Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-23-2019, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,096 Times in 861 Posts
Default Prepaid Survival Camp Article and some thoughts

Advertise Here

I have some issues with this article. It quotes and expert saying nobody would want to survive a nuclear or biological catastrophe because of how bad things would be. I think this is silly. People live through prison , local catastrophes etc all the time. And hope keeps them going.

10 years after a global nuclear war , the lights would be back on. The trains would be running. Maybe 5 years after.

A global pandemic could kill 30% of the people and devastate the planet. But society would go on for those who survived and things would be much better after it ended. One could hide out in a closed community for the year or so the pandemic was active and come back to a world much like you left. Maybe your house or job is gone , but people lose homes and jobs all the time and don’t kill themselves.

http://news.trust.org/item/20191223102815-rp1cx
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,606 Posts
Default Thread title not indicative of post or contents.

When naming your threads, please put what they actually are about.

Name Changed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cannonfoddertfc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonfoddertfc View Post

Name Changed

The article isnít related to CBRN or NBC survival at all. Seems like more of a general topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONELRAD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonfoddertfc View Post

Name Changed

The article isn’t related to CBRN or NBC survival at all. Seems like more of a general topic.
The article quotes an “ expert “ saying we wouldn’t want to survive a nuclear war or pandemic. I mention that in my post which is what the post is actually about.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 PM
Emergency Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
The article quotes an ď expert ď saying we wouldnít want to survive a nuclear war or pandemic. I mention that in my post which is what the post is actually about.

Iím actually fairly optimistic about the possibilities for recovery after a limited exchange, but If you think things will be even remotely back normal in any of the affected counties 5-10 years after a major nuclear exchange, youíre out of your damn mind.

The more targets involved, the more industry and infrastructure gets wiped out. How are you going to reboot all these destroyed industries? The factories that manufacture parts for these plants will have been destroyed. Rebuild those factories? With what? Even if we could get a massive influx of equipment, supplies, materials and expertise from other large nations, like Brazil, the rebuilding would take decades. Initially the goal will be to just keep whatís left of the population from starving, dying of exposure, and disease. Before you can even import the necessary materials, you have to rebuild the ports because those will all be wrecked.

If youíre okay with going back to the early to mid-1800s, thatís probably what itís be like for the next several decades. Yes, the necessary rebuilding can be done, but in 5-10 years... nope.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:36 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,274 Times in 9,975 Posts

Why would I pay $1000 a year to go 'camp' at their location - national and state land is free.

First 3 paragraphs

"FORTITUDE RANCH, Colo., Dec 23 (Reuters) - Aiming an AR-15 rifle across a Colorado valley dotted with antelope and cattle, Drew Miller explains how members of his new survival ranch would ride out an apocalypse.

The former U.S. Air Force intelligence officer said his latest Fortitude Ranch community, under construction below mountain forests, will shelter Americans fleeing anything from a bioengineered pandemic to an attack on the electricity grid.

For an annual fee of around $1,000, members can vacation at the camps in good times, and use them as a refuge during a societal collapse."
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 06:10 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Why would I pay $1000 a year to go 'camp' at their location - national and state land is free.

First 3 paragraphs

"FORTITUDE RANCH, Colo., Dec 23 (Reuters) - Aiming an AR-15 rifle across a Colorado valley dotted with antelope and cattle, Drew Miller explains how members of his new survival ranch would ride out an apocalypse.

The former U.S. Air Force intelligence officer said his latest Fortitude Ranch community, under construction below mountain forests, will shelter Americans fleeing anything from a bioengineered pandemic to an attack on the electricity grid.

For an annual fee of around $1,000, members can vacation at the camps in good times, and use them as a refuge during a societal collapse."
Depends on how nice it is and what the hunting is like there.

But I was more talking about the articles claims about survivors.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:15 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Quote:
The article quotes an “ expert “ saying we wouldn’t want to survive a nuclear war or pandemic. I mention that in my post which is what the post is actually about.

I’m actually fairly optimistic about the possibilities for recovery after a limited exchange, but If you think things will be even remotely back normal in any of the affected counties 5-10 years after a major nuclear exchange, you’re out of your damn mind.

The more targets involved, the more industry and infrastructure gets wiped out. How are you going to reboot all these destroyed industries? The factories that manufacture parts for these plants will have been destroyed. Rebuild those factories? With what? Even if we could get a massive influx of equipment, supplies, materials and expertise from other large nations, like Brazil, the rebuilding would take decades. Initially the goal will be to just keep what’s left of the population from starving, dying of exposure, and disease. Before you can even import the necessary materials, you have to rebuild the ports because those will all be wrecked.

If you’re okay with going back to the early to mid-1800s, that’s probably what it’s be like for the next several decades. Yes, the necessary rebuilding can be done, but in 5-10 years... nope.
I both agree and disagree with you. I agree that things won’t be back to normal in 5 years after an all out nuclear war. I disagree in that I don’t think that’s the benchmark. I think things will be a LOT better 5-10 years out. Like people will have jobs and there will be food and healthcare and electricity. Not everywhere. But some places. The first 2 years will be mad max type stuff.

Now as for a pandemic , I think society wouldn’t even necessarily collapse all the way. But it doesn’t have to. If 30% of people are going to die from a disease , I’d just rather isolate myself for a few moths to a year and not risk it , if at all possible.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:30 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 19,606 Times in 5,509 Posts

Quote:
I both agree and disagree with you. I agree that things wonít be back to normal in 5 years after an all out nuclear war. I disagree in that I donít think thatís the benchmark. I think things will be a LOT better 5-10 years out. Like people will have jobs and there will be food and healthcare and electricity. Not everywhere. But some places. The first 2 years will be mad max type stuff.

Now as for a pandemic , I think society wouldnít even necessarily collapse all the way. But it doesnít have to. If 30% of people are going to die from a disease , Iíd just rather isolate myself for a few moths to a year and not risk it , if at all possible.
The Chernobyl Incident happened on April 26, 1986 at Pripyat. 34 years later it is still uninhabitable. You can only visit for a couple of hours before you are too sick from radiation. I know that a disaster such as that is more concentrated than fallout, but the area that has the direct blast may take many more years than what you are thinking before you can repopulate it or use it's natural resources again. I hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Emergency Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
The Chernobyl Incident happened on April 26, 1986 at Pripyat. 34 years later it is still uninhabitable. You can only visit for a couple of hours before you are too sick from radiation. I know that a disaster such as that is more concentrated than fallout, but the area that has the direct blast may take many more years than what you are thinking before you can repopulate it or use it's natural resources again. I hope this helps.

Um, no. Almost none of that is accurate. There are people living there who never left. Many of those who never left and are no longer living, died of natural causes.

There is literally nowhere in ďthe zoneĒ outside of the NSC that has dose rates sufficient to cause symptoms of acute radiation sickness.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post

Um, no. Almost none of that is accurate. There are people living there who never left. Many of those who never left and are no longer living, died of natural causes.

There is literally nowhere in “the zone” outside of the NSC that has dose rates sufficient to cause symptoms of acute radiation sickness.
Plus nuclear reactor meltdowns aren’t the same as a thermonuclear airburst.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:34 AM
Emergency Manager

Quote:
Plus nuclear reactor meltdowns arenít the same as a thermonuclear airburst.
True, but the radiological consequences aren't what drives the collapse. It's the destruction of infrastructure and the massive brain, leadership, and skills drain that would occur. Even though much of the world wouldn't be touched apart from economic disruption, that disruption may be enough to prevent large-scale recovery assistance from being provided. There's also the strong probability that the rest of the world would be so angry at the combatants that they may well leave those nations to rot.