Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a course in Idaho 101 OneLostCowboy Idaho 10 08-11-2016 09:53 PM
Worlds Most Beautifull Libraries Dude111 General Discussion 3 04-04-2013 05:06 AM
English 101...... MIL-DOT Jokes, Humor & Music 0 10-27-2012 05:54 PM
Tires 101 MattD77 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 06-05-2011 04:28 PM
bible 101 deadtorights Religious Discussion 25 06-04-2011 02:08 AM
Stimulus 101 Tachmonite General Discussion 0 04-20-2011 09:05 PM
Shelter 101 scottinaz Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 02-10-2010 09:52 PM
Satanism 101 Mama Bear Religious Discussion 500 01-28-2010 03:32 PM
How to Can-101 JoeKan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 09-30-2009 01:57 PM

Old 11-15-2016, 05:55 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthor View Post
...Also, your Tags and license are one, they also include you Upland Bird license & your Fishing license !!!
FYI UPDATE - There were changes to the Hunting/Fishing/Bird licenses this year. It increased the cost of my licenses quite a bit.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Griz326 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 09:42 AM
I didn't do it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
So when you are cutting firewood... what are you cutting. I'm assuming there aren't a lot of oak up there. Burning pine and other evergreens isn't good practice really, so what are you cutting and burning?

NGH
A pine that dies while standing doesn't have all the sap. One that's green & blown over by wind & dies will have.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,181 Posts

Dang it OneLostCowboy and Montana Ranches! I'm so blasted jealous!
I have 10 more years until retirement so I can't throw that away, but YOU GUYS are talking about MY DREAM! Knock it off already! Lol
I'm sick of the heat and humidity as well. Lived in it my whole life.
I've always wanted to live somewhere where I could wear a long sleeve shirt all year long.
Now I've said my piece, so good luck...and maybe I'll see you there in ten years or so. If I don't head for Colorado or New Mexico first.
The Following User Says Thank You to purplehullpeas For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,043 Times in 6,286 Posts

My son lives about an hour or so from Missoula near the town of Darby. He absolutely loves it. He lives on 22A on top of a mountain that overlooks Trappers Peak. The internet absolutely sucks and cell phone access is limited. He is just below the big snow belt behind his house that puts 5 or 6 feet of snow in the woods all winter. He gets far less on his property but the snow lasts. He is retired at the ripe old age of 46 but he has many skills... he is a master electrician, solar contractor, and he has built several houses. He can get work if he needs it. MANY of his neighbors are not so lucky. Poverty rates are high, people on assistance and disability are the norm. Jobs are scarce and high paying jobs rare.

He has a full shop in his garage where he fixes his cars, trucks, quads, snowmobiles and other toys. He can do the work himself and he can fix just about anything. If you are not handy and flush with cash, you might want to reconsider. MANY people from CA (liberals) have moved to the area which has driven up property values, put fences on land that was open and have soured the locals. They also just dumped some refugees into the area at the disappointment of the locals. The zero sales tax is great but politicians are now starting to put pressure on that too... they need more revenue to pay for a generally depressed economy, infrastructure, and lots of people who are non-contributors.

All in all, he loves Montana and would never leave. He has lived in PA, HI and has visited MANY other places and for him, MT is home. My take, as a visitor, is a little different.

I have visited a lot and as a retiree who is NOT handy I can say that I would never live there. He has to drive 20 minutes to get to minimal shopping, 45 to get to "decent" shopping and medical care and civilization. I am a people person and there are very few people around. He is close with some of his neighbors and has never spoken to others in over a decade. The winters are too HARSH for me and he is on the edge of the wilderness. You can take a wrong turn about a mile from his house and you will not see another road for 75 miles or so. There are wolves, bears, and tons of wildlife and millions of acres to hunt and roam. For me, at my age and overall condition, that offers an opportunity to get lost, break down, get stuck, etc. I worry about all that stuff. He is absolutely fearless and has all the equipment you could possibly need in case of a problem. He snowmobiles on mountain tops 50 miles from roads with friends who are expert race drivers... they ride over 10 foot of snow and often get stuck, break down, and even get burred. They carry locator devices and often fix their machines on the spot. They all love the danger, suspense, and thrill of going where others fear to go. THAT is not for me!

MT is a big, wild and beautiful state and there is something for everyone. Choose your area carefully and make a big list of your wants and needs before selecting on one place. Visit OFTEN before buying. You might even consider renting for a year or so. I have lived in a few places now that I loved when I first moved there and soon became acquainted with neighbors... only to leave. My son has also had some serious problems with some of his neighbors... then again, he is also best friends with others. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fillzee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 03:58 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,590 Times in 5,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Ranches View Post
...Here is what you will probably have issues with. You will hate the State Income Tax. Yes there is no Sales tax but coming from Texas and having to do another return, tax deposits, etc...you will never get use to coming from Texas. Living in Missoula you may have a struggle with how liberal it is. We live in Big Sky and our family has really been ridiculed for...
Don't forget that there is no sales tax! That can help things somewhat.

There are some libs in Missoula/Bozeman, but I've never been bothered. Then again, I don't talk politics with liberals - there's no point really.

I spent 2-3 years in TX, Corpus Christi area. I loved it. Great area, and some of the friendliest people ever, including the Mexicans (and there were a lot of them. You really notice when you walk into the HEB an they're making announcements over the loudspeaker in Spanish and they don't bother giving an English version!) That was back in the 90s, I wonder how much it has changed?

Whattaburger, anyone? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Ranches View Post
Neighbors can be interesting in Montana. A lot of people move up here to get a way from past issues. Not everyone but some. There are great people here but there are also some real weirdos. Choose your area carefully. I would also consider your political make up vs the area before moving.
Yup, but not nearly as many of them weirdos as in Alaska!

Old 12-03-2016, 07:47 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,480 Times in 6,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Mmmm yeah, me too. I won't forget that winter - it got down to 30 below and I was living in a camper! I had to keep water in the refrigerator or it would freeze. In the morning when I woke up the dogs water bowl was frozen solid.

But I've been here 10 years and that was the only time it got that cold.

If all this rain we've been getting was snow? We'd already have 4 feet on the ground. I've got a feeling it's going to get deep this winter!

Friends of ours from So CA moved close to Glacier Park. They lasted one winter then evacuated to the Reno area.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,590 Times in 5,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
Friends of ours from So CA moved close to Glacier Park. They lasted one winter then evacuated to the Reno area.
It's not for the faint of heart! And that is why it is still great here!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 09:26 AM
I didn't do it !

Well it took a year longer then I had planned & im not in the area where I wanted to be but it finally happened & it's a starting point.
I stopped for fuel in Mt., the cashier noticed my over loaded trailer & asked where I was from. I told him south of Ft Worth. He said I was always from home & asked why. When I told him I just moved to Mt he only said 2 words "oh [email protected]$&", and his jaw just kinda dropped. I said "yep, y'all have a good day now ya here". His expression didn't change much as I collected my change & exited the store, lol.
Hello Montana, I'm here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneLostCowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 AM

>>>When I told him I just moved to Mt he only said 2 words "oh [email protected]$&"...

There are a lot of us who think of anyone from outside our county as unwelcomed outsiders; we've had our fill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Griz326 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 01:47 PM
I didn't do it !

Well I'm not here to change anything.
Like everyone else I just wanna live my life & be left alone for the most part. Can't take the TX heat anymore & wanted to get back to the mountains. Couldn't think of a better place then Mt.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:11 PM

In the same boat about moving to Montana.
I Can’t stand the filth here in Kalifornia.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:37 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,520 Times in 6,483 Posts

Quote:
Like everyone else I just wanna live my life & be left alone for the most part
In that case...welcome!

We can be a little leery of outsiders just because we get so many Californian's etc. Who move in, use the fact that middle class californian translates to wealthy montanan and try to change things...we have so few people and to some degree, little money, that outsiders can change things pretty quickly in a community.

If your anywhere near Missoula and want to chat with a local...send me a PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridMT View Post
Gun laws in Montana are for the most part pretty lax.. You can conceal in the majority of the state without a permit except in certain counties and cities. Open carry is legal everywhere except the obvious exceptions. I carry 99.9% of the time and never have issues. You can carry a gun in your vehicle open or concealed.

We live in the Garnet range east of Missoula. (granite county) Land is cheap, beautiful, and lots of wildlife to go around.

Jobs are scarce and the ones that are there hardly pay enough to support a family. But if you're frugal and want a life living with just the essentials , it's a great place to be. We live off grid and have decent cell service (Verizon rules in our country) but you get too far off the beaten path, forget about it!
Snowfall can be diverse.. A couple years ago we barely had enough to cover the ground all winter but the year before that we got 38 inches in 36 hours! This year I believe will be a pretty intense winter!
Riding a quad or horse doesn't get much better than where we live and where you're looking. No telling how many thousands of miles of logging trails to explore on! All of western Montana is a great place to be. Good luck!
I don't believe your info on gun laws is correct. AFAIK, you need a permit to carry concealed, you can't carry in larger towns (but I've never seen anyone busted for carrying), and ISTM there are a few quirks about carrying loaded firearms in a vehicle.