Tops knives & condor knives - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 11-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Target Shooter

Default Tops knives & condor knives

Advertise Here

does any one have trouble sharpening a tops knife, or a condor bush lore ? im not sure maybe both are 1070 steel. but i can sharpen most knives really good, my little tops knife seems almost impossible to sharpen, and the bush lore by condor too, the condor has a scandi grind, maybe its more difficult to sharpen because of that, but the tops i dunno its just weird steel to me, any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,811 Posts

TOPS knives are usually 1095, not sure about Condor. I don't have any great tips for you, unfortunately. The only Condor I've ever used (can't remember the model) had such a weird grind that it got relegated to backup status and has never seen enough usage to warrant sharpening.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:07 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,001 Times in 20,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper2221 View Post
does any one have trouble sharpening a tops knife, or a condor bush lore ? im not sure maybe both are 1070 steel. but i can sharpen most knives really good, my little tops knife seems almost impossible to sharpen, and the bush lore by condor too, the condor has a scandi grind, maybe its more difficult to sharpen because of that, but the tops i dunno its just weird steel to me, any thoughts?
I think outdoorsey Condors tend to have a convex grind, which is stronger for wood chopping duties, but not as razor sharp.

I use a belt sander to put an edge on larger blades and axes. Mankind invented the motor a long time ago and I use it!

1075 high carbon steel on their bush Primitive.
http://www.condortk.com/productos-de...cto=133&cat=81

They also do 1095.

http://www.condortk.com/productos-de...ucto=81&cat=71

http://www.condortk.com/productos-de...cto=103&cat=72
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Target Shooter

i have a essy 1095 i can sharpen to a razor edge, but this dang tops ha i dunno kinda weird starting to not like the tops knife i own
Old 11-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,027 Times in 4,234 Posts

Much depends on the knife. Some TOPS designs can be pretty thick with a very steep shoulder. I've found I needed to reprofile them for an easier edge to maintain (and slice better).

Both Condor and TOPS have higher carbon and stainless knives. Condor usually has softer stainless steels making them easier to sharpen, but I've heard their heat treatment is much better and they can be a little harder to sharpen without the right sharpener.

It's all about having a consistent angle, the right grit to shave metal and work it down to a burr; takes time and patience, but once you get there, they are far easier to maintain and can be kept razor sharp.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 12:49 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,376 Times in 11,475 Posts
Thumbs up tops is famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper2221 View Post
for putting too steep a angle on a thick blade.Carny and i struggled with a TOPS TB Tracker, the #1 is .250 thick and surprisingly the TBT#4 which is the micro version neck knife i have holds a edge, and and is easier to get back its .130 and i didnt have to widen the grind on it. holds a edge just fine. Had to recut the Bevel on the primary and secondary edge to get it to hold a decent edge
which tops do you have ? most TOPS ive delt with are 1095 56/58 RC its a good steel, I like D2 better but i have a few 1095 knives.
TOPS uses 1095 HC, 5160 HC, 154CM ,ATS-34, 440C and once in a while another quality steel, depending on the knife.
the condor bushlore is 1075. same family of steel .the 1095 should hold a edge longer, the 1075(Bushlore) should be easier to sharpen .

saying that thay are both high carbon steels chemical composition, the 1075 is higher on Manganese and lower on carbon content, which makes the metal on the 1075 slightly softer than the 1095(Tops)
the secret to keeping those steals sharp is keeping them sharp. last thing i do when i get home is Hit my blade im carrying, a few times on the razor strop hanging by the front door. takes 10 seconds of your day.
TOPS does do a free resharpen service on their knives, you pay postage both ways.
if they have gotten blunt, i would get someone at a speciality shop to re-sharpen, the get a strop and some jewelers rouge, and get in the habit of stropping em every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post: