The Cattle Thread - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After the cattle got sic dillin Books, Movies & Stories 636 02-12-2019 05:40 PM
How many cattle on 3 acres? kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 49 12-29-2018 09:38 AM
Miniature Cattle anyone? mongoose Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 34 03-11-2017 12:22 PM
Any Cattle Ranchers out there? JoeInSTL Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 29 01-18-2017 08:48 PM
Cattle Bribes/Treats alanthecat Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 10-28-2014 04:58 AM
Cattle Question Mominator Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 02-16-2013 04:22 PM
Investing in Cattle The Business Financial Forum 28 01-18-2012 04:09 PM
anyone raise cattle gunman4444 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 16 10-09-2011 11:03 PM
Cattle HAILEGAR Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 14 03-21-2009 06:33 PM

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,921 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtater View Post
I can attest that the Dexter's are very easy to handle. You can milk them, eat them, and if shtf use them as oxen. You can easily breed up or down in size with the Dexter's. Which makes it nice, if your wanting bigger or smaller just pick your bull.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Many on these boards underestimate the usefulness of cattle and overestimate the difficulties of having them. For those with enough land they are great stock and quite versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyme2bprepped View Post
It's been years since I started this thread, and I still love our Dexters even though they are bigger than goats. Grass fed Dexter beef is excellent, better than any beef I've ever bought from the store. One sacrificed animal lasts a very long time. They are very mild mannered for the most part. Castration of a bull calf proved difficult, mostly trying to catch him. After he was caught he was ok to deal with, and we're newbs still.

Try to get them without horns or they may learn to wreak havoc on a fence.
I have found that any really/genuinely grass fed beef is a lot better than anything you will buy from a store. It makes me think that what is sold in stores as "grass fed" is probably fake.

Agreed on having polled cattle. That is particularly important for people with limited handling infrastructure (ie yards, crush, headbale etc) and experience - it is the horns that can really hurt you....
It is also important to not accept bad temperament. If you notice bad behaviour from an animal a few times, it is best to get rid of that one and get (or breed) a better behaved replacement. That is the only way to end up with a good herd.

Over the more than twenty years we have been running breeding cattle, we have progressively produced cattle with better temperament. My current bull frequently walks up to me so I can rub his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
I am thinking about cross fencing my place and am looking at MINI- BREEDS OF CATTLE reason being some of them are not much bigger than very large goats and maybe even crossbreeding them some the ones I like are Dexter , Scottish Highland , ZEBU , low line Angus , Hereford and Belted Galloway. I may try and find a dairy farm that uses Jerseys I know a lot of them breed their first calf heifers to small Angus bulls and Bottle raise some heifer calves. My reason being is smaller cattle do less damage to the land and from what I have read these breeds are great foragers and do well as grass fed beef. And in a SHTF butchering a weaned calf would have less waste in warm months. And each of these breeds bring something unique to the table as well. Just something I am thinking about. I like goat meat , lamb as well has chicken , but i really like beef.
Not sure if mini cattle do that much less damage to land. Their hooves are in proportion with their weight so exert about the same ground pressure. Goats and sheep are probably harder on land (despite being individually smaller). Bear in mind that mini cattle breeds (and their crosses) are almost entirely traded in a different market to commercial breeds. That market relies upon private sales, a boutique meat market and self consumption. If you are OK with that then your plan sounds good.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post: