Children attacked by dog on playground - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter Dog House maintenanceguy General Discussion 43 10-31-2018 05:35 PM
Advice on a dog breed Twilight General Discussion 119 02-04-2018 09:01 PM
Thinking about getting a dog; what dog food? Levant General Discussion 70 01-21-2018 12:13 PM
Not the typical dog thread kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 01-22-2017 04:36 PM
thinking of giving up my dog Woodswalker General Discussion 57 12-09-2016 12:31 PM

Old 11-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,492 Times in 6,329 Posts
Default Children attacked by dog on playground

Advertise Here

Another argument for competent armed teachers
http://kfor.com/2018/11/19/police-in...unG4WUtZlvEGn0

Last edited by hawk55732; 11-19-2018 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Fixed link
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,727 Times in 557 Posts

Many times while out walking my dog, including a couple of times while the wife was along with us. We have been attacked by dogs that had escaped their enclosure or chains. I have had to fight them off to prevent injury. I carry pepper spray for my primary defense, and have used it on dogs, but I also do carry concealed as a result of my experiences. I live in suburbia and most of the neighborhoods are sub divisions, you would not expect dogs to be an issue. It can happen any where. If you check on you tube, you can find many examples of dogs attacking people and children in parks or on neighborhood streets. If you are out walking, expect and prepare for the worst.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to makobytes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobytes View Post
Many times while out walking my dog, including a couple of times while the wife was along with us. We have been attacked by dogs that had escaped their enclosure or chains. I have had to fight them off to prevent injury. I carry pepper spray for my primary defense, and have used it on dogs, but I also do carry concealed as a result of my experiences. .
^This.

Asking teachers to get a clean shot on a dog mauling a child isn't realistic. That's an enormously tall order.

The USPS has been using OC-based dog deterrent for decades, and I don't know of any subset who's attacked by dogs more often than mail carriers.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OC-Trainer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,257 Times in 18,917 Posts

People underestimate the dangers of a dog pack\wild dogs.

Couple years ago we had a pair of ~100lb dogs roaming around killing pets and being a pest and a danger.
I was walking down a trail and they charged me (that 'hunting ' charge where they don't make a sound.) I drew my glock and they dove into the brush. (Predators can tell 'not food')

They got to my first batch of rabbits, dragged one through the cage and scared the other to death. (My current rabbits are inside a fence, in a double cage.)

After that I shot one with a rifle and got lead into the second.

Dog and hog packs are a good reason for a semi over a revolver.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,407 Times in 4,547 Posts

I've read three stories online and details are scant. What surprises me is that all of my kid's schools have had fences around play areas. Stray dogs and schools have always been a problem.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to comdot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,932 Times in 7,968 Posts

One reason I prefer my husband to have the legs on his wheelchair. On more than one occasion, he has had to take the leg off and brandish it at a menacing dog.

And the butthead owner always gets an attitude [smirk} "He won't bite" [smirk] Yeah, right. Unfortunately TX liability laws favor the defendant so we sure wouldn't get paid for our pain and suffering. I would rather clock the bad dog over the head with a wheelchair leg (heavy, metal).

Having said that, last week I saw the sweetest and most longsuffering guide dogs. One of them was positioned in a walkway and the blind vendors kept kicking it, stepping on it, the dog would just flinch, give them a look, at put his head down again. A very good dog.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,915 Times in 911 Posts
Exclamation

Itís not unusual for me to take a walking stick with me for just such occasions!

SD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,492 Times in 6,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-Trainer View Post
^This.

Asking teachers to get a clean shot on a dog mauling a child isn't realistic. That's an enormously tall order.

The USPS has been using OC-based dog deterrent for decades, and I don't know of any subset who's attacked by dogs more often than mail carriers.
One of the teachers ďtackledĒ the dog coulda shoulda slipped it in an ear right then.
ďOh the children, seeing that ď thatís why councilors at schools get paid. The kids should get to line up and kick the carcass just as long and hard as they want to that way they know it isnít coming back again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,458 Times in 755 Posts

We've had one roaming around for about a year. Charged me a little last summer, I held my ground and he backed off. About three nights ago, early morning, wife and I hear a ruckus in the back yard. It set off our motion lights. Looked out and he was going after a possum. I got a lead pellet in his ass with the trusty Daisy from our deck. He didn't like that very much.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,915 Times in 911 Posts
Exclamation

Silly delayed internet!

SD
Old 11-19-2018, 04:59 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 16,928 Times in 5,220 Posts

Sounds like it could have been much much worse.
https://www.koco.com/article/crews-r...chool/25226867
Quote:
described as a brown and white pit bull, became loose and began attacking the children.
Quote:
The children suffered superficial dog bites and some escape injuries while they were running away, school officials said.

No teachers were injured, officials said.
Would be interesting to see what "got loose" meant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,047 Times in 3,447 Posts

When I was growing up we had some awful neighbors a few houses down. Very trashy people. They had 3 or 4 large dogs that they kept leashed to some kind of a pulley thing in the yard. They had quite a bit of range on it (could go almost to the street and all the way to the back of the back yard). All the time they were getting loose. These weren't nice dogs. The neighbor between us called the cops on them all the time. He said for a while he was a nervous just going out the door to get into the car, as they've attacked him before like that.

I recall once when I was about 12, I was around the corner collecting money for my paper route, and one of the dogs got loose and ran down the street into the street I was on, saw me and lit right into me. Luckily a car was going by just then and they stopped.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,407 Times in 4,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
Sounds like it could have been much much worse.
https://www.koco.com/article/crews-r...chool/25226867

Would be interesting to see what "got loose" meant.
His owner ducked into the convenience store for a 40 and some Swisher Sweets and left his dog, Dindu, outside like he always does. Seems the kids were taunting him from down the street and Dindu went down there to set them straight. Too bad cuz the dog was about to turn his life around. You know, go to college or something, noam I saying?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to comdot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,178 Times in 4,917 Posts

Pennsylvania law says you can defend yourself or others from a dog that is endangering your life.
I carry when we are out and about, and Iím not talking about pepper spray.

If any dog owner doesnít want their whittle pookems ventilated they better keep it on a lease or in their yard.

Iíve drawn on one dog and had my hand ready to draw on a couple more.
My kids are more valuable to me than any fleabag bark and crap machine.

Too bad the teacher didnít have something to beat this thing to death with...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Tactical Elf

Thanked 1,892 Times in 618 Posts

My daughter along with another student was bit by a stray dog at the playground at school earlier this year.
Such a huge problem in my small Oklahoma town.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kebler414 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 09:27 PM
I give up

Thanked 17,986 Times in 4,718 Posts

I have an awesomely friendly dog. A Norwegian elkhound. A breed known for being great with kids. I would not want a dangerous animal.

I understand why many like to have dogs to protect the household. However, I have too many kids around to take that risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Hiker

A few years ago, one of my 2nd grade girls was walking home after getting off the bus when several Dobermans attacked her and killed her. She had played with the dogs before when the owners were around so she didn't fear them. At first. A neighbor saw them and called the police, but it was too late. She was such a sad little girl. Her mom had given her to a friend, but she was so neglected. She was always dirty. But so sweet. I dream about her sometimes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hunnibeez For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,439 Times in 4,655 Posts

Sigh. I'll throw in my 2 cents. Having seen the dog and a very short video of it's behavior at the shelter it was taken to, along with my knowledge of dogs I will say the following.

1. The dog is not a pit bull. Looks like, and behaves in the clip, more like a boxer mix of some sort. Anything with "bully" features is a vicious pit bull in today's world.

2. He/she (didn't get a good look lol) is a young dog. I'd guess less than a year, but definitely less than 3, when dogs typically start calming down. I'm guessing kids were hurt by puppy teeth, which are considerably sharper than "big dog" teeth. Add in running away, and screaming, and you get a recipe for disaster. I think this puppy was just playing.

2. Dog had NO mannerisms of a "vicious" or "aggressive" animal. More like a dog that has been reasonably socialized but now that it is an unfamiliar place, there were signs of stress and timidness you would expect.

3. This dog is not long for this world, poor guy. The owner would be downright stupid to claim his/her dog in this climate. Of course, neighbors could always rat them out. Makes a great case for NEVER leaving your pets outside unattended -- even in a fenced yard. My dogs think when they go out that means WE go out. It has it's good points ... and it's bad. But they are right -- we ALL go out. Lol

4. The kids WOULD be fine -- even the ones with the "bite" wounds -- IF the grown-ups would not make a big deal of it. But since we had a press conference this afternoon that was "extended coverage of the traumatic events earlier today" I'm guessing that ship has sailed. Trouble is they will probably have "trauma counsellors" show up ...

This world is NUTS. That is all.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,695 Times in 791 Posts

Biggest mistake is to run from an aggressive dog. First, you can't outrun a dog that has more than three legs, second, running triggers their instinct to chase. Best option if you're fairly sure the dog is going to attack is to yell like a nut, wave your arms round and run TOWARDS the dog. Second option is to get your balance and give the mutt a good hard kick in the snout. Pepper spray also works.
I had a job once delivering disconnect notices in the ghetto part of town for the local electrical utility. The druggies and welfare cheats kept claiming that their mail was being stolen and some drunk liberal judge decided that the bills had to be delivered by the electrical provider. None of the power company's employees would take the job, so they farmed it out to me because I used to repo rental furniture. They gave me a four-foot piece of the cable that supports power poles and a big bottle of mace. At first, the druggies and whores would sic their pit bulls on me, but after I smacked a few of them with the cable, they'd run when they saw me. The pit bulls didn't like the cable either.
I got fired after some of the drunks, druggies and whores got interviewed by the local TV station and claimed that they didn't want that "big ol' crazy white man" in their neighborhood. I told my boss that the neighborhood would be a better place if the people who lived there were locked up in the dog pound, so the animals could take over he neighborhood.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,707 Times in 2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
Sigh. I'll throw in my 2 cents. Having seen the dog and a very short video of it's behavior at the shelter it was taken to, along with my knowledge of dogs I will say the following.

1. The dog is not a pit bull. Looks like, and behaves in the clip, more like a boxer mix of some sort. Anything with "bully" features is a vicious pit bull in today's world.

2. He/she (didn't get a good look lol) is a young dog. I'd guess less than a year, but definitely less than 3, when dogs typically start calming down. I'm guessing kids were hurt by puppy teeth, which are considerably sharper than "big dog" teeth. Add in running away, and screaming, and you get a recipe for disaster. I think this puppy was just playing.

2. Dog had NO mannerisms of a "vicious" or "aggressive" animal. More like a dog that has been reasonably socialized but now that it is an unfamiliar place, there were signs of stress and timidness you would expect.

3. This dog is not long for this world, poor guy. The owner would be downright stupid to claim his/her dog in this climate. Of course, neighbors could always rat them out. Makes a great case for NEVER leaving your pets outside unattended -- even in a fenced yard. My dogs think when they go out that means WE go out. It has it's good points ... and it's bad. But they are right -- we ALL go out. Lol

4. The kids WOULD be fine -- even the ones with the "bite" wounds -- IF the grown-ups would not make a big deal of it. But since we had a press conference this afternoon that was "extended coverage of the traumatic events earlier today" I'm guessing that ship has sailed. Trouble is they will probably have "trauma counsellors" show up ...

This world is NUTS. That is all.
He was a good dog..gonna get his GED, stop selling crack and go to community college...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PA_Robert For This Useful Post: