Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-16-2019, 01:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,299 Times in 7,286 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
And I'm saying you're wrong. I'm saying its the last vestige of 2A we have, and the only way we could restore it.

But CC certainly has had unintended consequences, or I don't know, maybe they where intended by your bunch. I'm not sure we are on the same side.

That consequence being that people treat gun rights not as a right but as something you get permission from the government to carry...in secret....maybe...if you make the cut....and that guns are not a birthright as a human being...but some objectionable tool that you keep hidden.

I'm disgusted. And I'm depressed. But not surprised. I suspect your ilk will be however when your CC 'right' goes away next. Unless that is what you wanted all alone...which seems plausible at this point

See you in hell, Billy yank.
NO! I carried all my life. I did not get a CWP until I was over 60 and retired. I was brought up to carry openly when you had a reason other wise do not advertise you are carrying. There was a period in the late 60s early 70s open carrying long guns in pickup trucks was the fashion statement in our state. No law caused that to go away. If you took them out every time you got out it was a lot of trouble. If you left them in they got stolen. It was just a dumb thing to do because of the unintended consequences.

There is no law against open carrying in my state nor NC. In fact I was stopped in NC once. The officer ask for my registration. It was in my glove box with my handgun. I told him and gave him permission to open my glove box and get the registration. I did not want him thinking I was reaching for the gun. He did. He ask if I had a CWP and I said no. He thanked me for my honesty. Did not give me a ticket and told me to keep the gun in the open from then on.

On the flip side a man brought a gun to sell to another in the parking lot of my wife's work. They got reported the HR and were terminated.

So just open carry if you like. You are still foolish for doing so and you are not advancing your rights one bit.

It is a misconception because one must have a CWP to conceal carry it is illegal to open carry. Think of open carrying as bad manners if it makes you feel better but do not give yourself some grandiose idea you are fighting for the second amendment.

The worst part of any carrying is the various state laws when traveling long distances. Or if you are traveling to visit someone that lives on a military base.

Which one of us is most likely to get into trouble? I conceal carry into a store with a legally posted sign not to and you open carry into the same store? Say we did it without thinking and without noticing the sign. I am likely to come and go as always undetected by anyone. You are likely to be noticed by 9 out of 10. Maybe one of the 9 goes to the trouble to notify store security and maybe not.

There is one and only one reason to open carry. That is to show off. All the others are rationalizations [the action of attempting to explain or justify behavior or an attitude with logical reasons, even if these are not appropriate].
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 02:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,236 Posts

I don't really think open carry is the last vestige of 2A and I don't think it is in danger of being outlawed anywhere it is now legal.
It's been around a loooong time, much longer than CC permits in most places. 3 of the 4 states I have lived in always have had legal OC going back as long as anyone could remember.. CC would be more likely to get taken away before OC, in my opinion. Just because LEO's would rather to be able to see who is armed at a glance. Bad guys, too.
Growing up there weren't many people in my area that OC'd a handgun, though. But a 10 year old me walking into town with my .22 rifle to buy ammo at Western Auto never raised any eyebrows. Nor did the rifles and shotguns in people's pick up truck windows.
I prefer CC myself for a number of reasons. For one, I do believe that if someone is planning some mayhem, it just makes sense that they would try to take out any armed people they see. I would if it were me. So, I believe the element of surprise would likely work out in my favor. We have Constitutional Carry here now but I maintain my permit for reciprocity while traveling. Every now and then I'll OC on a quick trip into a store on a very hot day, but generally it's just not that hard to pop a cover shirt on for a few minutes. It's worked fine for 17 years now.
I am perfectly fine with folks who want to open carry but I do wonder why and really haven't seen any compelling reasons for it. I watch how people react to the occasional open carrier I bump into. The idea that it will help people change their minds as they get more used to seeing it is just silly. From my observations, most people are not alarmed at all and simply don't care. Many appreciate it and will say so to the carrier. But all the newly minted SJW's and the hard core anti's? It just triggers them. No amount of acclimation will change their mind. Now, I don't care that they get triggered. I'm more concerned that they may try something stupid, like Swatting. I do think that the yahoos who insist on making a scene with their AR in public are overall bad for the cause.
As for the stores jumping on the SJW bandwagon, it's a plain stupid business decision on their part. But, their property, their business. I have to give them a little credit, though. They could have jumped straight to No Guns Allowed, but they didn't, and I'm kind of surprised by that. So, in most cases they haven't taken away your ability to carry in their stores to protect yourself and your family. They have just asked that you don't do it openly. I don't shop most of these places much anyway and this will definitely be part of future shopping decisions. However, if I need something quick and they have it, I will still probably darken their doorstep now and then.
I have no doubt that some of this will elicit shrill accusations of FUDD!!! from a few members here, but, oh well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
The argument is wether gun owners should just roll over and hide in a closet or stand up for 2A.
If you really wanted to stand up fo 2A you would open carry a pair of AR-15s with 30 round magazines into the mall.
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 10:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,299 Times in 7,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black.Dog~ View Post
I don't really think open carry is the last vestige of 2A and I don't think it is in danger of being outlawed anywhere it is now legal.
It's been around a loooong time, much longer than CC permits in most places. 3 of the 4 states I have lived in always have had legal OC going back as long as anyone could remember.. CC would be more likely to get taken away before OC, in my opinion. Just because LEO's would rather to be able to see who is armed at a glance. Bad guys, too.
Growing up there weren't many people in my area that OC'd a handgun, though. But a 10 year old me walking into town with my .22 rifle to buy ammo at Western Auto never raised any eyebrows. Nor did the rifles and shotguns in people's pick up truck windows.
I prefer CC myself for a number of reasons. For one, I do believe that if someone is planning some mayhem, it just makes sense that they would try to take out any armed people they see. I would if it were me. So, I believe the element of surprise would likely work out in my favor. We have Constitutional Carry here now but I maintain my permit for reciprocity while traveling. Every now and then I'll OC on a quick trip into a store on a very hot day, but generally it's just not that hard to pop a cover shirt on for a few minutes. It's worked fine for 17 years now.
I am perfectly fine with folks who want to open carry but I do wonder why and really haven't seen any compelling reasons for it. I watch how people react to the occasional open carrier I bump into. The idea that it will help people change their minds as they get more used to seeing it is just silly. From my observations, most people are not alarmed at all and simply don't care. Many appreciate it and will say so to the carrier. But all the newly minted SJW's and the hard core anti's? It just triggers them. No amount of acclimation will change their mind. Now, I don't care that they get triggered. I'm more concerned that they may try something stupid, like Swatting. I do think that the yahoos who insist on making a scene with their AR in public are overall bad for the cause.
As for the stores jumping on the SJW bandwagon, it's a plain stupid business decision on their part. But, their property, their business. I have to give them a little credit, though. They could have jumped straight to No Guns Allowed, but they didn't, and I'm kind of surprised by that. So, in most cases they haven't taken away your ability to carry in their stores to protect yourself and your family. They have just asked that you don't do it openly. I don't shop most of these places much anyway and this will definitely be part of future shopping decisions. However, if I need something quick and they have it, I will still probably darken their doorstep now and then.
I have no doubt that some of this will elicit shrill accusations of FUDD!!! from a few members here, but, oh well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What he said!
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 04:30 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,394 Times in 1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
NO! I carried all my life. I did not get a CWP until I was over 60 and retired. I was brought up to carry openly when you had a reason other wise do not advertise you are carrying. There was a period in the late 60s early 70s open carrying long guns in pickup trucks was the fashion statement in our state. No law caused that to go away. If you took them out every time you got out it was a lot of trouble. If you left them in they got stolen. It was just a dumb thing to do because of the unintended consequences.

There is no law against open carrying in my state nor NC. In fact I was stopped in NC once. The officer ask for my registration. It was in my glove box with my handgun. I told him and gave him permission to open my glove box and get the registration. I did not want him thinking I was reaching for the gun. He did. He ask if I had a CWP and I said no. He thanked me for my honesty. Did not give me a ticket and told me to keep the gun in the open from then on.

On the flip side a man brought a gun to sell to another in the parking lot of my wife's work. They got reported the HR and were terminated.

So just open carry if you like. You are still foolish for doing so and you are not advancing your rights one bit.

It is a misconception because one must have a CWP to conceal carry it is illegal to open carry. Think of open carrying as bad manners if it makes you feel better but do not give yourself some grandiose idea you are fighting for the second amendment.

The worst part of any carrying is the various state laws when traveling long distances. Or if you are traveling to visit someone that lives on a military base.

Which one of us is most likely to get into trouble? I conceal carry into a store with a legally posted sign not to and you open carry into the same store? Say we did it without thinking and without noticing the sign. I am likely to come and go as always undetected by anyone. You are likely to be noticed by 9 out of 10. Maybe one of the 9 goes to the trouble to notify store security and maybe not.

There is one and only one reason to open carry. That is to show off. All the others are rationalizations [the action of attempting to explain or justify behavior or an attitude with logical reasons, even if these are not appropriate].
I am guessing with your name you are in SC. SC is NOT an open carry state and you cannot open carry UNLESS you are going to or from or engaged in hunting or fishing with valid licenses. Or you are on your own property or have permission to do so on someone elses. Talk about stipulations. But it should be a Constitutional carry state however current lawmakers won't budge. Just so as to no confusion this is the current SC gun law https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php