Raccoons Killed My Chickens - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Korean War growing more imminent - What's your plan? **Merge Thread** Colt Manmade and Natural Disasters 3152 08-04-2018 09:22 AM
How to Stop Chickens from Eating Eggs AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-29-2017 12:00 PM
Neighbor Shot and Killed goofwife General Discussion 91 02-11-2017 06:06 PM
Deer Feeder For Feeding Chickens AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-07-2016 05:30 PM

Old 01-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Been there, done that

Default Raccoons Killed My Chickens

Advertise Here

Went out today to get the eggs and a raccoon had gotten into the pen and killed four. Know it was a raccoon because the heads were all gone and part of their breasts.

I had a covered shed style roof over their run and the run is built with galvanized hardware cloth. What I never did was close the 8" gap between the top of the hardware cloth (top of the walls of the run, about 5' off the ground) and the roof rafters. I have to assume that's how the raccoon got in there. No holes anywhere, no rips, the door was locked.

Went out an put some temporary plywood strips to cover the gaps in the front and side, but there are still 4" gaps on the backside where the 2x4 rafters lay on top of the back wall.

Can a raccoon get in those 4" gaps? I've also heard putting rags soaked in ammonia will keep the raccoons away. Any thoughts?

In 2.5 years I haven't had a single chicken die from a predator - I suspect the frigid temps we've been having on the East Coast is causing them to come out of their dens for calories.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmchawk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,111 Times in 8,761 Posts

Yes, a raccoon can get in through those gaps.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmchawk View Post
Went out today to get the eggs and a raccoon had gotten into the pen and killed four. Know it was a raccoon because the heads were all gone and part of their breasts.

I had a covered shed style roof over their run and the run is built with galvanized hardware cloth. What I never did was close the 8" gap between the top of the hardware cloth (top of the walls of the run, about 5' off the ground) and the roof rafters. I have to assume that's how the raccoon got in there. No holes anywhere, no rips, the door was locked.

Went out an put some temporary plywood strips to cover the gaps in the front and side, but there are still 4" gaps on the backside where the 2x4 rafters lay on top of the back wall.

Can a raccoon get in those 4" gaps? I've also heard putting rags soaked in ammonia will keep the raccoons away. Any thoughts?

In 2.5 years I haven't had a single chicken die from a predator - I suspect the frigid temps we've been having on the East Coast is causing them to come out of their dens for calories.
yes and they can get between the wire where it overlaps if you dont stitcj it together with wire
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,447 Times in 6,364 Posts

if I lived closer I could bring my hounds and solve your problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,421 Times in 6,660 Posts

I had a coon rip the shingles and plywood on the roof OFF. made a hole about 4x6 inches crawl in and kill 3 hens.
they were our retired crew but coons are determined SOBs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,448 Times in 4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
I had a coon rip the shingles and plywood on the roof OFF. made a hole about 4x6 inches crawl in and kill 3 hens.
they were our retired crew but coons are determined SOBs
It never ceases to amaze me how little a hole those suckers can squeeze through. And like you I've seen them tear though what we thought was an impenetrable coop -- through the side of ours -- wood panel, insulation and drywall, covered by another wood plywood panel. Hole was not any bigger than what you describe. Coon was still in the coop. Scared the bejeebus outta me. We spent the entire week reinforcing all our pens.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,388 Times in 6,459 Posts

Quote:
if I lived closer I could bring my hounds and solve your problem.
Only temporarily. Predators are a renewable resource.

The coop and run I built for my parents was designed with bears in mind.The run is hog wire plus chicken wire, including a full top and there are six strands of electric fence on the walls.

The coop itself is 2x6 studs and plywood and basically impenetrable to animals. It has a door that is closed and latched every night so if anything breaks into the run the coop is not compromised.

They have never lost a chicken to a predator in twelve years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,551 Times in 5,478 Posts

Raccoons come in all sizes, from babies to big suckers.

A 4 inch gap might keep out some of the coons, but not all of the coons. I would do something bout that gap
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,388 Times in 6,459 Posts

The coop I built is actually mouse proof....to many problems with mice coming in and eating chicken food otherwise.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,226 Posts

Essentially, if they can get their head in it, they can squeeze their body through.

4" is big enough, particularly if it is a gap, as opposed to a hole. A 4" hole is big enough, a gap just makes it easier for them.

Sounds like it is time for you go Davy Crockett and get a new hat!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lugh MacArawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,127 Times in 3,865 Posts

Don't use ammonia soaked rags!!

Poop buildup in a coop that lets off too much ammonia (especially in winter) can lead to chicken respiratory infections. Actually using ammonia soaked rags near the birds will tear up their lungs and could kill them.

So you have a 4" gap in the hen house itself? Yeah that is not good, also seems like it would be very cold for the birds this time of year.

This may have been the first raid in 2 years, but now that they have found a way into the coop and know it is full of delicious chicken I would expect another raid again soon. Seal that thing up asap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 PM

Buddy had a problem with coyotes getting his chickens. He got a couple geese. Geese are the meanest animals in the world. Problem solved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfmanning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM

They are determined little buggers with apposing thumbs. They will rip through tear into and open anything they can and if there is one there is more. Id close it up with chicken wire and 2x4s Try the geese or a couple turkeys, they have the added bonus of thanksgiving dinner. A good dog patrolling the yard helps too. We trap them too, they get smart to the traps quick tho. Keep the 22 by the door, if you get the chance make a hat or two. Id say they are about the worst varmint you can get hanging about due to their destructive nature. We have a shoot on sight policy at the farm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highsteelman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,384 Posts

A mink could also easily get thru that 4" gap. They can climb like a squirrel.
We thought we had 'coon problems and turned out to be land-lubber mink. Chewed off the heads and ripped the breast of my hens. Caught some mink with traps, and shot some.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 02:19 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,511 Times in 591 Posts

I had a horrific number of raccoons when I first bought my property. Lost a few chickens until I closed all the small gaps. After that I kept three baited live traps around the enclosure. Caught about fifteen the first week. My neighbor took em for the skins and boiled the carcasses for his dogs.

That was then and this is now. Five years later I haven't caught one in a year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to workquik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Nothing but the heads gone ? I think weasel ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 347PS For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,781 Times in 5,674 Posts

Years back I saw one getting off my old aluminum porch through the smallest opening against the house, couldn't believe something that big could squeeze through an opening that small.

We have our share of 'coons. Make sure the garbage is always in the cans, funny how they don't try to open the lids which are 4 feet off the ground and not secured. I see them around with kittens at times, but they are hardly a nuisance for us.

To the OP, somebody mentioned a weasel, are they in the area? Foxes are able to jump fairly high and climb, not sure how high. Fox by me keeps the rabbit population in check, the 'coons leave them alone, AFAIK.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Wind

Thanked 1,766 Times in 784 Posts

Patch up pen solid so it can not be broken into again. Use the dead hens as bait in the back of a cage trap. A coon or possum will go back to eat the rest in a cage trap. Mink/weasel will want more fresh hens. to set for them place a woodn post or long firewood at a 45 degrees. Wire an anchor a long spring #1 or #1.5 to the top of the 45 degree post. He will climb the post for a high sight advantage and be caught in the set trap at the end. Lil 110 conibear or 120 will catch a head trying to squeeze thru a hole. These type traps should be around a farm of any size that has chickens.

Good luck killing the varmint!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,127 Times in 3,865 Posts

If their hen house is secured you don't need to be baiting traps and killing the local wildlife. Both coons and people will take up the offer for an easy free meal and that is what an unsecure hen house provides. Besides putting out tempting bait could easily attract MORE that otherwise wouldn't have messed with the coop at all.

I lost some chicks to a rat snake, I didn't set out to get "revenge" just because the animal was hungry and discovered tasty chicks right in their home territory, i just make sure the hen house was secure (since that wasn't the only snake in the area).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
If their hen house is secured you don't need to be baiting traps and killing the local wildlife. Both coons and people will take up the offer for an easy free meal and that is what an unsecure hen house provides.

I lost some chicks to a rat snake, I didn't set out to get "revenge" just because the animal was hungry and discovered tasty chicks right in their home territory, i just make sure the hen house was secure (since that wasn't the only snake in the area).
I do not approve of using it, but the bird netting used to protect berries from birds when placed so that snakes crawl through it will capture snakes. Acts like a gill net.