Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth... Ddahl Food and water 51 08-08-2014 01:10 PM
So without mentioning the name of the story DRPLMMM Books, Movies & Stories 58 02-25-2014 11:51 AM
Job interview..Mentioning hunting/ guns? geordie1 British Isles and ROI 20 05-10-2013 03:07 PM
Help, not sure on worth EntropyFx Rifle Forum 3 11-24-2012 04:41 PM
Would it be worth it? KoJ Firearms General Discussion 22 09-29-2012 12:33 PM
Is this worth anything??? POPPALUV Jokes, Humor & Music 7 08-17-2012 01:32 PM
Wow Media Light Day on mentioning NY primary styxNstones Political News and Discussion 4 04-25-2012 07:36 AM
Mentioning of Foodstamps.....Kind of A Rant DarkBlue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 08-19-2011 12:17 AM
How much is this worth. knifemaker2222 Rifle Forum 13 10-13-2009 06:10 AM

Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 AM
R.I.P. my USA, 1776-2008

Thanked 4,822 Times in 1,759 Posts
Default Worth mentioning again ...

Advertise Here

Recently here on SB and on another site I peruse, I've noticed a renewed interest in the contents of the first aid supplies a person carries/stores for long term hiking/wilderness adventures and/or in their prepping.

I find that the following items get overlooked rather easily and most commonly and I'd like to relist them as items that I think all should have in their BOB/backpack:
- The book 'Where There is no Doctor'.
- The book 'Where There is no Dentist'.
- 'Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual' and/or 'Hawke's Special Forces Survival Handbook'.

and in my opinion, two largest overlooked 'kits':

1) A dental/oral hygiene daily care and first aid kit for the mouth. This is by far one of the most overlooked preps. Look at how many people you know that do not take care of their mouth and teeth now. Few understand the host of fatal events that can occur because of a simple impacted tooth and/or cavity. There are other threads here on SB and via an internet search that can give you the items needed to build a nice dental hygiene kit.

2) Laxatives and diarrhea management items. Long term hiking, bushcrafting, survival scenarios has the potential to wreak havoc on the digestive system. We all know this. Build a kit that contains fiber gummies, Exlax, mineral oil, Ducolax, and the like. A severe bout of constipation can cause a fatality in many ways. The same for a bout of diarrhea. Diarrhea in the wild can cause dehydration, not to mention deplete your stores of fresh/available of H2O. In your kit throw in anti-diarrhea agents such as Kaopectate Multi Symptom Relief Tablets, available at any Rx store OTC.

To me, I view the books not so much for myself, but for someone that may stumble across me & find me weak and possibly dying. I can guide them to certain chapters that I think are applicable for the condition they find me in.

The Dental & Digestive Health kit is as important to me as my water purification/gathering methods and shelter skills. I don't know about you, but when I'm 'bound' up, I'm miserable and unproductive. The same when I am suffering the 'runs'. At home we're relatively safe with available resources, in the wild tho', either condition can be fatal.

Just my thoughts/contributions to an always worthy topic. As always, YMMV.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mmbsr For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 08:31 PM

As long as we're talking about books to read and have...

I recently picked up a used edition of FIRST AID - RESPONDING TO EMERGENCIES (American Red Cross) on eBay for $4.00 shipped to my door. (There many more available in different conditions and prices when I ordered. New editions can also be purchased at Amazon.)

This book is a step by step study guide from the American Red Cross written to teach the reader basic First Aid. It contains many useful photographs and practical questions at the end of each chapter.

It would be a great guide and learning tool for someone wanting to learn First Aid as well as a good refresher for those who already know it.

The chapters included are:

1. - Introduction
2. - Responding to an emergency
3. - Before giving care
4. - Body systems
5. - Checking the victim
6. - Life threatening emergencies
7. - Cardiac emergencies
8. - Bleeding
9. - Shock
10. - Soft tissue injuries
11. - Musculoskeletal injuries
12. - Injuries to the extremities
13. - Injuries to the head
14. - Injuries to the chest, abdomen, and pelvis
15. - Sudden illness
16. - Poisoning
17. - Bites and stings
18. - Substance misuse and abuse
19. - Heat and Cold-related emergencies
20. - Reaching and moving victims in the water
21. - People with special needs
22. - Childbirth
23. - Delayed help situations
24. - A safer and healthier life

... as well as numerous sub-sections in each chapter.

Sorry to be so long winded... but I wanted to pass this along to those wanting to learn First Aid and don't have the time to take a formal class. I think this book contains a lot of real useful medical/first-aid information for short money.
The Following User Says Thank You to WizardOfID For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,783 Times in 4,826 Posts

For the Poor folks, it is also free to view:

http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 08:50 PM