Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 5,142 Times in 1,382 Posts
Default Firearms requirements

Advertise Here

Since the topic has come up about firearms in the UK, I was hoping someone from over there that owns them answer some basic firearms questions. I'm certainly not trying to rile anyone up or have a laws there vs. here in America discussion. I don't want to get into any sort of political discussion with this. I'm really curious about this and would appreciate your input from over there.

1: What are the licensing conditions to obtain a firearm for the average citizen? Do you have to renew the license? When you pass on what happens to the firearms?

2: What types of firearms are you limited to?

3: Is there a limit on how many firearms you can own?

4: What is the requirement to purchase ammunition there. Is there a limit on how much or type ammo you can have?

5: What are the storage requirements of the firearms/ammunition? Can you keep them loaded in your home etc?

6: Since firearms seem to be heavily restricted can the police enter your residence absent a search warrant to check them or verify how they are being stored?

7: What are the requirements for travelling i.e. to go hunting or target practicing?

8: Can you shoot anytime you wish on your own land or public lands without permission?

10: Since I'm asking about the UK in general am I correct to assume the firearms requirements are different in Scotland, England, Ireland or do each country have their own varied set of laws?

11: Can you travel say from England to Ireland or Scotland to go hunting?

12: If you get stopped by the police do you have to declare them?

13: Is there anyway to obtain a concealed carry permit there for the common citizen?

14: If you are shooting the firearm can you allow your say your kids to use the firearm even though not licensed but in your presence?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,375 Times in 6,645 Posts

https://assets.publishing.service.go...l_2016_v20.pdf

enjoy
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanks, I think..... Gesh that's a long read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,375 Times in 6,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Thanks, I think..... Gesh that's a long read.
it was constructed by multiple committees to please a monarch and acted on by beurocrats in far flung reached brevity and clarity are a detriment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 01:56 PM
Trapper

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

shotguns to start with

really crude basic ideals run like this
two shot or three shot semi. its a right you can own one,but unlike the states we only like sane people to have them. so doctors letter to say your not depressed or psyco or a nutter. you get a police interview, why do you want the shotgun, what are you going to use it for, where are you going to keep it and how is it going to be kept secure from the bad guys and loonies

self defence is not an answer in fact say that and you will deffinatley never own one, clay target is common, you cant say hunting unlessyou have written permission from a land owner to shoot over their land, as for security, no of this americian hide the shotgun in the vehicle cab or behind the door or on the fireplace, blooming big gun vault bolted to the floor, built to a set minium standard,

but as long as you not americian gung ho its a given you can get a license to own one. after that its a fee and a wait for the license then off to the gun shop to get what ever you want. i can buy a single barreled shot gun for $5 or a hand crafted master piece for $1M as for ammo, as much as you want, any size of shape as long as theres more than six pellets in the cartridge, i know several full time clay shooters that oftyen have 3,000 plus cartridges at home

its not that simple but basics, police check, secure lockable box and a good reason to own one and a fee every three years and your good to go

shot gun with more than three shells in it, or a shotgun shooting slugs, our variant of hand guns ( silly overly long things) and rifles you need a fire arms ticket, all of that is bolt action, we dont do semi larger than .22

its dead easy ( NOT!!!!!) to own a fire arm, you need to have somewhere safe to shoot it, somewhere safe to lock it up and a bloody good reason to own it. if you do get a fire arms licence its going to have a fixed size calibre and weapon and ammo amount, say .22lr and 500rn say you buy a varmit and want to get a different rifle, well as you only have permission for one you have to take one off and put the other one on

its also alot more checks before they give you permission, its not a right, its a hard won privilege.

now thats the main two, a sane person with a reason to own one,, safe security and safe place to shoot it.

now there is a third license a section 5, this is unicorn terrortory, lol its more designed for bussnesses that individuals, but own a section five and in the uk you can own any thing you want, full auto 7.62, short barreled hand guns and so forth, iys more designed that as a company say BSA making army weapons or Accuracy international and there stunning .338 lapua, they make and sell full sized auto and semi weapons. but its all under massive paperwork and a lot of eyes.

in the uk as a whole tip to bottom and side to side, IN THE WHOLE OF THE UK get the idea, 7,000 short barrel hand guns legally licensed, christ theres more than that in a grandmas gun shelf in the farm in texas, seriously thats it 7,000, to ownone you would be ex service, ex forces or under a high risk ortarget, 30 years in the USMC would not be enough to warrent one, 30 years intelligence or the like would.

theres one other pointer with the uk license, hard to get and extreamly easy to lose, get nicked drink driving its gone, get arrested and charged for pretty well any thing and its gone, "accidentally" lose one just incase, and world you in becomes a nightmare, bob the thief gets into your house and breaks one out of the steel box, your license is gone. lose it out of your car as you stopped for a leak at the service station and you did not take half of it with you its your problem to explain.

theres a couple of good sides though

buy a canon, as long at the barrel is less than 2" in diamter and longer inside than 30" its technically a shotgun, just make sure to load six shots into it at a time and somewhere safe to lock it up and yes on your basic shotgun ticket its allowed

we also cant do gun ranges and to hire weapons either, its a bring your own, or be a member of that gun club and use the clubs weapons

yes you can get it back but its a bloody expensive and hard won fight to do so
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hedgerowpete For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 04:57 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,660 Times in 605 Posts

Thanks Pete. Re-enactors can get licences for muskets etc., don't know the rules.

Didn't realise that depression prevents getting a shotgun. So saying, I did know a neighbour who blew his brains out with his legal gun. So probably fair enough.

I have seen people fly from England to Scotland with rifles to go deer-stalking.

Ireland is different to Northern Ireland, but then I guess you knew that. The rules in the Republic seem to be about the same as in UK.

I've never been stopped by the police, in 57 years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Basket of deplorables

Hedgerowpete, I really appreciate the response. I was really hoping someone that lives over there would be able to respond. I find it interesting how other countries that allow citizen owned firearms choose to regulate them. Do you find it that often there is too much red tape to go through to get the firearm that the average person with interest stops there? How do most land owners feel about giving folks permission in the first place to come shoot on their lands? If you don't mind I would like to morph this a little into some hunting questions over there too?
Old 02-08-2020, 06:26 AM
Hunter

I live farther North than HP, in the largest county in England. Luckily for me in a very rural heavily farmed county with many very large shooting estates. It is very easy in my Police Force area to get permission to obtain shotguns or firearms fairly quickly. Other Forces and areas it can be harder to get the necessary or there can be more red tape and applications can take a long while to process.
As Pete said grant of a licence will not be given for the purpose of self-defense. When applying and stating why you wish to acquire any gun, usually you put – control of vermin, deer, fox control, clay pigeon shooting, member of gun club etc.
I grew up on an isolated farm and was brought up a prepper without even realising it. My Father always had at least 30 guns at any one time and was an avid shooting man. I myself have only into the ‘teens’ of guns of varied gauges and calibres. Hmmm, seems I’m lacking. Note to self ‘must buy more guns’.
I go out shooting on my friend’s isolated farm in the hills, 20-ish miles away every week, at least once a week and often more.
Last Tuesday night when I went up there I had my Benelli M90, 8 shot semi auto 12 gauge with me and my Winchester 9422 with suppressor and a Pulsar XD 50 thermal sight fitted on it. 12 was for crow flight shooting before dark. Winchester for fox after dark.
I sometimes get invited all over to either control vermin, or deer and now and again on a pheasant or partridge shoot driven day on estates round about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sly Raker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Basket of deplorables

Sly Raker,

Thanks a lot for the response! Since it sounds like you do a lot of hunting what's the requirements over there for say Deer vs. Waterfowl and the like? I'm assuming you must first obtain a hunting license but after that do you have to have separate tags for different animals? Here unless it's an open season on say feral hogs and others they are trying to eradicate we have to purchase separate tags. Generally if you are out of state the prices can get very expensive. On top of that you generally need to carry a letter from the land owner (Not all places) giving you permission to hunt the land if a Game Warden requests it. When you take a deer you are supposed to get a GPS coordinate for the location of the kill or the closest land marks. Some places require you to bring the animal with your tag to have them inspected. Others allow for a phone call when you fill the tag. Curious to hear what your requirements for licensing etc are and if there are any similarities?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:19 AM
Hunter

Hi 4x4
Game licences were abolished perhaps 10 years ago in the UK.
To go out and shoot a deer all you need is the land owner’s permission, when you apply for a licence over here you have to specify what each gun is required for and where said weapon(s) will be used, this applies to all weapons you apply for or hold on your ticket (licence).
Now if I put down my guns are required for vermin and fox control, game and deer stalking, fine this covers all.
But if I put down my weapons will be used on my friend’s farm i.e.
The land of: MR. A.N. Other
The High Chaparral Farm
Hill Top
Yorkshire
Then the Police will put that on my licence and that will be the only place I can then shoot my guns.
So in order to circumvent this (totally legal and acceptable) after putting the address of the farm I also put:
“And other suitable lands by lease or permission”.
By adding this sentence I then get what is called an open licence, this then doesn’t restrict me to any land meaning I can shoot on any land throughout the country where I have a lease or permission.
When a shot deer then lands at the game dealers it is then tagged, or given a ticket and a record is taken of who shot it and on what land.
As for duck shooting, pheasant, partridge almost everything, again all you just have is the permission of the land owner, that’s about all.
Last year Natural England, an organisation that is supposed to support the countryside was pressured by an idiot television presenter who is an avid anti shooter kill anything dork who caused a stir and managed to get a ban on the shooting trapping etc of many species of bird vermin, this got the whole country up in arms and we had to apply for special licences to shoot or trap them.
Many people ignored this, I did not and applied for the whole gamut of licences straight away and got them. These expired end of last year. Don’t know if they are required for this year or not, don’t think they do and don’t care, think it all blew over. Anyway UK-ers correct me if I’m wrong on any of the points above. Anyhow won’t be applying for them again – total farce.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sly Raker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 AM
Basket of deplorables

Since you abolished games licenses do you have limits on how many deer you can take or is that up to the landowner? Can you explain "Game dealers"? Is that like a Game Warden here who is responsible for documenting and the conservation of wild game?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,660 Times in 605 Posts

A Game dealer is someone who sells game, i.e. pheasants, partridge, deer, things like that, and is licensed to do so. The idea is to stop poaching and thereby conserve numbers.

Shooting red deer in Scotland will cost about $800 per stag, because it's a managed sport. You don't get the permission of the landowner without handing over the cash. Others will be able to tell you about lowland deer shooting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM
Trapper

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

i only do shotgun ownership now as i dont bother with firearms, my main reasons for that is i love target shooting but to find a decent range past 200 yards is hard/rare/expensive. I did own several larger calibres but dont any more .308 british and.338 lapua were my favourites, but somewhere to shoot is an issue. i personally used tolive in the rural countryside and had several farms and areas to shoot. we had permission to shoot all pests and were instructed not to shoot the "profitable animals". i used to put a call intot he owner or controller or game keeper the day before, he would then tell me areas to target or areas to stay out of, depending on where the herds or birds were and the shooting schedules. we would also get calls asking for attendance due to increased populations. most of my shooting was rifle only and from .22lr up to .245 , pigeons and rats up to foxes and munjack deer and anything inbetween. i have also had the odd rare but always acted on police call from the local bobbie in regards a large deer that has been involved with a car accident, most times its a stationary animal when you arrive, once we had to go find it first.

as i now live in a city centre i favour a .22 "pellet gun/rifle" or air rifle as they are known here, its sub 12ftlb and my main sport is rat shooting in the city at a waste rubbish skip yard, none of this camo rubbish and ssneaking around in the dark, yellow viz jackets and bright lights and shoot all evening after they finish working, six of us can do 200 plus rats in a night at the one yard, i also do pigeons at a second factory that struggles with them.

i do still shoot rifle and hand gun but do so in either Poland or France, in Poland its a pay as you go gun range and we can shot anything WE CAN AFFORD TO LOAD!! in France its at a friends bequest and he supplies the hand guns and rifles and shot guns. i just pay for ammo and a dinner and wine a lot of wine!!!

its cheaper for me to do that asi dont have land to shoot over and gun clubs and ranges in the midlands are very very snobby and very very expensive and hold long membership application times just to kill off dirty people from joining . if i was able to obtain land owners permission or gain access to a club i might change that but its not worth the hassle

just a mention on depression, go to a doctor in theuk and have or suffer from some but not all mental health issues or have say a nervous break down or the like and your guns and permits go instantly, same if you drive like a complete twat one day going home with road rage and the police hear about it.

we really do only want sane normal people and safe people to won the guns and not the idiots, act like one and its bye bye guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hedgerowpete For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 04:16 AM
Hunter

Around these parts most all the deer stalking is pretty much taken.
Most of the large estates let the stalking out i.e. lease it or it is undertaken by the estate gamekeepers or an estate deer man and then the deer population is properly managed. They are after all another cash crop if effectively managed.
You have to ‘know’ someone or have connections or friends to get a foot in to obtain any deer stalking either that or be very lucky or have plenty of cash!

Luckily I am well known and have connections and have been asked by local landowners or farmers to help or just assist in some deer control where numbers are either high or to help protect crops where some damage has occurred. I also get asked for a lot of vermin control as well.

My friend’s farm in the hills near me is an 800 acre farm completely surrounded by forestry; it only has a 200 yard gap that is not wooded around the whole perimeter of the farm. The North and East side forest is owned by a very large (30,000 + acre) shooting estate and the other two sides W & E are owned by a further 2 large shooting estates, both maybe half this size. Between the 3 estates well over 100,000 pheasants and & 50k partridge are released every year into these forests.

I know I used to be a gamekeeper on the estate to the N & E and when I was there we reared 33k pheasants/year, they rear more now! My ‘beat’ was the 4k acre deer park on the estate and my friends farm is within that, this park was once totally high fenced and stone walled 7 foot high, I managed this with one other keeper, there were 8 gamekeepers on the estate at that time (still prob will be). At present this estate lets the stalking of deer to 2 men. It has an abundance of Fallow and Roe deer in the area. Very very occasionally a Red deer or two.
We only spoke with the gamekeeper in the deer park about four weeks ago and he asked us then to get some deer shot as there are far too many.
So this farm has much game, vermin and wildlife upon it at all times; also has 11 duck flight ponds. Just last week my buddy took 2 Fallow deer off his land to fulfill an order for our friend the game dealer.

Last year I took 4 Fallow bucks + 1 doe and 1 Roe buck on this land. I still have plenty of venison in my freezer as well as much other game meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sly Raker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 07:42 AM
Basket of deplorables

It seems like it's pretty difficult to break into the hunting aspect of shooting sports there in England. I suppose if a person has the desire to do so and makes it known with a shooting club that might help move things along eventually. Maybe we look at it much differently here as it's often a way to help supplement a family's yearly food supply. Do you have parks and the like you can also hunt in? We can hunt in our state/federal/BLM (Bureau of Land Management) parks/land without having to obtain permission as long as you are licensed and have the tag necessary for the type of game you are after if required. Some exceptions would be game preserves or areas that are very highly traveled etc. You can of course hunt your own lands provided you are still licensed and have the tag (Other states I cannot speak for). On the rare occasion you can shoot a predator like a lion or bear etc without permission if it's actively attacking your livestock. After though you have to contact the Game Warden who will come and pick up the animal. Most Indian reservations, they can hunt without any licensing at all but there are inherent problems with that which can come about.

I really appreciate all of your responses as I find it interesting learning about how other countries go about things like that.