not a lot of sword threads? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 11-29-2019, 09:01 AM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriley View Post
And then there are these:

https://www.swordcane.com/

The best sword canes made.
Wow. As both a sword enthusiast and bench jeweler/CAD designer, I am awestruck. Canes as fine as the finest firearms. Burger Custom Canes is quite the shop! Seeing these totally raises the bar. I now want to design and create my own handle.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2019, 09:28 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,147 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
Check around with the Afghanistan and Iraq vets, and any police department vets, and I'm sure the number that tells you they fought with a sword or something like a sword is 0.
I found it a real PITA getting in and out of a patrol car with a 28" blade strapped to the belt. Oh, and I can tell you from experience a galvanized metal trash can lid can be employed as an acceptable shield when subduing a wakizashi wielding suspect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,375 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriley View Post
And then there are these:

https://www.swordcane.com/

The best sword canes made.
Sexy!

Being thrifty I cannot justify those dollars but if I win the lottery I'm buying everybody on this thread one.
The Following User Says Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 05:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,612 Posts

I like swords. Actually I really like the looks of some of them, but there is a problem with them. They take lots of training to use properly. They have a lot of cool factor, but not a lot of practical use factor for many of us.

A light quick sword like a rapier extends your reach and is certainly lethal, but again it's that training. Not just the cost of a class or the time to fit classes into your schedule, but others like myself that live in very rural areas would have to figure in the time and gas to drive 150 miles or more to each class.

As an untrained person if I were fighting off a home invader (that didn't have a gun) I'd probably be better off using a butcher or bowie knife. At least it's a weapon I'm used to using even if for other tasks.

I think that's part of why you don't get a lot of threads on them. Just not practical for many of us.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,027 Times in 4,234 Posts

Just as a blade enthusiast, I like swords as I own a couple; some traditional, some more modern "short swords":

However, I value shorter blades, simply for actually carrying (if needed) first, utility second, and longer reach as a defensive weapon last.

I have several "large" knives also, but their weight becomes a factor despite their more robust designs than thinner machetes. I really like the 12-14" machete designs as a tool and viable weapon:

If I truly needed to consider a bladed tool as a weapon, I would much prefer something like Cold Steel's spear heads...longer reach and while a pole-arm does require skill, it's less than what you would need to invest in actually being proficient with a sword. If I was really considering a sword for more than utility, it would likely be a short Gladius/Quma/Lokonian/ style; basic chopping and stabbing and short enough to maneuver in tight spaces if needed.

Of course, if we're fighting zombies in the apocalypse, style points matter and who wouldn't want to win with style points?

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 01:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 59,403 Times in 19,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Just as a blade enthusiast, I like swords as I own a couple; some traditional, some more modern "short swords":

However, I value shorter blades, simply for actually carrying (if needed) first, utility second, and longer reach as a defensive weapon last.

I have several "large" knives also, but their weight becomes a factor despite their more robust designs than thinner machetes. I really like the 12-14" machete designs as a tool and viable weapon:

If I truly needed to consider a bladed tool as a weapon, I would much prefer something like Cold Steel's spear heads...longer reach and while a pole-arm does require skill, it's less than what you would need to invest in actually being proficient with a sword. If I was really considering a sword for more than utility, it would likely be a short Gladius/Quma/Lokonian/ style; basic chopping and stabbing and short enough to maneuver in tight spaces if needed.
.jpg[/IMG]

Of course, if we're fighting zombies in the apocalypse, style points matter and who wouldn't want to win with style points?

ROCK6
That dude doesnt.

Metro hair will get in his eyes
No training with his blade.
Good thing his hand grenades just a trainer because it's gonna either fall out his belt or get the pin pulled and explode pretty darn quick.
His Soviet gas mask won't stop CS,
He has semi (rimless) rifle rounds in his bandoleer
Oh yea, and the revolver in his hand, and the semi on his vest holster are both BB guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 05:05 AM
Thread killer

Thanked 1,618 Times in 764 Posts

"As an untrained person if I were fighting off a home invader (that didn't have a gun) I'd probably be better off using a butcher or bowie knife. At least it's a weapon I'm used to using even if for other tasks."

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this train of thought. I guess I'm just mean, it would never occur to me to assess the weaponry of a Home Invader, and try to make it a fair contest.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:07 AM
Thread killer

Thanked 1,618 Times in 764 Posts

Remington 870, the new wazimacallit.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
"As an untrained person if I were fighting off a home invader (that didn't have a gun) I'd probably be better off using a butcher or bowie knife. At least it's a weapon I'm used to using even if for other tasks."

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this train of thought. I guess I'm just mean, it would never occur to me to assess the weaponry of a Home Invader, and try to make it a fair contest.
You're reading it wrong. It was meant more as if he has a gun and I don't I'd be better off heading out the back door.

Either way my wife and I both have bedside guns. Risking taking a knife to a gunfight is not for me,