Survivalist Forum banner

? load bearing vest/level III

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rob68 
#1 ·
Recently I came upon a great deal. Our SWAT team was getting new level III vests. I picked up one of the old ones. The only terms I have seen used are ALICE or MOLLE. This is neither. It has snaps. They are spaced every few inches on the vest. It had a double mag pouch for 9mm. (our issued gun is a Glock 19) Radio pouch. (This holds a couple of AR15 mags perfect), a true mag pouch, and 2 other small pockets/pouches that will carry small first aid or something similar in size.
I am looking to design to my specs. However all I can find is MOLLE type accesories. What is the name for this old load bearing method. Where can I get accessories to work with this? Thanks jkc (Kevin):thumb:

#2 ·
What up yo!

Lots of companies made different rigs for SWAT LBV's: Point Blank was the big one in the 80's as they had LAPD and FBI contracts and PACA, Safariland and others used the snaps, WWII eyelets, fastex, velcro and the bianchi hook system which is expensive and a little more bulky. These guys have some good vests left over from Eagle. Still the best vest you can get, just not molle compatible.

http://nctactical.com/cart/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=4

The TAC V3 Detachable is prolly good for you but they are spendy. I have a LB harness with the detachable shotgun and utility panels so I could save you a few bucks but I never liked it. I do have the panels w/ silent Bianchi Hook in black, though.

I am really liking this rig. Holds everything I need and I can drap it over my armor if I need to. The pouches are perfect for lots of stuff. I normally just carry a couple mags and my other stuff, including pistol w/light, water, chow, maps, FAK and a knife. Or you can adapt it just for ammo. Smokin deal.

http://nctactical.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=43

#3 ·
What do you mean by "snaps"? Could you post a picture.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing...

MOLLE is the new system where the vest has horizontal rows of straps, and the the pouches have similar rows of straps as well as a vertical "tongue" strap that you weave in and out of the rows to lock the pouch in place. Sometimes this tongue strap has a snap at the end to secure it.

ALICE used metal clips to hook pouches to "belts" of webbing sewn to gear. It also included grommets that allowed the use of the WWII style wire hooks (that look like a giant office staple that's already been bent into a curvy 'C').

I don't really know of any official US military attachment systems that existed between these two. What you have sounds proprietary.

#5 ·
Just visited the site. Yup that is what I have. The radio pouch is exactly what I have. I wish I could see the back and make sure their are snaps. I think this is good. Pretty pricy sad to say. Thanks. Possibly somebody will have a cheeper source. If not at least I found them. Thanks Kevin

#6 ·
It appears that he already has a vest and is looking for attachments to add to his existing vest. While the only vests that I am familiar with are molle compatible, I did come across a non molle setup and modified the molle pouches to attach to the non molle item (read zipties) and no major issues as long as they are tight. Not sure of what type of vest you have so this is probably of little use to you. Maybe pics of the vest will allow someone else to help better?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.