Help within an hour of a catastrophic disaster? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We're On Track for Catastrophic Climate Change beezaur Manmade and Natural Disasters 501 01-24-2014 08:57 PM
Sudden, Catastrophic Climate Change beezaur Manmade and Natural Disasters 153 11-14-2013 06:26 PM
Australia heat, fires 'catastrophic' Sailorsam Manmade and Natural Disasters 6 01-09-2013 06:27 PM
One Week (168 hour) Bug Out Disaster Bag Kosst Amojan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 08-14-2012 12:10 PM
Elenin/SOMETHING CATASTROPHIC IS BREWING IN U.S.A. !!!. Mullenite Controversial News and Alternative Politics 169 08-19-2011 10:00 AM
Something catastrophic is brewing in u.s.a. !!! phxvalleygirl Controversial News and Alternative Politics 11 06-28-2011 04:04 PM
catastrophic AR KABOOM robbiec Firearms General Discussion 46 04-27-2011 07:37 AM
Catastrophic Breakdown Looms ozarkeagle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 02-01-2010 07:12 AM
Catastrophic M1A failure TXShelbyman Firearms General Discussion 6 06-20-2008 09:19 AM
Wild bee decline 'catastrophic' kev General Discussion 14 05-02-2008 10:06 AM

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,625 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default Help within an hour of a catastrophic disaster?

Advertise Here

Good Morning!

I ran across an Annual Survey of the American Public by the National Center for Disaster Preparedness, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health and The Childrenís Health Fund and thought I'd share it with you.

The document is very short but demonstrates how out of touch with reality some people were in 2007 and probably still are. Many people think that help is going to arrive for them within an hour of a catastrophic disaster!

Quote:
...Over one-third of Americans believe that in the event of a catastrophic disaster, help would arrive to assist them within the hour (37%). Some Americans are even more optimistic regarding the speed of first response during a disaster: 55% of African-Americans, 51% of Latinos, and 45% of big city residents believe help will arrive within the first hour after a disaster. Overall, two-thirds of the country believes that help will arrive within several hours of the disaster...
These are the kinds of people we'll have to deal with after a disaster. They'll have no food, no water, no cash and no preps. After three days of no food and drinking out of their hot water tank many of them could get pretty desperate for food and clean water. Seems to me one of our best and cheapest defense is to get more people interested in main stream prep programs like CERT.

You can download the study (PDF) here: http://www.ncdp.mailman.columbia.edu/files/NCDP07.pdf and find more documents here: http://www.ncdp.mailman.columbia.edu/research.htm
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,760 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

It depends on the disaster. They're probably thinking more in terms of smaller, localized events. We're a city that has never experienced a flood, so I assume we don't even have an actual flood plan in place. Yet in 2006 we got washed off the map, and they had people in flooded neighborhoods extricated, treated and at shelters within in hour.

But we've also all see larger events like the big California quake, Katrina of course, and the various hurricanes that have hit Florida and such. Help certainly wasn't there in an hour and often not for many days.

But one thing I've noticed about people in conversations I've had with them. They don't think in terms of bigger events like that. It's too far out of their comfort zone, so they resort to the "it can't happen to me" defense mechanism. There's no getting through that wall. I know, I've tried. These are the ones that will expect help within in hour in an event where it's simply not realistic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Prepared

I was ground zero for the LA Riots. The National Guard didn't even bring ammo with them... and didn't deploy till day 4. (They like to say they deployed day 3.)

By that time... armed citizens had already taken the city back by themselves. The looters and gang bangers were scared sh-tless when they suddenly found out what training and firepower meant.

And damn those Koreans were good.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 25,825 Times in 7,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Seems to me one of our best and cheapest defense is to get more people interested in main stream prep programs like CERT.
Good luck with that.

I mean, I agree that it would be good, but...

If we could just get the average person here in hurricaneland to follow the standard advice about keeping 3 days worth of supplies on hand, I'd be ecstatic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,625 Times in 1,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
...one thing I've noticed about people in conversations I've had with them. They don't think in terms of bigger events like that. It's too far out of their comfort zone, so they resort to the "it can't happen to me" defense mechanism. There's no getting through that wall...
MikeK, I truly understand what you are talking about! The way I try to wake people up now is slow and gentle. I just plant a small thought or two at a time and leave it at that. Eventually they either ask another question or are reminded of what I said by a news story. So far I'm "converting" about one person per month to very light prepping (3 to 21 days of bug in supplies.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaGeorge View Post
I was ground zero for the LA Riots. The National Guard didn't even bring ammo with them... and didn't deploy till day 4. (They like to say they deployed day 3.)

By that time... armed citizens had already taken the city back by themselves. The looters and gang bangers were scared sh-tless when they suddenly found out what training and firepower meant.

And damn those Koreans were good.
Heh, yes I've seen the YouTube videos and read some of the real accounts of what happened in the LA Riots that the msm didn't report. If the SHTF that way again I'd like to be surrounded by those Koreans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old dude View Post
...If we could just get the average person here in hurricaneland to follow the standard advice about keeping 3 days worth of supplies on hand, I'd be ecstatic...
I hear what you are saying. I am not aware of any place that has had different results but this next year I may have a chance to motivate people to prep for disasters locally. We'll see if I can find a way to improve overall preparedness in the community.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM

It is my opinion that if a s.h.t.f. or teotwawki event happened help would be several days if not weeks away. cities would be overrun by looters and gangs and after the food and water ran out they would head out to suburbs and smaller towns and villiges.after that country folk would take care of the problem......
The Following User Says Thank You to prepper4life For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
I love this forum

good post i agree with you
Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I took the oath, you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepper4life View Post
It is my opinion that if a s.h.t.f. or teotwawki event happened help would be several days if not weeks away. cities would be overrun by looters and gangs and after the food and water ran out they would head out to suburbs and smaller towns and villiges.after that country folk would take care of the problem......
Yes we would.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssbn642blue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 25,825 Times in 7,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It depends on the disaster.
Do me a favor, and repeat that sentence in every other thread here.

Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
The War to end all Wars

In Fla for the past couple of years at the start of each hurricane season there has been an ad campaign "The first 72 is on you" trying to point out that in the aftermath of a significant storm nobody is going to be there for a while. Those of us who have been through a couple tend to get ready those that haven't get hammered. I must admit to a tad bit of amusement at all the people with "hurricane amnesia" who have been through one but think it can't happen again. Probably the same folks who think that denial is a river in Egypt.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ww1military For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Breaking necks

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepper4life View Post
If TEOTWAWKI occurs I think you will be waiting a bit longer
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanked 1,156 Times in 506 Posts

We're at risk where I live to a Cascadia Subduction Zone Event...superthrust earthquake and tsunami.

We have already been 'advised' that it may take six months to get relief...

I live 200 feet above the ocean on bedrock so no problem there (generally speaking LOL).

I have prepared accordingly...
The Following User Says Thank You to wifiwaves For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,373 Times in 409 Posts

I lived in Florida for a few years, and we had a few hurricanes EVERY year.
EVERY time one was on the way, the stores sold out of water, flashlights, batteries, caned food, etc. Some people refuse to be ready, no matter what the risk.
You can't fix stupid
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bridgetdaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 PM
space cowboy

I always love the statment from freinds etc. "man it the shtf Im coming to your house." I just dont have the heart to tell "ok, but I wont be here."
The Following User Says Thank You to din_blix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 03:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,146 Times in 521 Posts

I wasnt in country during the LA riots.. and never heard about the Koreans.

I remember when I think it was rita was announced that it might hit Texas, where I lived at that the time. I stopped at the grocery store for some odds and ends and found the place packed. this was the same day it was announced and a week before it was due to hit. every store in a hundred miles was out of bottled water and running short on lots of stuff.

I was talking to a friend on my cell as I walked down an aisle watching people scoop bags of rice into carts already loaded with ramen noodles and other products that needed water to cook, panicing about where to get water. I finally stopped and suggested to several they go over to walmart and buy those big fifty gallon trash cans, take them home and fill them up with water. and buy stuff that didnt need water to eat, if at all possible.. the looks I got.. I mean please . they have had years with out a hurricane and should have been ready. and here with a week to go forgot they still had water running at home and could buy containers to fill up. it only got worse as the week wound down and the hurricane swept in on us.

wasnt fun to watch a huge city and the surrounding towns freak out and panic so badly. but after Katrina they were running scared.

just a side note.. two days before it hit I drove around looking, most of the place was deserted. it was a ghost town. stopped at a gas station I usually used , and three cars were sitting with what looked like gang bangers standing around it. I lived outside of houston at the time so that wasnt something we usually saw. I pulled up on the other side, and saw a woman inside. who begged me to get her out of there. she was scared crapless of the punks. I gave her a lift to the sherriffs department. seems that the company, one of the big ones.. demanded she stay behind and tend to a store that was empty and out of gas or lose her job. after the punks showed up she decided to lose her job instead of her life. they were out of gas and ticked off.

sorry I know thats off topic.. but it still ticks me that a company would pull that kind of crap. now back to our regularly scheduled topic.. LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outdoors For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 AM
I love this forum

my greatest "problem" is that i have an elderly mother who relies completely on me. i honestly don't know how i am going to be able to save her the day after. it weighs heavily on my mind.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Good news everyone

I think most people interviewed have probably only dealt with disasters in movies. In the movies, the gov't has stepped in and saved the world in 90 minutes and it always has a happy ending.

I am giving them 90 minutes to save the world or I am writing my congressman.
Simple as that.

Take that establishment!
The Following User Says Thank You to davmatt74 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,006 Times in 3,842 Posts

Some folks just seem to be out of touch with reality.

What's the saying?
Call for an ambulance, the police and a pizza.
Which one shows up first?

I've been in car accidents where it took several hours for the police to show up.
I'd think that it would be more hectic in a disaster.
But that's just me.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,286 Times in 4,089 Posts

We live in a cyclone zone and ealier this season the govt. put ads in the papers and on tv advising people to stock up on 3 weeks worth of water and food. Do you think ANYONE took notice?

Most people are just plain stupid or lazy. Probably both. If people think they have the right to have assistance when they have been neglectful of clear warnings to be prepared, then they deserve what ever trouble they bring upon themselves. I'm not being harsh here, it's a law of nature, you reap what you sow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,312 Posts

People who have this someone-is-coming attitude know nothing about history. Who came to help the people of Pompei? Who gave assistance after the 1812 earthquake on the New Madrid fault that shook several states and turned the Mississippi River around? Who rode to the rescue when 50% of the population died during the plague years? People aren't capable of caring for themselves anymore, and they're going to be in deep doodle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SouthernSassy For This Useful Post: