empty and action closed and striker released. Why? Because most self defense shootings are over with 1 or 2 shots, especially with 00 buck!

As I said, Canadian storage laws mean my shotgun is action OPEN, safety off and unloaded with a velcro shell holder on the door of the cabinet it's locked in. It only takes seconds for me to unlock the cabinet and load 1 in the chamber and I'm ready to go. I can then top up the tube while I tell orders and warnings.

Agreed.

Missed the part where the op said he was Canadian.

Question for the OP here...

Leadcouncel : How did the idea work for you? Practical or impractical?

11B
Old 05-01-2019, 03:26 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 11,771 Times in 5,378 Posts

In the bedroom, the handguns are loaded, the shotgun is not.
It's on a wall rack next to my side of the bed with shells in the drawer below. It's been there for over 40 years, missing only for range time. The kids thought of it as part of the furniture when they were growing up.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,615 Times in 7,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Agreed.

Missed the part where the op said he was Canadian.

Question for the OP here...

Leadcouncel : How did the idea work for you? Practical or impractical?

11B
Not in Canada.

I keep loaded gun in the house. Longguns have chambers empty but full magazines. Each requires full motion racking of the action/bolt.

I do have one 12 guage stored as I described. Only requires moving the bolt forward to chamber the shell. I'm going to inspect in 6 months, then 12 months, etc. to see if there's any accumulation of debris to prevent chambering. But overall, I'm thinking it's a pretty good way to + capacity in a stored pump gun, while eliminating any potential for AD, and reducing the complexity by removing 1/2 of the motion to load it.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 05:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,258 Times in 6,527 Posts

My solution...Security 8 12 gauge with 7+1, or the S12 with a 12 round drum.
No need to ghost load or do odd things in the closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
.... more potential for harm especially rimfires where the firing pin can contact the chamber.
Most modern rimfires don't have that issue anymore, either...but some do, so read the owners manual.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 11,657 Times in 4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Not in Canada.

I keep loaded gun in the house. Longguns have chambers empty but full magazines. Each requires full motion racking of the action/bolt.

I do have one 12 guage stored as I described. Only requires moving the bolt forward to chamber the shell. I'm going to inspect in 6 months, then 12 months, etc. to see if there's any accumulation of debris to prevent chambering. But overall, I'm thinking it's a pretty good way to + capacity in a stored pump gun, while eliminating any potential for AD, and reducing the complexity by removing 1/2 of the motion to load it.
IMO the phrase Accidental Discharge should only apply to someone falling while carrying a gun or if one would somehow go off due to a broken part.

Anything else is a negligent discharge isnít it?
If your booger hook isnít in contact with the trigger itís not going to go off 99.9% of the time.

To each his own but it seems like youíve really overthunk this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post: