SurvivalistBoard Survivor Game (Season 1: Lucy's Hammer) - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCIS Season 14 - Beginning of the End Batko10 Books, Movies & Stories 5 12-19-2017 09:54 AM
Deciding between a hammer drill vs. a demolition hammer? zuren DIY - Do It Yourself 10 08-31-2017 08:29 PM

View Poll Results: Cast your vote for your favorite Season 1 Survivor
Aerindel (Team Heavy's Haulers) 4 11.43%
Harbinger1972 (Team Chaos) 1 2.86%
Martial Lawyer (Team Heavy's Haulers) 7 20.00%
Porkchop Samich (Team Chaos) 2 5.71%
Alaska99835 (Team Chaos) 2 5.71%
WoodHavenHunter (Team Heavy's Haulers) 1 2.86%
Lugh MacArawn (Team Heavy's Haulers) 2 5.71%
RaccoonTrapper2016 (Team Chaos) 4 11.43%
BadgeBunny (Team Chaos) 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2018, 08:41 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,190 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg777 View Post
NOT APPLYING, I'll be having surgery and a multi-day hospital stay in the next couple of weeks, but I want to follow along, so I'm tagging this thread.
Ok- there is no pressure to play, and it will be nice to have other members following the game. If you are interested, I do allow players to have another member sit in for them as proxy if they are away from the action for a matter of days. The game will take several weeks to complete, so a few days in sick bay would not be a deal breaker from my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apok View Post
Overseas, so not applying, but subscribing out of curiosity.
I do hate excluding folks from other parts of the world, but when I first thought of doing this I studied up on other “Survivor” based games hosted in other forums. (There are entire forums dedicated to playing like this, many will rent beach houses and come together to play out their own Survivor games and party). After reading dozens and following several games over a few weeks it became appearant that it’s best to restrict the players to common time zones.

I hope everyone (players and spectators) enjoy it enough to make a market for “Season Two”.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoSay View Post
So far we have 7-9 players pending- So I hope both you and Moccasin commit and apply to play (and everyone else reading this). We can probably start with as few as a dozen, but I think at least 16 would be best.

As far as the beans- I do not know if these are yet in SEARCH, if compared to an old car this bean would be what you'd call a "barn find". I have a friend who makes documentary films, and she is making a film on this bean, it's history, its genetics, SEARCH, and the overall importance of conserving genetic diversity in food crops. She gave me some of the beans because I had told her the story of my dad finding the 600 year old Indian corn and working with scientists to get it germinated- so she knew I had an interest in these types of things.

As far as a prepper resource, what's cool about the ancient Indian strains of these crops is that they are as tough as the people who grew them when all of life was SHTF (before petro-fertilizers, irrigation pumps, insecticides, and tractors)

These beans are over 5 years old, but should still germinate at least 50%. I usually try to get a new gen every 3 years (usually germinate about 100% for up to 3 years) as a minimum, but am a little behind. I'm planting a new generation this spring and would have some more to give out to those interested this fall.

link to SEARCH site for those interested.
https://www.nativeseeds.org/
The beans I got from SEARCH had a similar story. I tried some corns as well, but I had smut real bad for a few years. I got some teosonite from a seed bank in Mexico; grew it once - never again: nasty , it made sweet corn so much more appreciated

SEARCH is a good source for those in the SW interested in varieties which grow here well.

<edit> Oops, forgot to mention, Applied
Old 01-25-2018, 12:15 AM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Just a note to potential players. I had a note in the application, “sell me on why you should be chosen”. I had seen that in other games when there was a rush of more players than spaces- it’s really meant to gauge enthusiasm for the “Survivor” game, and a player’s potential to stay active with the game and not go MIA on us. I’ve decided to just roll with the first ones that sign up and see how it plays out .

On that note, don’t be overly concerned with the level of commitment this game would require. I have some time sensitive or real-time challenges that will benefit players that are able to be present at a predetermined time or a prolonged time frame, but I have stacked those near the beginning of the game (for a lot of reasons). For the most part, I’ve tried to design the game (especially in later rounds where the numbers have fallen) to only require folks to check in with it every 24-48 hours like many of us already do here on the forum anyway.

The game is supposed to enhance your experience here on the SB not become another tedious job that keeps you from your life. Time will tell how good a job I do at that, but know that my focus is to provide a fun diversion (with a real reward at the end), not torture you with added chores and commitment.

We’ve a steady flow of players joining up, but still need a few more before we kick it off. Remember, this is at it’s heart a social game where there is safety in numbers, so tell your SB friends to join up and start the game out with a hidden allegiance .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 35,688 Times in 10,133 Posts

I played my first "survivor" game with Junglecrawler's 5 Will Survive. That took around 2 and a half years and I loved it. Hopefully this will be just as good.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:36 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
I played my first "survivor" game with Junglecrawler's 5 Will Survive. That took around 2 and a half years and I loved it. Hopefully this will be just as good.
Junglecrawler is a gifted writer who wrote the plot driven game as it was happening (like a D&D RPG game). This is much more a social game where the challenges I create are there to help players help themselves by earning immunity from elimination or other advantage, and ultimately allowing players to position themselves for advantage in the social jockeying that might allow them to win. in that context, the real game takes place in the interactions between the players off-screen. Like the TV show, there will be a team element creating an early strategy to keep strong challenge players on your side, that you may want to be rid of later in the game when they become your direct competition.

This will not take near as long as 5-will-survive, but it is hard to determine how long it will take to complete. If you were to play chess with someone over the internet, it could might take 2 hours, or it might take 2 years, depending on how much time it takes for players to make their moves. In general, my plan is to set 24-48 deadlines for individual task, but it rarely takes that long if players are active, so it's hard to know how fast we get through things.

I think it will be fun, I know it can be fun as I've found entire forum communities who do it on the reg. Time will tell how well it translates to us here at the SB.

Players are still trickling in, we're close to a minimum number to start playing, but I'm still hoping to get 6-8 more over the next few days, so bug your friends to sign up with you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,898 Times in 722 Posts

Applied

The Following User Says Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,448 Times in 4,657 Posts

Not applying but very curious. Sounds like fun but I'm just gonna spectate this time around.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:04 AM

I applied! Lets GOOO!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:03 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodHavenHunter View Post
I applied! Lets GOOO!
We’re getting close! We have 12 players so far (which is enough, but a minimum for team play) but we’ll give a couple more days for new players since I left my computer at work anyway. From here on out I’ll have my laptop with me 7 days a week so you guys should never have to wait on me for things (in theory- gamemasters have lives too).

I may have to change the game around a bit for fewer players, but I’ll kick us off on Monday regardless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
Not applying but very curious. Sounds like fun but I'm just gonna spectate this time around.
“If you’re scared, get a dog”.

Why not play?, none of us have done this before either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 04:41 PM

Not applying, you want too much personal information, but I interested in seeing where it goes.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Goat Roper

Yeah BB, you have 182 weeks to kill!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Goat Roper

Cmon WF, info can be deceitful!
The Following User Says Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingfreeman View Post
Not applying, you want too much personal information, but I interested in seeing where it goes.
The personal info I asked for is potentially for use as part of the game play- I said clearly that you can fake it if you want to. I’m not some 3-letter agency trying to steal your deepest darkest secrets.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:13 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

For what it’s worth, here are my answers to the same questions. Come and get me...

Name: Scott
Favorite Color: Olive Drab
Favorite Book: Tortilla Flats (Steinbeck)
Favorite Movie: The Big Lebowski
Favorite Quote: ”Everyone should aspire to be the last of some dying breed”
Lucky number: 9
Favorite season of the year: Autumn
Number of siblings: 2
bug in or bug out prepper style: Bug-in
Favorite SB member: Bunkerbuster

Choose One of each of the following:

Morning person or Night Owl
Clean freak or messy
Life of the Party or tea-totaller
Organizer or procrastinator
Chatty or Quiet
Car or truck
Sweet or Savory
Dog person or cat person
Christmas or Holloween
Right or left handed
Military veteran or no
Gold bug, or non believer.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 06:43 PM
wait what

Thanked 2,853 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoSay View Post
“If you’re scared, get a dog”.

Why not play?, none of us have done this before either.
TXplowgirl has done this before(in a way) and she kicked some serious AZZ!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ID_Kiwi22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 35,688 Times in 10,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska99835 View Post
TXplowgirl has done this before(in a way) and she kicked some serious AZZ!!!!
Aww, thank you Alaska. I tried my best and it was fun. Hopefully this will be too.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

OK folks, last call!! We have 12 players. I didn't think it would be that hard to get people interested in playing this game (did I mention there is an awesome prize for the winner? ), but we can roll with 12 . I predict we'll have more folks interested in Season Two when they see how this plays out!!

I'll have to work on the game today to adjust for the fewer players and how that will effect some aspects of the gameplay. If anyone is lurking and thinking about this- better get in touch soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,519 Times in 5,382 Posts

Looks interesting, subscribed. Plowgirl FTW!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 12:46 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Welcome back to SurvivalistBoard Survivor (Season 1: Lucy’s Hammer)
Our 12 players have been chosen, congratulations and welcome aboard this adventure!

Aerindel
harbinger1972
Martial Lawyer
HeavyHauler
hawgy54
TXplowgirl
PorkChop Samich
alaska99835
WoodHavenHunter
Lugh MacArawn
raccoontrapper2016
Nomad, 2nd

The game is played like the television show Survivor. Each round there will be an Immunity Competition, and the winner (and/or the winning team) can not be voted out for that round. At the end of each round there will be a Team/Group “Come-To-Jesus-Meeting” (CTJM) where the players/team will discuss their potential vote and everyone voting will PM their votes to me- the player accumulating the most votes will be eliminated from the game. Rounds continue until only two players remain. The final two players will be subject to a vote by a jury of their player peers that have already been eliminated. I’ll also be posting questions to players during CTJM, and those players questioned will be required to post an answer to that question in the game thread within that same time frame.

GENERAL RULES:

1: You are allowed to and encouraged to communicate with one another outside the thread (see below).

2: Challenges and Voting Periods will have deadlines. If you do not participate or meet a deadline during a challenge phase, you will receive one strike. Players will be expelled from the game after receiving 3 strikes for inactivity. If you do not turn in your vote on time for Team/GroupCTJM, you will receive a self-vote.

3: In the event of a tie, the players will revote (specific rules will be provided). If a tie remains, then the contestants in the tie will compete head-to-head in a challenge to stay in the game.

4: You may not vote for a person who has earned or won immunity.

5: My word is final, don't argue with the game-master (aka Me). On the flip, If I’ve made a mistake or been unclear, feel free to point it out. There may on occasion be circumstances that I haven’t forseen requiring me to create or potentially alter rules accordingly. Again, my word is final, it’s not a democracy. My job and goal is to create a fair environment and I take it seriously.

6: If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or to PM me.

SETTING UP COMMS: ANYTHING GOES OUTSIDE THE FORUM.

Take a while to get to know each other, the game will begin soon. There are no restrictions on how you choose to communicate with each other, the site does not have a chat function, so getting together with each other on some sort of real-time chat or IM application (like, Line, Snapchat, Skype, Facebook messenger) will likely be worthwhile, but certainly not required. (Many of these programs allow for anonymity too) . You may also exchange personal e-mails if you wish, or even exchange phone numbers and actually (gasp) talk to each other if you wish… but that is not required either. At the end of the day, the other players in this game, and how well you interact with them, will determine who wins the game, so It’s in your interest to communicate your thoughts and input to the gameplay as best you can.

FORUM “GROUPS”

I think one of the best ways to communicate here on the forum is to use the “groups” function. A group is like a regular SB forum but can be set up so that only those who have been invited can see the threads and participate. I have set up an invite only group and have invited you all to join it.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=746

I will also be setting up team groups later once those teams are established. All members of your respective team will have access to the “team” group chat forum, but the other team will not be able to come in and see the conversation.

There will be some conversations that are best held as a group discussion within your team, so this will be a good place to do that. (for example, “one of us has to sit out this next competition, who should it be and why?”)

USING FORUM “GROUPS” AS A WAY TO COMMUNICATE ONE-ON-ONE.

Setting up invite only group forums is advantageous to PM’s as it is easier to follow ongoing discussions in the forum-post format then in the crappy and confusing SB Private Messaging system, and you can chose to be notified when you receive a message or post in the group. But it’s also better than PM’s for communicating with individuals than the PM as well.Most members are restricted to a small number of PM messages in their mailbox, so this might become a problem for players having to correspond with several other players at once. Groups allow you communicate in an ongoing forum thread so you can easily reference your earlier conversation (that often gets lost in the PM system), Most importantly, you can restrict conversations to invited group members only. Feel free to set up smaller groups for communications between you and other individual players if you find you agree it’s superior to the PM system, but again, it’s not required that you do.

FIRST TASK OF THE GAME!

All players are to post in the game thread (HERE) within the next 24 hours, with the phrase “ [your name]:I’M A SURVIVOR!acknowledging that you are up to speed, and set to go, Failure to do so will result in a strike against you. I’d also like you to accept your invite to the SB Survivor Group, and post in the “Welcome Players” thread, just so I know this is working…

Using the colored font will be helpful in keeping track of gameplay posts later on in the game, so try to post this one in blue to get one under your belt.

FIRST CHALLENGE:

The first challenge will begin at (6PM-PT/7PM-MT/8PM-CT) 9PM-ET, Wednesday January 31. It will be advantageous to be online to participate at that time, but not crucial. If you can’t be on at that time, just get on as soon as you can after that time (the challenge will run 72 hours but should be rectified much sooner than that).

Boom! Let's do this!

Last edited by KeyserSoSay; 01-29-2018 at 02:18 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post: