Survivalist Forum banner

Load Bearing Harness/Chest Rig Hybrid

31K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Beargrim 
#1 ·
lately I've been thinking about the gear I have and what I want to accomplish with it. I have always wanted to utilize as much space on my person, without having an armor plate carrier or any sort of vest that constructs body movement greatly, and have found my current set up is not accomplishing this.

Some time ago before I purchased any gear at all, I had seen and admired the SADF pattern 70 webbing:

However there are some problems with this which needed to be addressed:

The material is a thick canvas which soaks up water and increases the weight of the webbing 2x when wheat
All the hardware is metal, which is subject to rust as is seen in one of the photos, rust stained canvas
Only fits FAL magazines
Does not accommodate modern gear such as Camelbaks

And on top of that it's no longer produced so it's more of a collectors item then anything else and would be a shame to modify to fit my needs

The biggest focus in all this is also to fit my SADF chest rig onto the front and have it mount in place with some quick release buckles:

What the Pattern 70 does right is as such in my book:

Modular, allows user to customize per his use
Eliminates excess strap interference
patrol pack clips onto harness

Keep in mind, although the picture looks like a tangled mess of straps, the SADF Pattern 70 set up does not have separate shoulder straps for the patrol pack, it hooks on to D-rings on the suspender set shoulder straps with clips, as demonstrated here:

So here's my solution for modernizing this gear scheme:

Enhanced Load Bearing Vest Shoulder straps:

Ares Armor Raider Padded MOLLE belt

CFP-90 Patrol Pack:

(Still looking for stand in for the kidney pouches, buttpacks are simply too large)

As for belt ammunition carriers aside from the chest rig if needed:

and possibly some pistol mag pouches

There are also mounting points on the patrol pack for ALICE components.

This is not a finished concept but it's what I have so far.

I need to add in a med kit, dump pouch, and a few other items.

If anyone has any suggestions on things I need to add in or a better component to use, please let me know, It'd be very much appreciated.

See less See more
1 9
#5 ·
Buttpack is too large? There's several brands/sizes out there.

Two SAW pouches should fit the bill.

You using canteens or bladder?

But if you want vest/lbe/war belt info, check out the zombie site or ar15 site.

People here want you to look like a Gray man or a bum with vomit drooling out mouth.

#6 ·
For the kidney pouches, I have a couple of thoughts. You could, as was suggested, use SAW pouches. The 200 round ones are a good size, large but not too much to be unmanageable. Another option would be the 2 qt canteen cover.

As you can see here, they are large enough to be used in creative ways.

For the pack, I'd consider swapping the CFP-90 patrol pack with either the second generation MOLLE patrol pack or the current assault pack.

The assault pack is on the left.

The MOLLE webbing on these gives you more options over the CFP-90 patrol pack.

You can actually attach the sustainment pouches to these packs, along with the MOLLE waistpack, giving you a very spacious, yet compact pack.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input, I've been eyeing those SAW pouches and I think that's the way I'll go. Do you know if the MOLLE versions have the same stiff plastic as the ALICE ones, like the M16 triple mag pouches?

In terms of the CFP-90 patrol pack though, that currently pairs with my CFP-90 main pack and I've had a MOLLE II patrol pack before; ended up selling it because the rounded packpack shape just doesn't appeal to me.

This is really more of a patrol set up rather then a base camp type deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.