Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help reloading 300 blackout on dillon press txprep Firearms General Discussion 14 02-16-2015 10:26 PM
Dillon 550b press randyt Firearms General Discussion 20 04-05-2014 07:05 PM
Hornady or Dillon? theflatlander Firearms General Discussion 24 08-29-2013 08:46 PM
Marshal Dillon/Gunsmoke talon115 Books, Movies & Stories 23 04-01-2013 08:50 PM
Does anyone have a Dillon press? TriggerHappy Firearms General Discussion 10 01-24-2013 10:33 PM
Dillon XL650, realistic pace 13FoxTrot10 Firearms General Discussion 8 10-02-2012 09:36 PM
Dillon square deal or 550b smokinthelast1 Firearms General Discussion 28 06-11-2012 10:14 AM
Chris Dillon got it Wrong magfed556 Firearms General Discussion 7 03-28-2011 05:47 PM
Cabins Purdy Bear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 07-11-2010 11:54 PM
cabins wtcw General Discussion 1 07-24-2009 01:27 AM

Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Dillon Log Cabins

Advertise Here

Anyone had any experience with an outfit called Dillon Log Cabins out of Goodrich, Texas ? They build an 850 sq ft cabin ( inside unfinished ) for $20K on your property. Walked in the model and it looks solid enough. I think you have to shingle it yourself or pay extra. Also, wiring and plumbing are your responsibility if you want electric and water. Sounds reasonable based on my previous research into material costs. Just wondering what's laying in the weeds that I didn't think about....
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Seedtick131 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,739 Times in 13,985 Posts

I went to check them out, I'm not giving them personal info, creating an account, just to have a look.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,900 Times in 21,429 Posts

For that kind of money you should look into another Texas specialty, the dome home. A blown concrete dome that is hyper strong. Laughs at hurricanes.

You do the utilities and interior. No need for a roof unless you want to bury it, which you can do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,747 Times in 2,523 Posts

That is pretty cheap as far as log homes go, I used to work at New Homestead Log Homes and the cheapest thing we had was around $20k and was only 400 sq ft and that was 20 years ago.

I would definitely check them out before getting involved with them, and if you do go with them, stay on top of everything in your dealings with them. Twenty thousand is cheap enough that I would be concerned with what you could end up with and or getting taken.

I would like to build a log home for my next house, I already have the mill and I have manufactured many log homes while working for New Homestead. One can get log truck loads of logs for around $1,500 a load around 5,000 board feet of logs. With an investment of $3k to $5k in a mill and buying three log truck loads of wood you could build a bit of a cabin for $20k if you have the know how. If this company is buying their logs I would have a hard time imagining them making more than about $5k profit on this building at the most.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks everyone.

Mountain,

It's not really a log home. It's 2 x 4 walls wrapped with good heavy strand board with a 3/4" floor. 2 x 6 rafters, ceiling joists....don't know about floor joists but have inquired. Everything on 16" centers. Then on the outside it has what looks sawmill slabs cut lap and gap....when I say sawmill slabs I mean it looks like they took a clean pine log and sliced 4 pieces of siding off the outside and then ended up with a 6 x 6 section to mill other lumber from. Has a composition gable roof and a full length covered porch across the front. As a kid, I worked with a framing crew and this unit look solid and well done....but definitely not a genuine log cabin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seedtick131 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Survivor

Yeah, I know what you are talking about, we started doing that at Homestead. Many of our log homes had logs with three flat sides and a rounded face and we started using the rounded cutoffs from the logs to create a rounded log like siding.

These are pretty cheap for the company because they would just be waste if not utilized like this, they got the money out of the house log and the siding is just pure profit pretty much.

As far as I can figure any building even 850 square feet for $20k is a pretty good deal as long they deliver on their promises.

I would note, that these boards do have a bad tendency to warp after time, we had a terrible time with this. I did the entire side of the shop with this as a demo, and it looked great for a while, but all the boards started warping eventually. It looked great for all the photos we used to sell it though.... Now that I am milling my own lumber on my mill I understand why these boards twist and curl so bad. When you cut a board out of the rounded outside of the log the grain is all messed up and all the wood I have cut from that has warped no matter what I did to it.

If you go with this building you might bring up the question of warping down the road and see what they might be willing to put into a written guarantee or something as to their responsibility if it does warp down the road.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Mountain,

I understand what you mean on the twisting of the siding....wood starts stress-relieving and the thin section dries faster than the thick section. Might help if I have him screw the siding to the outside wall studs through the sheathing. Do you think the twist would be strong enough to bow the studs or pull out screws?

Thanks for your counsel buddy !
Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,179 Posts

Hey Seedtick, whatever you do, learn everything you can about termites and wood borers as well as where the logs are coming from. I live in a Satterwhite Log home and love it. I haven't had any problems myself, but a few years after we built ours, I went to work for the state as a pesticide inspector. What I learned then scared the ga-jeebers out of me!
Don't let that discourage you though, they can be controlled; just be aware!
The Following User Says Thank You to purplehullpeas For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtick131 View Post
Mountain,

I understand what you mean on the twisting of the siding....wood starts stress-relieving and the thin section dries faster than the thick section. Might help if I have him screw the siding to the outside wall studs through the sheathing. Do you think the twist would be strong enough to bow the studs or pull out screws?

Thanks for your counsel buddy !

It won't effect the studs any, but you may have some boards that pull over the screw, or depending on how well they do you might not have any pulling off. I just thought it worth mentioning and seeing if you can get some kind of guarantees regarding that if it does happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtick131 View Post
Anyone had any experience with an outfit called Dillon Log Cabins out of Goodrich, Texas ? They build an 850 sq ft cabin ( inside unfinished ) for $20K on your property. Walked in the model and it looks solid enough. I think you have to shingle it yourself or pay extra. Also, wiring and plumbing are your responsibility if you want electric and water. Sounds reasonable based on my previous research into material costs. Just wondering what's laying in the weeds that I didn't think about....
Seedtick131,
I know this is an old post, but am curious if you ended up going with Dillon Shell Homes and whether they are a scam or legit. Thank you for any info.