Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-23-2019, 08:55 AM
More Equal?

Default Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Advertise Here

The headline on Drudge today is all about how the new Star Wars movie is a bomb and not making any money. Rotten tomatoes has it at 57% by critics, but the audience has it at 86%.

This just goes to show how wrong the media and critics can be.

This movie was nothing less than GREAT. The acting was amazing, the story line was amazing, the CGI and art was GREAT...

The story had so many ups and downs, it had the audience, or at least our family both smiling and crying with joy, over and over again.

You have to see this on the Big Screen, don't wait for it to come out on Netflix or whatever.

I gave it a 95% good/great.
It lost 5% based on a few technical things I saw but WOW what a show.

If you post a reply, try not to include any spoilers.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:00 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,957 Times in 11,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
This movie was nothing less than GREAT.
BS. It was a video game turned into a movie, with each scene merely a different "level" to fight. After 10 previous films, how many new Force powers were introduced in this piece of crap film? The magic of the Force is broken.This review details 34 massive plot holes and contrivances.

Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 49,932 Times in 10,479 Posts

Movie reviews by audience is BS. This is a pile of PC wokeness with absolutely terrible characters. Rey is a worse character than JJB. I simply can not take it seriously when a little teenage girl comes out of nowhere and is saving the galaxy.

Disney versions of Starwars don’t exist as far as I’m concerned. It’s trash.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,622 Times in 9,406 Posts

Haven't seen it. Know enough about it that I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO interest in seeing it nor paying Disney to see it.

I'm so sick and tired of dumb tired old stories, terrible acting, social justice brainwashing, and unoriginal garbage.

SW Fans should boycott. SW IV and V were amazing. VI was good. The remainder prove there are now twice as many bad SW than excellent ones. They have RUINED the franchise.

Boycott it and join me in saying:

NO. THANK. YOU.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:09 PM

My wife and I thought it was great and really enjoyed it for JJ did a great job fixing Johnsons screw ups. Still not as good as the original trilogy, but a solid entry into the franchise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie26 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 03:38 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 59,896 Times in 13,547 Posts
Thumbs up Go see "Richard Jewell" instead

The critics, prestitutes and leftists in general hate it.

Quote:
Richard Jewell succeeds in making it impossible not to see how the ruin of a heroic American's life was the fault of a reckless press and unethical lawmen coming together in something sordid, shameful, even whorish.
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...test_film.html

It's on my list along with "Ford vs. Ferrari".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 11,092 Times in 2,339 Posts

There's already a Rise of Skywalker thread going. Conversation will be predictably the same here and around the web.

SJW's hoping it would be a movie to advance their agenda are disappointed. Sensitive conservatives will pick out something to be offended by and plenty more will complain even though they haven't seen it. No, it didn't have the magic of the originals, but it wasn't a clock watcher for me either.

Ford v Ferrari was really good. Knives out wasn't bad. Midway was somewhat disappointing, but I'm still glad to see such an important time in history remembered. Richard Jewell is next weekend. Gonna be a sad day when Eastwood dies.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,604 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
The headline on Drudge today is all about how the new Star Wars movie is a bomb and not making any money.
I hope they don't provide financial advice, because Rise of the Skywalker is 4th largest opening weekend at $220 million. Bested only by SW episode 7, Avengers Infinity War and Endgame.

I must say JJ Abrams had almost impossible task to deal with Rian Johnson's mess. Result is better than I expected.

I would love if "somebody" would leak to the public the script/notes that Abrams provided to Johnson as guideline for the ep.8.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,326 Times in 1,362 Posts

My son and I went Sunday morning. Theater now quite full plenty of empty seats.

Much better than the last I have a few complaints but I will not post them in regards to those that still want to see it. I would give it a 4 out of 5 maybe 3.5 but not on the entertainment aspects.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,622 Times in 9,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
I hope they don't provide financial advice, because Rise of the Skywalker is 4th largest opening weekend at $220 million. Bested only by SW episode 7, Avengers Infinity War and Endgame.

I must say JJ Abrams had almost impossible task to deal with Rian Johnson's mess. Result is better than I expected.

I would love if "somebody" would leak to the public the script/notes that Abrams provided to Johnson as guideline for the ep.8.
Interesting spin. This is the headline from the Wall Street Journal today, 23 December. Maybe you have a crystal ball or other insights...

These figures are decent but going in a noteworthy WRONG direction. That means less people are interested or excited about it. Success would be MORE, not LESS... Sure, it will probably make money but the trend is less money because less people are interested.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disneys...rs-11577129008

"Disney’s Bad Weekend Won’t Strike Down Star Wars
Disappointing ‘Rise of Skywalker’ debut shows risk of concentration, but is hardly fatal to franchise.

Walt Disney Co. DIS -1.50% ’s stock price fell more than 1% Monday following a disappointing opening for “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.” The latest installment of the popular franchise took in $175.5 million in its first three days, which made it the third-largest December debut ever but also tracked well below the opening weekend take of its two predecessors in the trilogy. Movie theater chains Cinemark Holdings CNK -3.10% and AMC Entertainment Holdings AMC -5.30% also saw their stock prices fall around 3% in morning trading.

Bum reviews seem to have played a role, with “Rise of Skywalker” garnering the lowest Rotten Tomatoes critic score since the much-reviled “Phantom Menace” that hit theaters 20 years ago. However, the movie does seem to be faring better with actual moviegoers. The current audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 86%, which is equal to that of “The Force Awakens”—the highest-grossing movie in the franchise. Disney’s clout has allowed it to secure a four-week run for the movie with exhibitors, which could help Skywalker make up some ground if positive word-of-mouth helps offset poor critical buzz."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:10 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,775 Times in 2,224 Posts

Watched it today with the wife in a Matinee.... We loved it! I've now seen every one of them, so a dozen times. I will not say that I am a critic of the story line, I just like a good action movie with a story line.

I really can't comment much, as I don't want to give anything away.

Note that I am also watching The Mandalorian on the Disney channel and am digging it also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,413 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryan314 View Post
Movie reviews by audience is BS. This is a pile of PC wokeness with absolutely terrible characters. Rey is a worse character than JJB. I simply can not take it seriously when a little teenage girl comes out of nowhere and is saving the galaxy.

Disney versions of Starwars don’t exist as far as I’m concerned. It’s trash.
Not a Greta Thunberg fan? lol. She just recently saved the planet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,413 Times in 3,089 Posts

And I have never watched a Star War movie. I believe the original came out in 77? Was never interested even back then when I did go to movies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:18 PM
More Equal?

Well, it looks like there is a lot of love hate for SW and Disney and PC and and and...
Cool, everyone has an opinion and I'm fine with that.

All this said, we were all well entertained, we laughed, we smiled, we cried, we enjoyed it immensely.

Of course, off topic, The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite movie of all time.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,597 Times in 485 Posts

For me, Star Wars ended with Return of The Jedi. Everything since has been trash. George Lucas took a hot steaming dump on his legacy with the prequels, and Disney took an even larger, hotter, SJW flavored dump on the franchise with this new trilogy. Disney has ruined Star Wars, the MCU, and even Toy Story with their SJW crap, so I'm pretty much done with anything they are involved in.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mast3rBlast3r For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,316 Posts

According to this thread, the pct remains stuck at 86 pct (from 6,000+ to 40,000+ reviews).

https://www.reddit.com/r/HailCorpora...s_the_rise_of/

Even before the movie was released, the cast was asked to give their reactions non-verbally and without spoiling anything:

The Following User Says Thank You to ralfy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:50 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,937 Times in 4,145 Posts

It is a movie, not a documentary, a fiction movie. I go to movies to escape reality for a short time, not to nit pick the crap out of them.

We went to the first show of the day on Sunday in an attempt to avoid the madness and crowds of the later shows. The theater was more full than many of the prime time showings of other big shows.

Was it the best of the series? No. It was far from the worst.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,930 Times in 3,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Haven't seen it. Know enough about it that I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO interest in seeing it nor paying Disney to see it.

I'm so sick and tired of dumb tired old stories, terrible acting, social justice brainwashing, and unoriginal garbage.

SW Fans should boycott. SW IV and V were amazing. VI was good. The remainder prove there are now twice as many bad SW than excellent ones. They have RUINED the franchise.

Boycott it and join me in saying:

NO. THANK. YOU.
I'm One with the Mouse and the Mouse is with me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,957 Times in 11,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
It was far from the worst.
It was the worst. It was even worse than The Last Jedi, which I did not think was possible.

As I said, Ep 9 was a video game turned into a movie. After 10 films, Ep 9 invents new Force powers as a painful contrivance, one after the other. Force teleportation. In the 1977 film, Obi-Wan explained The Force is within all living beings, binding the universe together. The Jedi merely use the existing Force. In this film, one can give their Force energy to another. The token Black guy seemed to have The Force at the end. Force ghosts physically interacting with material universe. The Force can to anything now. Used to be intense training was needed. Now, simply invoke powers as needed. Heal someone? No problem. Levitate yourself? Just say the word.

As the reviewer in the vid pointed out, it was internally contradictory that Palpatine could summon so much Force power to wipe out an entire fleet of lightening, whose girth was equivalent to the cross sectional area of a skyscraper. Yet, Mary Sue was able to entirely block this with a 2" diameter light saber?! The great fiction story has become a total farce.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 08:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,930 Times in 3,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
It was the worst. It was even worse than The Last Jedi, which I did not think was possible.

As I said, Ep 9 was a video game turned into a movie. After 10 films, Ep 9 invents new Force powers as a painful contrivance, one after the other. Force teleportation. In the 1977 film, Obi-Wan explained The Force is within all living beings, binding the universe together. The Jedi merely use the existing Force. In this film, one can give their Force energy to another. The token Black guy seemed to have The Force at the end. Force ghosts physically interacting with material universe. The Force can to anything now. Used to be intense training was needed. Now, simply invoke powers as needed. Heal someone? No problem. Levitate yourself? Just say the word.

As the reviewer in the vid pointed out, it was internally contradictory that Palpatine could summon so much Force power to wipe out an entire fleet of lightening, whose girth was equivalent to the cross sectional area of a skyscraper. Yet, Mary Sue was able to entirely block this with a 2" diameter light saber?! The great fiction story has become a total farce.
These last three movies aren't canon,I won't watch them.

I do love Rogue One and to a much lesser extent Solo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post: