Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old Today, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 31,577 Times in 7,481 Posts

Advertise Here

Perhaps the South Koreans and the Iranians know more than we do. Or perhaps they are taking this a little more seriously?

You can take this for what it's worth; a little while ago I posted the link to the Johns-Hopkins website. Checking it a few moments ago the number of reported cases is up by a little more than 1000.

Last edited by AZ_HighCountry; Today at 07:28 PM.. Reason: adding more information
Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im RIght View Post
Dude, water falls from the sky! Get yourself a blue tarp stretch it out in backyard on fence posts, not under trees and put it out when it rains and take it in afterwards to avoid bird droppings and other contanimants if you don't have the means to clean it. Use some containers to catch rain water.

Make sure you have solar to run your freezer, and "bait" some animals near in if supplies start getting low-ish. Think traps as they don't take any of your time. This would be a good time to research how to make some small game traps...

I have pool for waste water/washing/cleaning so drinking water will come from the sky.
Dude, I not a neophyte when it comes to preparedness. I was referencing potable water supplies for drinking I have on hand before I needed to treat more water. We have water barrels outside, plus a lake close by. Critters like squirrels, rabbits, doves, etc are in our backyard, and I have traps if needed both live catch and plenty of snares if it came to that. Thanks Dude, for your input but Iím good as is for what I want!
The Following User Says Thank You to Broadwing For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:31 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 13,198 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
What is the population of you County? Then how many hospital beds are in your County?

In my small county the population is approx 22,000. However we only have 25 hospital beds.
Even more importantly, how many ICU beds and ventilators do you have? I would venture none. With your hospital counting on being able to quickly evac such a patient to their next higher supporting hospital.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:33 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 34,449 Times in 8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
This is being way overblown imo. In completed/closed cases, we have a less than 10% death rate with an over 90% recovery rate. For total cases, the fatality rate is ~2%. Let's get a grip people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
First, we have NO IDEA of the number of cases. Could be 5 million cases and 2 million deaths. China controls most of the information and wasn't doing anything about it for 2 months from November - January.

If you believe only 2500 people died in China, I think you put too much faith in China.

Next, assuming the figures are correct, there's around 80,000 infected but only around 25,000 "resolved cases." And 2500 dead. So about 10% have died. We don't have resolution on the other 55,000 cases so we don't know.

A 10% fatality rate is terrifying for an airborne easily transmissible disease.

That's all theoretical.

Hundreds of millions were locked in their homes. Probably tens of millions did not get treatment or tests, so aren't reflected on numbers. And a large % of those probably suffered and died. We simply don't know but it would be silly to assume otherwise IMHO.

My guess is that millions have been infected in China, and hundreds of thousands have died.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:36 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhorse View Post
I had a talk with the relative in Gen Practice. They had there usual end of week update to go over current issues. There was no addressing the COVID19. In fact there weekly updated sheet of recent infectious diseases to be on the look out for didn't mention it.

That's because there is no test for it in the state.

No test - no virus!
An LEO friend of mine said they were getting departmental briefs on the virus but that has stopped.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:39 PM
Prepared

Quote:
This is being way overblown imo. In completed/closed cases, we have a less than 10% death rate with an over 90% recovery rate. For total cases, the fatality rate is ~2%. Let's get a grip people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Actually the numbers that have been coming from places other than China indicate a 15%-16% death rate for all infected.
Old Today, 07:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 31,577 Times in 7,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Even more importantly, how many ICU beds and ventilators do you have? I would venture none. With your hospital counting on being able to quickly evac such a patient to their next higher supporting hospital.
EXACTLY!!! In a similar situation, on the flight to Nairobi I befriended a Brit lady who was on her way to Nairobi to pick up her adult daughter. Adult daughter (age 25) came down with a virus in the blood stream on Kilimanjaro. The Tanzanian hospital did not have the facilities to properly treat her so they airlifted her to the main hospital in Nairobi.

Yes, there are rural hospitals in the US that will be in the same situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:41 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Did you even read your quote. That absurdly high death rate they quote is for those WHO NEED TO BE HOSPITALIZED. 90% of those who contract the virus do not need the hospital.
More like 75%
Old Today, 07:41 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
OK, hire those folks /services then. Assuming they are still available, and the only constraint was the 1 item.

Point still stands. If you think you will need "X" to survive and the Government Medical system will not have it for you, then in a free market, you may have options . or resign yourself to succumbing.

Seems like FEMA, whose job this is, would have bought a few thousand ventilators instead of all the other less useful crap they buy to prep for emergencies like trailers, bullets, MREs, coffins etc.
Like a few thousand ventilators would even make a dent when the prediction is 18 million people in need of an ICU
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:42 PM

Thanked 2,260 Times in 899 Posts

News is really coming fast!
Old Today, 07:51 PM

Let's see how the lockdown goes for the Italians

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/s...55647926685701

Its gaining serious legs over there. I don't know why I wasn't expecting it to move so fast? I admit I'm a bit in shock, I've never seen anything like this happen in my 48 years.

As far as pessimism goes, it's probably easy to feel less of it when you're in a demographic that the disease doesn't seem as likely to claim. My stepdad, mother, brother, and boyfriend are all in moderate and high risk categories. I'll try to keep positive, and I'm also one of those folks that does better under extreme SHTF situations so I think my morale will improve. We will need someone to rally the soldiers after all.