Are there any batteries rechargable (AA) that can be stored for many year?? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-27-2020, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,265 Times in 3,083 Posts
Default Are there any batteries rechargable (AA) that can be stored for many year??

Advertise Here

The little solar power garden lights would be fine for what I want, better than a candle. So are there any rechargable AA batteries that will still be viable if kept in storage for 10 maybe 20 years before being put to work.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 08:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,740 Times in 1,144 Posts

I don't know about 10 - 20 but there are a lot of posts talking about rechargeable Eneloops being a good brand: https://www.google.com/search?q=enel...hrome&ie=UTF-8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 12:59 PM
IRON ON COURAGE

Thanked 4,574 Times in 2,412 Posts

I just found some new old stock lithium ion batteries for a Motorola radio that were manufactured sometime in 2007 and though they needed a hefty recharge, seem to have survived storage for 12 or 13 years unscathed.

On the other hand, NICD and NIMH batteries for same model radio do not seem to survive storage at all.

It really comes down to what you want to power and why. AA primary batteries are plentiful . I would avoid Duracell however as they seem to leak horribly since they cheapened them, removed mercury etc,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 02:25 PM

If you mean, put in storage and usable without having to charge them after that long, the only hope would be LiIon. You wouldn't want to depend on them still having a charge, but the chances would be better than other types. Of course, they don't come in AA; there's a 14500 cell that's the same physical size as AA, but of course the voltage is much higher, so not interchangeable.

If you mean, put in long-term storage and have them still be chargeable and functional, add NiCd to the list. They degrade less than NiMH when unused in long-term storage. I have NiMH AA's over 20 years old and still functional, but they've been used and recharged at least a couple times a year for most of that time.

For NiCd and NiMH, use only a good microprocessor-controlled charger; chargers that use a simple timed charge cycle kill batteries fast, sometimes after only a few charges. And don't use fast chargers unless you really, really need charged batteries fast, and badly enough that you're willing to severely shorten the batteries' lifespan to get them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backwoodsman7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 02:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,740 Times in 1,144 Posts

@backwoodsman7 "use only a good microprocessor-controlled charger", recommendation?
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Trapper

I have AA Eneloops that I bought in 2008. They still work fine. Every few years I top off the ones I don't regularly use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gorn5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 04:33 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
I have AA Eneloops that I bought in 2008. They still work fine. Every few years I top off the ones I don't regularly use.
yep, eneloops for the win. They outlasted the cheap energizer rechargeables by a long shot.

I'm curious about these:
https://batteryguy.com/nickel-metal-...-1600nmft.html
The Following User Says Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,721 Posts

If you look up the Australian air battery, it is an aluminum air battery with a carbon layer making it a rechargable battery.

They are supposed to come dry and will last forever and when you want to use it you add an electrolyte. Salt water makes it work but isnt rechargable, alkaline or acid makes it rechargable.

I dont know if they are being manufactured on a large scale yet but it may be worth a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,065 Times in 8,765 Posts

Eneloop is recognized as the best rechargeable battery on the market.

I have Eneloop AA & 18650's that are about 10 years old that still recharge well.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,065 Times in 8,765 Posts

Deleted double post
Old 05-27-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Mjolnir View Post
@backwoodsman7 "use only a good microprocessor-controlled charger", recommendation?
What you want is one that monitors each cell and stops charging when it's fully charged. I'm not familiar with a lot of what's on the market now, but the most recent one I bought is a LiitoKala Lii-500. It does LiIon as well as NiMH/NiCd, can test cell capacity, and will work as a battery bank to charge phone, flashlight, etc. I see they have some newer models now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
You'll want to test the capacity of the ones you don't use occasionally, just to make sure they'll have it when you need them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backwoodsman7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,812 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I just found some new old stock lithium ion batteries for a Motorola radio that were manufactured sometime in 2007 and though they needed a hefty recharge, seem to have survived storage for 12 or 13 years unscathed.

On the other hand, NICD and NIMH batteries for same model radio do not seem to survive storage at all.

It really comes down to what you want to power and why. AA primary batteries are plentiful . I would avoid Duracell however as they seem to leak horribly since they cheapened them, removed mercury etc,

Do you know when che changed the formula on duracell? I pulled some out of a tape recorder that was on my unheated/cooled porch for a few years. They expired in 2002 and no leaks. I would say 18yrs past expiration is pretty darn good esp in an unconditioned space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:29 AM
Survivor

XTAR makes a decent charger. My VC4 does 4 calls and charges almost any cell they sell. AAAA-D and lithium. It also shows cell voltage and MA input.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 AM
Survivor

I should have explained This is for a cache, so who knows how long it will be there, and there will be no maintenance charging. Looks like I might just do a variety of several types. I had hoped I could charge it with just the solar on the garden light, but using a sophistacated charger could be a possibility. Maybe I'll even put some non rechges in. All in individual packaging to keep leaks from spreading.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Lithium are supoto have a nice shelf life but there not rechargable and very expensive.

I dont think checking on your cache every few years is a bad idea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 PM
Survivor

Grass covers the soil disturbance. That takes a few years in our climate.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:34 PM
Survivor

Grow the grass on a piece of PT plywood. Lift off then dig.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,951 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
Lithium are supoto have a nice shelf life but there not rechargable and very expensive.

I dont think checking on your cache every few years is a bad idea.
I thought Li ion (AA's) weren't rechargeable either, until today. For fun I went on Amazon and sure enough they are now carrying them. They are quite expensive though.

https://www.amazon.com/VD-U4XU-O06R-...73&sr=8-5&th=1

Also here is an article that mentions the Li ion rechargeable batteries and it was updated on Jan 2020. So I'm guessing the technology is really new.

https://reactual.com/portable-electr...ies-exist.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Trapper

I have 8 AA Li Ion rechargeables that I bought to test. The put out 1.5v and have been working great so far. They recharge fast and even work in Blink cameras that require standard AA lithium batteries. They each have a micro USB charge port and came with a 4 head cable. They are expensive but I got a great deal with a coupon and ended up paying just over a dollar for each of them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gorn5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:07 PM
IRON ON COURAGE

Thanked 4,574 Times in 2,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
Do you know when che changed the formula on duracell? I pulled some out of a tape recorder that was on my unheated/cooled porch for a few years. They expired in 2002 and no leaks. I would say 18yrs past expiration is pretty darn good esp in an unconditioned space.
In the past 10 years or so, the formula has changed. I was told it was to remove mercury. I also noticed that cells were being made in China.

I no longer swear by Duracell. I have had a slew of devices wrecked because the batteries leaked. Even had furniture damaged because I removed two batteries before storing the device and the cells had the audacity to leak on their own.