Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Target Shooter

Default 1 chance to do it right

Advertise Here

Wife and I may be moving in the next couple of years to our daughter property. 4 acres and quiet. Will be building our own home on the lower part taking up about 1/4 ac. Anyways, the way the property lies there is a small drop allowing for a walk out basement. Been pouring over different sites as to the sealing of the walls on the outside. Radon Seal is a contender on the wall itself with possibly Ames Blue Max, french drain of course. Anybody live in an area with these type of issues that can give any advise??
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 07:17 AM
VIP Member

I think that this was a good 'test'; we have water pond several inches deep up above the house in very heavy rains (as it slowly drains away), the ground sloped away from the house for 20-30 feet, but is then back up hill, the junction of the bottom of the slopes has slight slope sideways to route this water around the house. We also has exposed ledge rock when we excavated.

I am sure there is newer / ? better tech now; we built 35 years ago in SW Missouri and have not had a leak yet. I had dug up some 20 year old foundations many years ago, that has used plastic sheeting to line the forms (this was FL, SAND), and as soon as you got a few inches away from the surface, the plastic looked brand new.

French drain around the outside of the foundation of course, but we also did a second french drain under the slab with 8" of gravel under the house.

We used "tar" to smooth out the surface, knowing it was NOT a good water proofing agent, just a bit of a moisture seal. Put heavy plastic sheeting over the tar the next day when it was still tacky. Then 1" "blue board" (closed cell Styrofoam rated for under ground use, WISH we had used 2"). Back filled with creek gravel up to 12-18" from the surface to make it EASY for water to reach the french drains, then clay to seal the surface (with cement board that top 18" to protect the blue board).

No mold, no damp spots at all.

We are about to build an earth sheltered greenhouse. I am thinking I will repeat the above, but with more foam (2" up to 2' down from the surface, then 4" to the top) AND put the dry wall like 4x8 sheets of bentonite over the blue board.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:59 PM
I give up

Thanked 20,858 Times in 5,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmech View Post
there is a small drop allowing for a walk out basement. Been pouring over different sites as to the sealing of the walls on the outside. Radon Seal is a contender on the wall itself with possibly Ames Blue Max, french drain of course. Anybody live in an area with these type of issues that can give any advise??
I had a log cabin with walk out basement in Eastern PA, on an incline. About 3-4 feet of basement wall was exposed on the high side, and the walk out side had a door that simply opened to a small level area on the mild slope.

1) Water runs downhill and being on an incline is often VERY PROBLEMATIC.

2) No amount of sealing will prevent 100% of the moisture issues and the resulting tendency to grow mold in the concrete pores. If the moisture exists, it WILL find it's way through the concrete over a period of YEARS and the result is a musty basement.

3) If there is a hill above the home of any size, make very sure to manage 100% of rain water and any temporary flow (if it exists) away from the home and down below the home. By using gutters/leaders/downpipes to move water downhill from the home and by shaping the land including drain culverts if necessary.

4) Any lawn in front of the house must slope away from the home. Otherwise water will sit there and find it's way into the basement.

5) The clogged french drains on my cabin were put in in 1981 and did nothing to mitigate the problem. Mostly because they were very poorly designed, clogged and the clay like dirt around the house held water instead of letting the water flow out. Design them correctly for the location.