New Cold War? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Funny cold war videos WilliamAshley Manmade and Natural Disasters 24 02-16-2019 10:29 PM
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
cold weather clothing? justin22885 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 134 02-04-2018 06:51 PM
Pat Buchanan warns again, this time about war with Iran. Fonz Political News and Discussion 36 04-27-2017 01:59 PM
Cold War redux rebzilla General Discussion 8 10-06-2016 05:16 PM

Old 03-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,458 Times in 8,146 Posts
Default New Cold War?

Advertise Here

President Trump recently pulled the United States out of a nuclear arms limitation treaty with Russia. Putin had been accused of violating the treaty, so why would the United States stay in the treaty?

All of that is besides the point. What bothers me is we may be facing a new arms race and another Cold War. Then again, was the first Cold War really over?

I know what the history books say, and that is the Cold War was over in the 1990s.

If we are heading towards another Cold War there are a couple of things I suggest we look for:

Doe Run lead smelting plant, or any lead smelting plant. Thanks to the Obama administration we as a nation can no longer take lead ore and smelt it to a usable product. We can take lead and recycle it, but we do not have the ability to take raw lead ore and turn that ore into a usable product.

If the nation needs to gear up for another Cold War, then we need the ability to produce our of lead. This means we should keep an ear to the ground for a lead refinery to open.

Next thing we may want to look for is the military making new orders of small arms ammunition. This means 9mm, 45acp, 223, 7.62 nato... etc. When the government places an order, their order will push civilian production out of the way. The end result is ammo shortages, primer shortages, powder shortages, and price hikes.

I remember back in the 1990s there were long term primer and powder shortages.

My son and I planted:
  • 14 rows of corn
  • 4 rows of potatoes
  • 2 rows of onions

Towards the end of March I will be planting beans, peas, peppers, squash...etc.

To prep for the next Cold War, I am planting a large garden and plan on putting more food up.

Then there are the 14 hens I have in the small chicken house.

Thoughts, suggestions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 22,057 Times in 6,081 Posts

Kev, I live in Florida and our growing season is pretty much all year long. So I am planting tomorrow as a matter of fact. I am planting most of what you said in your post as well as tomatoes, Celery, Herbs, Garlic, Black berries, Strawberries, and peaches. I never thought about the ammo shortages because of Obama buying up all of the ammo a couple of years ago. But that would be a very good indicator of something like this happening. I would also think that we would see activation of military and National guard training more frequently. So the presence would be noticeable. Other than that I have no idea what else to look for.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 12:23 AM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanked 11,617 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Then again, was the first Cold War really over?
I would say "Yes"... I joined the Army in 1986 and was sent to Germany, so I got to see the Cold War up close and personal. The difference between then and now is that the Warsaw Pact no longer exists, and the USSR was broken up. So, the situation that existed then no longer applies now. But what hasn't changed is that Russia proper hasn't forgotten it's former power.

Russia recently annexed the Crimea with surprisingly little pushback from the rest of the world. My fear at the time was that Russia would be emboldened to try and re-annex the Baltic States next. The difference here though is that the Baltic States are NATO members, and if Russia made a move against them then it could trigger a hot war very quickly.

I can see no scenario in which the former Warsaw Pact members would willingly rejoin Russia in an alliance. They were forced into it the first time around, and I cannot see them willingly doing it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
I would also think that we would see activation of military and National guard training more frequently. So the presence would be noticeable.
This would be hard to detect, the National Guard has more or less been on a wartime footing since 2001. It was during the Cold War and Clinton's subsequent "peace dividend" of the '90s that the National Guard really didn't do much.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 12:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,704 Times in 793 Posts

It was called a cold war because it never got hot, as in nuclear. With the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact, and a relatively small economy that is tuned more to consumer convenience than spending 50% of GDP on weapons, Russia isn't much of a threat to the West. Which is why Putin keeps crowing about his "hypersonic" missiles to balance out ABM systems being set up in former Soviet possessions like Poland. Also, advances in spy satellite technology prevent the Russians from staging a serious attack.
I think Trump's just posturing because of the questions about his economic and political connections to Putin. Reminds me of when Nixon felt the need to say "I am not a crook." If a President feels he need to declare that he isn't a crook, he's probably in trouble.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 06:17 AM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,324 Times in 1,590 Posts

It's time to realize that the Russians are conducting an asymmetrical war with us. It's is a Cold War meaning there is no shooting. Syria is a proxy war with them. Their intent is to divide the US and ultimately break NATO. I don't see Russia attacking the homeland but am more worried about someone like Iran with a nuke or a dirty bomb.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 07:05 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,901 Times in 10,144 Posts

The Cold War is welfare for the military industrial complex on all sides. New weapon's systems drive new defensive systems, it's a never ending story of spend more money.

Everyone cheats - only the looser gets caught and vilified. The lame stream media only reports what the NWO/Swamp wants 'people' to believe.

What, there are about 100,000 or so nuke weapons world wide. When was the last one actually used in combat? 1945 BOCKSCAR. What a giant waste of money and materials let alone the damage to the environment to mine and test weapons to scary to continue to use.

Did we learn anything for 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima - maybe.

How many millions of people have we killed to hold back Communism and now they are running for President. How many millions were killed by the Communist to enforce Communism? How many successful Communist states are there?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 01:31 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 63,230 Times in 8,965 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

The Cold War that started shortly after the end of WW II has been ongoing ever since. It did get 'colder' for a while during the Soviet Union breakup but has warmed back up enough that people are again referring to a 'new' Cold War. I believe what we are seeing now is just another phase of the on-going Cold war that started in the late 1940s.

And I do not envision anything that will keep it from continuing, at some level, until the Cold War becomes WW III.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
President Trump recently pulled the United States out of a nuclear arms limitation treaty with Russia. Putin had been accused of violating the treaty, so why would the United States stay in the treaty?

All of that is besides the point. What bothers me is we may be facing a new arms race and another Cold War. Then again, was the first Cold War really over?
The breakup of the Soviet Union was a definite end of the Cold War. There was a big period of cooperation between Russia and the USA as Russia lost its superpower status that that Soviet Union had.

Quote:
Doe Run lead smelting plant, or any lead smelting plant. Thanks to the Obama administration we as a nation can no longer take lead ore and smelt it to a usable product. We can take lead and recycle it, but we do not have the ability to take raw lead ore and turn that ore into a usable product.

If the nation needs to gear up for another Cold War, then we need the ability to produce our of lead. This means we should keep an ear to the ground for a lead refinery to open.

Next thing we may want to look for is the military making new orders of small arms ammunition. This means 9mm, 45acp, 223, 7.62 nato... etc. When the government places an order, their order will push civilian production out of the way. The end result is ammo shortages, primer shortages, powder shortages, and price hikes.

I remember back in the 1990s there were long term primer and powder shortages.
There are alternatives to lead. http://www.huntingwithnonlead.org/bullet_types.html

Quote:

My son and I planted:
  • 14 rows of corn
  • 4 rows of potatoes
  • 2 rows of onions

Towards the end of March I will be planting beans, peas, peppers, squash...etc.

To prep for the next Cold War, I am planting a large garden and plan on putting more food up.

Then there are the 14 hens I have in the small chicken house.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Three sisters. Its all what you feel like eating, imo. I really like Kale, and mustard. Both are pretty easy to grow. Also if you are going squash beans corn as per three sisters, traditionally sun flower seed was another (also really easy to grow, and you can get it as bird seed.
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamAshley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,854 Times in 7,539 Posts

Russia/Putin is still trying to recreate the old Soviet Union. Don't doubt it. They took over Crimea by brute force, and were/are hoping to re-incorporate all of Ukraine, because Ukraine was the Soviet breadbasket. Had not there been a revolt against their puppet president it would be fait accompli by now. They've been making moves in the Baltic which probably foreshadow a military-assisted takeover of Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia. They've virtually occupied a Norwegian island in the far north. A minor military facility that Norway thought it couldn't afford to keep up any longer.

Creeping imperialism is a thing, and it speaks two languages, Chinese and Russian.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Hiker

According to House of War - US military spending didn't go down a dime after the USSR collapsed: https://www.amazon.com/House-War-Pen...gateway&sr=8-1

I think it may be good to have a rivalry in many respects - so long it never grows hot. The odds of it growing hot are not likely to change no matter the spending. A healthy Russia is probably safer than a crumbling Russia where nuclear bombs would be available on the black market.
The Following User Says Thank You to softdown For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
The Cold War is welfare for the military industrial complex on all sides. New weapon's systems drive new defensive systems, it's a never ending story of spend more money.

Everyone cheats - only the looser gets caught and vilified. The lame stream media only reports what the NWO/Swamp wants 'people' to believe.

What, there are about 100,000 or so nuke weapons world wide. When was the last one actually used in combat? 1945 BOCKSCAR. What a giant waste of money and materials let alone the damage to the environment to mine and test weapons to scary to continue to use.

Did we learn anything for 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima - maybe.

How many millions of people have we killed to hold back Communism and now they are running for President. How many millions were killed by the Communist to enforce Communism? How many successful Communist states are there?
The closest the world nuclear arsenal ever got to 10,000 was back in '85 when it was around 70,000 warheads. Right now it's around 14,000.

Image From https://fas.org/issues/nuclear-weapo...uclear-forces/

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
According to House of War - US military spending didn't go down a dime after the USSR collapsed: https://www.amazon.com/House-War-Pen...gateway&sr=8-1

I think it may be good to have a rivalry in many respects - so long it never grows hot. The odds of it growing hot are not likely to change no matter the spending. A healthy Russia is probably safer than a crumbling Russia where nuclear bombs would be available on the black market.
Yes, a "power vacuum" can be a bad thing. Actually, inflation corrected, defense spending took a pretty steep dive in 91, but after 9/11 it shot back up. Why? Because as we found out the hard way, the world didn't become any safer, the threats simply changed because Russia wasn't suppressing the old rivalries of many of these states anymore.

People who continually invoke the "Military-Industrial Complex" as the primary destabilizing force in the world probably do so because they don't want to acknowledge that geopolitics and super-power relations are far more complex than "if we play nice with them, they'll play nice with us". They want one simple boogeyman they can blame for a seemingly unending supply of instability in the world. It's so much easier than trying to wrap your mind around a complicated interplay of 200 different nations, all of whom have their own interests which at times are shared and at others are competing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Russia/Putin is still trying to recreate the old Soviet Union. Don't doubt it. They took over Crimea by brute force, and were/are hoping to re-incorporate all of Ukraine
Not really. Both Crimea and the Donbas were strategic Russian economic and military centers from soviet times onward. There are tons of Russians living in those areas. I know it is counter the narrative but sevestapol and Crimea were essentially Russian since the Russian's colonized the area in tsarist times, it was never really Ukrainian dominant area, its been Russian since the the tsar kicked out the Tartars well before soviet times. Russians were leasing the area effectively and had a special treaty on the area to allow the Russian military's free movement in the area.
Prior to the conflict, Russia had a treaty with Ukraine that partially facilitated for Russian troops to free movement within Ukraine.

Quote:
because Ukraine was the Soviet breadbasket. Had not there been a revolt against their puppet president it would be fait accompli by now. They've been making moves in the Baltic which probably foreshadow a military-assisted takeover of Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia. They've virtually occupied a Norwegian island in the far north. A minor military facility that Norway thought it couldn't afford to keep up any longer.

The party of regions was a major Ukranian Party, its not like they didn't or don't have support. Ukrainian nationalists have always been fighting second fighting for first. The main issue with the ukranian nationalists is that they want to push "Ukrainian" culture, even in areas that are not ukranian culturally, there are tons of Russian cultural areas in Ukraine, so that is the problem.

Russia really doesn't want to take over Ukraine, its not really its objective. Russia much like Turkey is to support ethnic Russians where they exist, its more about supporting countries or areas that speak your language and share your cultural practices because political boundaries are a little artificial when generally boundaries are really more so where cultures change and where languages change. Tons of people in Ukraine are dual nationals both Russian and Ukranian, old soviet citizens where the border was more like a state boundary. You know someone who has a husband from Mississippi and a wife from Akransas suddenly aren't going to have family ties to those areas just because the states decide to create a boundary, it is artificial.

That said Donbas was a major soviet and Russian industrial center, lots of the industries in Ukraine were part of the Russian military industrial complex.

The issue with the Crimea issue is that ultranationalists were murdering ethnic Russians, and there was no telling what would happen in Crimea. It was also a major issue with the naval base there.

Since it was an illegitimate change of power, the situation was delicate, the situation was a coupe not a normal transition of power. From Russia's perspective it supported the legitimate government not the coup powers, which was a wester backed coup with over a billion dollars funneled into the country by the US to facilitate for the coupe.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,087 Times in 1,952 Posts

Good lord "There are tons of Russians living in" the Ukraine because the democrat party icon uncle joe stalin kill millions of Ukranians then backfilled the place with Russian squatters. Who are still there. (Same as Crimea)

"There are tons of Russians living in" the Baltic countries because of decades Russian forced migration of Russians TOO the Baltics. Doesn't make any of the "Russian" for anyone but a thief.

(pretty much the same program our US commies are engaged in with their Mexican/Central American peons).
Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Good lord "There are tons of Russians living in" the Ukraine because the democrat party icon uncle joe stalin kill millions of Ukranians then backfilled the place with Russian squatters. Who are still there. (Same as Crimea)
That is creative. When exactly did Ukraine start to exist as a country?
I think you will be sadly mistaken that Ukranians were one of many Russian Tsarist subjects long before Ukraine became a nation.

Ukraine/Founded

August 24, 1991

come on.

Before that it was soviet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...f_Independence

The area has always been an ethnic hodgepodge. No one group has had dominant control of the area ongoing.

That is what Ukrainian cultural nationalism is so disturbing for the entirety of the country rather than just ethnically dominant areas.

If this coupe was spured by notions of multiculturalism and inclusivity, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. Ultranationalism is a big problem for that area, that is what the conflict there is all about.

This is akin to saying native americans are a subject people and should have their homeland back.. .get the Europeans back to those homelands. come on it is absurd. America is illegitimate. Come on put the shoe on the other foot and have a reality check. Ukraine has never been "culturally pure" ever. It is an artificial creation. It has since tsarist times meant "the boundary" from the Russians and non Russian empire.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
There are tons of Russians living in those areas. I know it is counter the narrative but sevestapol and Crimea were essentially Russian
Kinda like there were tons of Germans living in areas of Czechoslovakia in 1938? So it was essentially German? Kinda like there are tons of muslims living in Kashmir? So it's essentially Pakistani? Next, you'll be telling us Cali, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas are essentially Mexico.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,705 Times in 22,463 Posts

Russia doesn't have the $.

Good ammo, got primers, got food, planting the same garden.

That's the thing about homesteading, prepping etc.

You don't need to change anything as the threats emerge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post

"There are tons of Russians living in" the Baltic countries because of decades Russian forced migration of Russians TOO the Baltics. Doesn't make any of the "Russian" for anyone but a thief.

(pretty much the same program our US commies are engaged in with their Mexican/Central American peons).
I happen to have several friends who live in Ukraine and I am currently learning the Russian language. There were no Russian citizens living in Crimea. If it were true what you claimed and Crimea was not actually part of Ukraine then why did the Russian Military provide armaments to the rebel Russian separatist. The actual conflict that brought about the separatism was that many in Ukraine felt that President Petro Poroshenko was embezzling money from the citizens of Ukraine and lead to a revolt. In which Russia saw an opportunity to regain some of it's former Glory and annex Crimea which not only has Sevastopol, but Alushta, Simferopol and Kerch. Sevastopol is the largest city on the Crimean peninsula. Although Crimea was part of Ukraine, they were much like Texas in that they maintained some level of autonomy. The Russian Military saw a chance to control a major port into the Black Sea which was a major Naval Operation of the Soviet Empire. The Russians are also trying the same Tactics with the Eastern City of Donetsk. There are cries from both sides for America to protect each side. Donetsk has a slogan that says save Donbass. But again it is people that wish to be Russian citizens and the Ukrainian Government says no because it is Ukrainian land. There are not tons of Russians living in the Baltic states, what there is are a bunch of former Soviet Union citizens (by force) who under threat of death were told to only speak the Russian language and forget their native languages. So you are grossly misinformed. And I can further prove this as I have a few friends who live in Russia as well and they absolutely hate the Ukrainians, the Russians think more of a mangy mutt in the street than they do a Ukrainian.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
That is creative. When exactly did Ukraine start to exist as a country?
I think you will be sadly mistaken that Ukranians were one of many Russian Tsarist subjects long before Ukraine became a nation.

Ukraine/Founded

August 24, 1991

come on.

Before that it was soviet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...f_Independence

The area has always been an ethnic hodgepodge. No one group has had dominant control of the area ongoing.

That is what Ukrainian cultural nationalism is so disturbing for the entirety of the country rather than just ethnically dominant areas.

If this coupe was spured by notions of multiculturalism and inclusivity, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. Ultranationalism is a big problem for that area, that is what the conflict there is all about.

This is akin to saying native americans are a subject people and should have their homeland back.. .get the Europeans back to those homelands. come on it is absurd. America is illegitimate. Come on put the shoe on the other foot and have a reality check. Ukraine has never been "culturally pure" ever. It is an artificial creation. It has since tsarist times meant "the boundary" from the Russians and non Russian empire.
Actually Ukraine has been around since the 13th century, they were taken over by the soviets in the 1940's and only achieved their independence in 1991. But They were well founded way before 1991.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Also I would like to point out that Ukrainians absolutely hate it when people say "the" Ukraine. It is simply Ukraine.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:40 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,854 Times in 7,539 Posts

Ukraine certainly did exist in the 13th century, and interestingly the population (not that it was much) was Scandinavian. There was a significant trade route running along rivers from the Baltic to the Black Sea. (They had no compunction about trading slaves to the muslims.)

That trade route is why you see blonde "Russians" to this day.

Anybody who wants to know what Stalin did to Ukraine needs to look up the word "holodomor". Like Holocaust deniers, Russians still claim that it didn't happen, but it did. Ukrainians remember.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post: