Survivalist Forum banner

Survival, hiking, and camping gear and outdoor tips!

11K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  MyFirstAidBox 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a good item for survival, hiking, or camping? For a few examples so far, I've got.....
-magnesium firestarter (Own one)
-waterproof matches (Own them)
-a box of strike anywhere matches (Need to find some)
-Coleman 533 dual fuel camping stove (Will buy one soon)
-Buck 110 folding knife (I own one)
-Victorinox Fireman folding knife (I own one)

Just post what you have, have had, or want to buy. You can even include foods, packs, satchel bags, canteens, or whatever else you can think of. Just give your ideas and tips on ANYTHING about survival, hiking, or camping. Post Vids!

#2 ·
Things I've found useful, in my years of expirience (More than most adults! :p)

- Soda Can "Alcohol Stove", Lightweight - Cheap for Stove itself, Fuel is cheap aswell.
- A good, quality Fixed blade knife - Your most Usefull tool in the wilderness.
- A good, quality Hatchet/Tomahawk/Axe - This is useful for many purposes, but most of all, cutting large timber for a fire.
- A poncho - Can be used to create a shelter, Can be used to block rain.
- A machete - Can be used to cut Light to Medium Timber, Defense Weapon.
- A Slingshot - Can be used to hunt game.
- A Bow (My Personal Favorite) - Quiet, Can be used to hunt game, and self defense. I personally, just like to carry a bow, it makes me feel like a Courier De Bois.
- A rifle (Sorry, you Non Americans! :p) - Can be used for Protection, and catch game.
- A small (Childs) Fishing Rod - Can be used to catch food, I have one in my pack, depending on where I am hiking/Camping.
- A Fer. Rod - Can be used in any weather condition to start fire, very useful.
- Charcloth - A very easy to make tinder, catches a spark -very- easilly.
- 550 Paracord - One of the most useful Cords on the planet. (I don't have any. D: My parents refuse to buy offline, unless I give them money to do it!)
- Wire - Can be used to Make Shelters, and Catch game. If snaring a creature, check the snare often. If a creature is found, dispatch the creature quickly, to be more humane.
- Condom - For water, turnecate (SP) I don't carry one... it seems odd, Lofty Wiseman suggests it though!

#3 ·
I'd add a couple of bandanas to the list. Handkerchief, neck cloth, head cloth, head band, wash cloth, towel, restrictive band, triangle bandage, pressure bandage, and more that I've thought of before but can't remember.

#7 ·
I like the basic hobo stoves, easy to make and light to carry and no worries about fuel as you can burn anything in them.

Boots. Get the best most comfortable boots and socks you can . It makes it so much easier when you have to walk any where.
can make the difference between surviving and not at the end of the day.

#9 ·
A signal mirror. Small battery operated commercial radio, glow or chemical sticks, led flash light.
Hexamine tablets, good fire starters or could be used by themselves as they are smokeless and almost odourless.

Reactions: Tristar777
#11 ·
I have used them for cooking in a pot, pan or paniken. Would not use it like a char grill BBQ, could be toxic and will taint the taste of the food.
Also keep hex. tablets dry as they have been Known to dissolve in water. Haven't seen it myself but that is the scuttlebut.

Reactions: Tristar777
#13 ·
Survival

A half a dozen ways to start a fire that does not involve a match or a lighter (I have a lens, gunpowder, fire stick, flint, per pot, can make and use a bow and drill... also have dryer lint, cotton with petroleum jelly, char cloth.) Fire is essential to survival. One cannot have enough ways to make a fire in all weather conditions.

Four ways to sterilize water that does not include boiling. Water is essential to survival.

One piece carbon bush knife, drop point, folding stainless for backup

Shelter

Pan

if you have more room:

Hatchet
fishing gear
snaring gear
cup
salt, pepper

More room

Rifle
Ammo
Extra set of clothes
medical kit

#15 ·
The heximine tablet can be a little difficult to light at times, if you break a bit off it is easier to light. Please store carefully as in powder form if crushed it can be explosive under certain conditions.

#16 ·
I do know that here down south, in the US, pine trees are AWESOME for their dead straw, and pitch. If you fluff up a small heap of pine straw, and put just a few small chunks of pine pitch on the heap, then light it, the pitch will start to melt and the natural oils and flammable properties of the pitch can light a heap of kindling on fire in no time!

#17 ·
I have spent many years travelling on foot around Australia with my pack donkeys. I do carry a gas stove, but for lightness when I am on my own I just carry some supermarket fire lighters. If you need to, it is quick and easy to cook a cup of two-minute noodles just with a firelighter in a small hole dug in the ground and your metal mug. One fire lighter can boil a mug of water for coffee, soup or the noodles.
Cheers,
Rowan

#18 ·
Diamond strike-a-light firestarters work pretty good for getting a good fire going, but my all time favorite, is my homemade firestarter. It consists of 1/2 of a toilet paper roll, with woodchips and candle wax poured in it. When you're ready to light it, peel back the edge of the roll and light it. They last for over 5 minutes. I need to post a video about them when I have the time to do so.

#21 ·
i tend to pack as light as possible and use items that have more than one use. i usually bring a light but sturdy pack with double stitched straps, a blast match magnesium fire starter, a machete, cold steel sheath knife and sharpening stone, military 100 mph tape wrapped around a lighter, 550 cord, compass, extra socks, first aid kit, a good map, ammo and water and extra socks and a couple stripped down military rations. doesent sound like much and it aint, but it is the essentials and i have found it covers most all normal hunting situations. granted terrain and climate dictate necessities, so tailor accordingly.

#26 ·
There are umpteen different fire starting toys...er...um...I mean tools! ;) available out there. I would strongly suggest you try out whatever you want to bring at home in the yard first- in the WORST conditions possible!!. Some are a lot easier to use than others! They might be very frustrating under stressful times in the wilderness, when your dexterity might be limited due to extreme weather or injury.

While I think it's great to have several firestarting methods available, make sure you can use them easily!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.