Kerosene storage - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 09-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Midwest Born

Thanked 1,004 Times in 447 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
Try the metal cans instead. The smaller one has a plastic lid but it may seal better than a plastic can. Metal lids were available and would be better.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...kerosene-5-gal
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunnyside...01G1/166931255

Or buy the metal NATO-spec German style fuel cans (not the cheap ones) and store it in them. They seal really well.

If using in a kerosene heater buy an offset funnel for filling the tank. Find one that sits in place without needing to hold it. Much easier.
Or use a small pump or siphon.
i have a couple of those little kegs from TSC, they hold really well. i have had issues in plastic, it just doesn't hold. if they don't have them in stock, they can normally order them.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 12:36 AM
Prepared

Ok ive decided to store the kerosene outside.

Would be ok to store them in Rubbermaid totes with a cover?
Old 09-19-2020, 10:34 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastforme View Post
Ok ive decided to store the kerosene outside.

Would be ok to store them in Rubbermaid totes with a cover?
I don't know. Kerosene is really stable so the fuel itself should be fine.
You would want to store them in the shade. IIRC Scott had trouble in the Antarctic because some of his kerosene at supply dumps boiled away in the sunshine.
The only other problem is the plastic, both the totes and the containers. Will it get brittle at low temperatures and crack?
Just guessing, not sure on any of this.
The Following User Says Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 05:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
I don't know. Kerosene is really stable so the fuel itself should be fine.
You would want to store them in the shade. IIRC Scott had trouble in the Antarctic because some his kerosene at supply dumps boiled away in the sunshine.
The only other problem is the plastic, both the totes and the containers. Will it get brittle at low temperatures and crack?
Just guessing, not sure on any of this.
Yup.

An excerpt bellow from: What went wrong for Captain Scott and his team to die on the way back from the South Pole?

https://coolantarctica.com/Antarctic...th-reasons.php

"The food carried on expeditions is low in water to save weight, water is easily added at mealtimes by melting snow and ice, though heating all that food, snow and ice from well below freezing to boiling point for cooking and hot drinks takes a lot of fuel. Fuel for cooking is therefore almost as important as food in polar environments.

The standard expedition cooking equipment at the time of Scott's expedition (and still frequently used today) was the Primus stove, fuelled by kerosene (paraffin, Scott simply refers to it as oil) and pre-heated with methylated spirits. Primus stoves are efficient and more importantly than anything else, dependable, especially in extreme environments. There is an issue however in that the kerosene fuel undergoes a somewhat odd process called "creep", slowly flowing up and over containers. This happens to a greater degree in very cold environments to the point where kerosene can flow up the inside of a can and out through the tightly screwed on cap. Also, if the can is heated by the sun during the day, this produces kerosene vapour at the top of the can which escapes more easily.

Found store in order except shortage oil - shall have to be very saving with fuel

Scott's diary Feb 24th 1912

From this date onwards, Scott's party had less fuel at each depot than they had expected due to losses which limited the degree to which they were able to warm up with hot food and drinks and also raise the temperature in the tent. Some of the food will have had to be eaten cold, perhaps even part frozen. The lack of ability to melt snow and ice will also have led to dehydration which reduces physical efficiency"

Scott is assumed to have perished March 29th, just over a month after his notation of oil shortages.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,195 Times in 8,794 Posts

If there is a small airport around your area, they often have JET A type kerosene.
Which is refined better than normal kerosene & burns clean/low-odor - bright.
Usually priced under $6 per gallon.
I buy a 5 gallon can full about every 3rd or 4th time visiting our plane hanger.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:18 PM
Prepared

Check with the propane route delivery companies. Sometimes they have bulk kerosene.

I got the overly expensive kerosene from home depot in 5gal steel cans. When I finally located a pump source, I refilled the steel cans.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thequintessentialman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 05:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
If there is a small airport around your area, they often have JET A type kerosene.
Which is refined better than normal kerosene & burns clean/low-odor - bright.
Usually priced under $6 per gallon.
I buy a 5 gallon can full about every 3rd or 4th time visiting our plane hanger.
There's a small airport (fixed/rotary) rite near our gun club.

Question tho- Can you just fill up fuel cans & charge it??

Wouldn't they have some type of standard security a non-plane/copter owner would have to clear?? Curious on the how to's & such.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 PM
Prepared

What about burning 1k kerosene, even with a window cracked. Some say no odor some say it stinks when it is supposed to be "clean burning". Wondering of certain batches have more odor than others
Old 09-23-2020, 12:37 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,195 Times in 8,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post

Wouldn't they have some type of standard security a non-plane/copter owner would have to clear?? Curious on the how to's & such.

Thanks!
Just walk in & ask.
you cannot just fill your cans yourself, pumps are locked down.
They will normally have one of their grunts fill cans for you.
They take credit / debit cards.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:14 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 157,304 Times in 45,568 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post

Thanks!
It depends on where. Locally, they refuse to fill cans. I prefer to run avgas my ultralight rather than the ethanol crap from the pumps. But they will not sell it to me.

Apparently it's been like that for a long time. A friend of mine who him and his family used to drag race back when I was a teen couldn't buy their fuel there either. They either had to buy high dollar racing fuel from the speed shop, or mix up their own using pump gas.

I'd be hesitant on the jet fuel anyway. FAA regulations require it to have an anti icing additive and an anti corrosion additive. I doubt you'd want to burn either indoors.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: