Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-07-2020, 09:45 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 5,019 Times in 695 Posts

Advertise Here

On the way home in a 50 mph zone got passed on both sides by three exotic $$$$$$ cars doing 80+. That night had a nightmare about not being able to drive defensively, no traction, sliding, getting pushed out of the lane and getting spun having to drive backwards on the highway, The car following me wouldn't let me slow down. Roads didn't make sense, no visibility at intersections, it was chaos.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,304 Times in 273 Posts

No bad dreams at all. In fact, I can not wait to get into bed and get a good night's sleep.

The only bad dreams I have are running off the road, and down the cliff into the ocean. The other is about a tsunami......both I have over and over again....but it has been a very long time since I have had one of those.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 10:08 PM
The Black Death

Count me among those with a ton of dreams. I am keeping late hours and spending all day think about COVID-19, so my stress levels must be up, although I haven't noticed it while awake.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForumSurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
uh...I wonder if you would say that if you had one of my plane crash dreams...
I used to have some really bad nightmares when I was a little kid, before I really knew much about dreams. That was a long time ago though. I learned a lot about dreaming and for a while I had a hobby of lucid dreaming. I don't really have that hobby anymore but since then nightmares have never bothered me, not in the slighest.

Dreams can be terrifying because when you dream all different parts of your brain is going off and working, including the parts that control your emotions. So if a dream triggers your fear emotion, it can be very powerful. It doesn't even have to make sense in the context of the dream. Like you could see a taco in the dream and you could feel the emotions of fear as if you are about to die, even though it is just a taco. When the dream scene matches up with reality a bit more it can have an even larger impact.

Still a dream is just a dream. It can't hurt you. In this case I suspect a lot of people just have general anxiety when it comes to covid, so it might also help to just think about it while you are awake, to sort work through your fears and consider what you might want to do. It might also help with stress overall.

As far as the nightmare itself though, just keep repeating: It is a dream and it can't hurt you.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilychan View Post
I used to have some really bad nightmares when I was a little kid, before I really knew much about dreams. That was a long time ago though. I learned a lot about dreaming and for a while I had a hobby of lucid dreaming. I don't really have that hobby anymore but since then nightmares have never bothered me, not in the slighest.

Dreams can be terrifying because when you dream all different parts of your brain is going off and working, including the parts that control your emotions. So if a dream triggers your fear emotion, it can be very powerful. It doesn't even have to make sense in the context of the dream. Like you could see a taco in the dream and you could feel the emotions of fear as if you are about to die, even though it is just a taco. When the dream scene matches up with reality a bit more it can have an even larger impact.

Still a dream is just a dream. It can't hurt you. In this case I suspect a lot of people just have general anxiety when it comes to covid, so it might also help to just think about it while you are awake, to sort work through your fears and consider what you might want to do. It might also help with stress overall.

As far as the nightmare itself though, just keep repeating: It is a dream and it can't hurt you.
I really need to answer this with ...

*eerie girls voices*
One, Two, Freddy's coming for you ...
Three, Four, Better lock your door ...

And to stay on topic: No nightmares more or less than i usually have. Overall not that stressed about things i can't control.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,530 Times in 4,683 Posts

Quote:

That doesn't work for me, but I have a panic /anxiety disorder that flares up when there is stress. I haven't had much of it since we moved ( last 4 years) but now it appears to be back. My body doesn't deal well with stress.
So , my dream translates into reality when I have to drive over a scary bride ( can't , when I am stressed) or have to fly somewhere (only possible for me to do with heavy dose of anxiety medication)

I hate this. I moved to get rid of the stress, and it worked for a few years, and now this. It's like you can't get away from it no matter what you do or where you live
Old 04-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Trapper

I can understand this. In 2003 when the media ran the war on terrorism 24/7, I started the same nightmares and crap I had when I got home years ago. Docs in Pensacola said it was PTSD. Well what do you know? I never considered myself a candidate for it. However thanks to that war I got treatment and it has passed to an extent. I doubt itíll e et go away.
Trauma affects people differently. What is trivial to you and I is catastrophic to others.
Get her to talk about her issues with you and have a great ear. You guys seem a lot like us so take a day at a time.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:55 AM

Not too many Pandemic Dreams, yet. But my entire life, I get Tidal Wave Dreams, OMG!!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 22,181 Times in 7,276 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I had a dream I was at Joe Exotics Tiger Zoo.

Yikes!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,086 Times in 14,094 Posts

Quote:
Obviously you are speaking of normal dreams not those triggered by PTSD which I can assure you CAN do physical damage. I have a fake front tooth, because I shook so hard I chipped it. I have scars on my arms and belly from breaking a window to climb out. I have a funky ankle because I dislocated it and tore tendons, waking up and trying to escape a moving car.
Yeah, a dream CAN hurt you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM

Had a nightmare last night myself. Friends showed up for a barn party and said they got the last Coors light in town! I flipped out and asked about the Miller Lite supplies, said there was only a few left. I began to panic and then I woke up in a sweat.... Just got back from town, still lots of beer, so happy it was all a dream!
The Following User Says Thank You to HighPlainsDrifter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 12:29 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,223 Posts

Well, something strange happened to me yesterday afternoon.

I was awakened from a nap by sounds of gunshots and men shouting. I couldn't see any signs of trouble when I looked outside. I texted my neighbor, asking him if he'd heard gunshots and shouting. He had not; however, his house is almost half a mile away from my house, so if gunshots and shouting were happening near my house, there's a good chance he would not have heard the racket. The noises seemed very real to me, but I'm pretty much convinced it was all a dream. Makes sense, because defending my home and property is my #1 concern in connection with the pandemic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 12:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,796 Times in 2,539 Posts

I had some pandemic dreams years back but none since the Covid-19 outbreak.

My dreams were a tad disturbing as they eventually evolved into the government being able to hold people accountable for what could be found on their property. If you were found to be allowing conditions that could increase the likely hood bacterial hybridization or that allowed dangerous bacteria to proliferate you could actually be be guilt of criminal charges. This did not just apply to dangerous viruses and bacteria but the insect vectors that can spread them as well. Basically they could remove you from your own land if they felt your land contained a threat.

Just a crazy set of dreams, but I could see the potential that governments could use the fear of viruses and bacteria to wreak havoc on rural land owners rights.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 9,202 Times in 3,544 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

No dreams, pandemic or otherwise, here. In order to dream, I'd have to get into REM sleep. Doesn't happen. I'm lucky to get ANY sleep. Mostly just dozing off and on all night. More off than on. So, no sleep, no dreams.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,208 Times in 2,114 Posts

I must be doing something wrong. All I dream about is good times with good friends with cold beverages on a hot day in the pool this summer. I hope that doesn't turn out to be just a dream.