Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a course in Idaho 101 OneLostCowboy Idaho 10 08-11-2016 09:53 PM
Worlds Most Beautifull Libraries Dude111 General Discussion 3 04-04-2013 05:06 AM
English 101...... MIL-DOT Jokes, Humor & Music 0 10-27-2012 05:54 PM
Tires 101 MattD77 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 06-05-2011 04:28 PM
bible 101 deadtorights Religious Discussion 25 06-04-2011 02:08 AM
Stimulus 101 Tachmonite General Discussion 0 04-20-2011 09:05 PM
Shelter 101 scottinaz Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 02-10-2010 09:52 PM
Satanism 101 Mama Bear Religious Discussion 500 01-28-2010 03:32 PM
How to Can-101 JoeKan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 09-30-2009 01:57 PM

Old 08-05-2016, 11:23 AM
I didn't do it !

Default Need a course in Montana 101

Advertise Here

Howdy y'all,
I've had all the Texas heat I can stand so I don't plan to be here next summer unless something drastic happens to prevent me from leaving next spring. As great as Texas is I need mountains, snow & cooler weather. Torn between NW Montana & NE Idaho at the moment. I have camped & fished in both states. Reading the legal mumbo jumbo doesn't always make since to me & leaves me with questions so I'm turning to you, fellow SB members who actually live in these states for help/info. Granted job pay & land price are 2 major factors but will be considering personal rights, freedoms & pleasures also.

I never got my CHL because after taking the class I was told if I owed child support or back taxes I would be refused. I was told to wait because once you're refused it's real hard to get off that list in Texas after your issue has been cleared. Yes my child support has been paid in full but still making payments on the back taxes. If concealed carry permits are still being issued in 2yrs I'll have it then.

Soo, with out a CHL what are the carry/possesion laws in Montana? On person & in vehicle (loaded/unloaded, concealed/in plain sight, chambered, etc...)? Gun registration? Any other firearm rules, regs or restrictions I should be aware of ?

Crime rates in the country (can't handle city life)? If someone breaks into your home can you shoot LEGALLY?

For Montana I'm looking around the area west of
Missoula. I've found a few jobs there. I've been thru Montana & Idaho many times when I was an over the road truck driver, during summer & winter.

How much summer/riding time (50+deg) do ya get in that area?

How much snow is on the ground at one time in the winter? How hard is it to get the permit to cut fire wood from BLM land?

How much time on average with out electricity in the winter?

Building restrictions out of the city limits, permits required etc.... or can ya do as you please?

Does your hunting licence include elk, moose & bear tags or do you have to enter a drawing for those?

Whats the price of gas & Deisel there right now? Does it jump much in the winter? What's the cost of a grill size propane bottle w/exchange?

Any free use land left there for hunting, 4wheeling, camping, packing trips on horseback, hiking, etc...?
Or is it all personal, private, gov, etc... owned land where you need a permission slip to step off the pavement?

Your opinions;
The best thing about Montana?
The worst thing about Montana?

Sure would appreciate all the help I could get with this one!!! I'm 46 & I'd like this to be my last move.

(I'll be posting this in the Idaho forum also, in hopes to keep all the info I receive separated by state. Yes, to limit my confusion, lol)
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 AM
The End is Near

Thanked 1,240 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLostCowboy View Post
Howdy y'all,
I've had all the Texas heat I can stand so I don't plan to be here next summer unless something drastic happens to prevent me from leaving next spring. As great as Texas is I need mountains, snow & cooler weather. Torn between NW Montana & NE Idaho at the moment. I have camped & fished in both states. Reading the legal mumbo jumbo doesn't always make since to me & leaves me with questions so I'm turning to you, fellow SB members who actually live in these states for help/info. Granted job pay & land price are 2 major factors but will be considering personal rights, freedoms & pleasures also.

I never got my CHL because after taking the class I was told if I owed child support or back taxes I would be refused. I was told to wait because once you're refused it's real hard to get off that list in Texas after your issue has been cleared. Yes my child support has been paid in full but still making payments on the back taxes. If concealed carry permits are still being issued in 2yrs I'll have it then.

Soo, with out a CHL what are the carry/possesion laws in Montana? On person & in vehicle (loaded/unloaded, concealed/in plain sight, chambered, etc...)? Gun registration? Any other firearm rules, regs or restrictions I should be aware of ?

Crime rates in the country (can't handle city life)? If someone breaks into your home can you shoot LEGALLY?

For Montana I'm looking around the area west of
Missoula. I've found a few jobs there. I've been thru Montana & Idaho many times when I was an over the road truck driver, during summer & winter.

How much summer/riding time (50+deg) do ya get in that area?

How much snow is on the ground at one time in the winter? How hard is it to get the permit to cut fire wood from BLM land?

How much time on average with out electricity in the winter?

Building restrictions out of the city limits, permits required etc.... or can ya do as you please?

Does your hunting licence include elk, moose & bear tags or do you have to enter a drawing for those?

Whats the price of gas & Deisel there right now? Does it jump much in the winter? What's the cost of a grill size propane bottle w/exchange?

Any free use land left there for hunting, 4wheeling, camping, packing trips on horseback, hiking, etc...?
Or is it all personal, private, gov, etc... owned land where you need a permission slip to step off the pavement?

Your opinions;
The best thing about Montana?
The worst thing about Montana?

Sure would appreciate all the help I could get with this one!!! I'm 46 & I'd like this to be my last move.

(I'll be posting this in the Idaho forum also, in hopes to keep all the info I receive separated by state. Yes, to limit my confusion, lol)

I'll answer what I can, I live West of Missoula, in Mineral county:
The summers have plenty of warm weather for riding, I'd say anywhere from May-October is optimal but, even April and November can be warm enough for
riding quads, horses etc. (Btw) You can also drive your ORV's on the paved roads here !!!
The winter snow here is very mild, typically the snow comes and goes with 6 inches being the norm but, I've seen it at 3 feet in Feb of 2014 - that was unusual.
Cutting permits are easy to get and public land/wood is everywhere !
If you're electricity goes down, it's almost always fixed the same day, even if a tree snaps the line, they are very quick about it...
Hunting tags are over the counter for Deer, Elk, Bear, Pronghorn and your tags are good all over the state- minus a few premium areas where there are draws implemented. Moose, Sheep require a draw & it takes a while. Also, your Tags and license are one, they also include you Upland Bird license & your Fishing license !!!
Gas and Diesel are very cheap compared to most other states and as for propane, I just filled my tank and paid 99cents per gallon.

Public land and timber company land is Everywhere ! You don't even have to trailer your toys there, just ride from your yard to the land your wanting to hunt/ride/fish/hike/cook meth

Other than all those wonderful things and more ~ It sucks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pthor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 11:15 PM
I didn't do it !

Howdy pthor,
Mineral county is where I was looking to be. I sure do appreciate the info my friend. I've been there soo many time & just can't wait for spring I'm really looking forward to this move. Been outta the mountains way too long!
The Following User Says Thank You to OneLostCowboy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016, 12:56 PM
~pthor~

Quote:
Howdy pthor,
Mineral county is where I was looking to be. I sure do appreciate the info my friend. I've been there soo many time & just can't wait for spring I'm really looking forward to this move. Been outta the mountains way too long!
(This is pthor, my working account) You won't find a prettier place to live that's for sure !

If you like the outdoors, the trout streams are full, water is everywhere and what the wolves haven't eaten is still available to hunt...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrhogleg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 PM

I have lived in Montana almost all of my life. The list of questions you have is long and indicates you are looking ahead, that is a good thing. The power grid is pretty good here in south central Montana. My biggest complaint about Montana is that when ever the state, city , or schools need money they go after the property owner. There is no sales tax in Montana, now good or bad that means tourists pay no tax in Montana to help pay for various services our state provides. The snow issue seems to change from one year to the next, the western part of the state does seem to get more snow that us in south central Montana. PTHOR has given you some sage information. I would suggest you visit both areas and compare the pros and the cons of each area. You could also visit various websites and get more legal info as to Montana. I would suggest you search Montana Code Annotated website as well as Montana DOJ website. I would only suggest you be prepared for the cold as it can get a bit cool here at times in the winter. Temps below zero are not unusual but it is the wind that really cuts to the bone. Good luck and try to find a location with water, as my dad always said "if you got good water, you got it all"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westy39 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 PM
I didn't do it !

Howdy westy39,
Thankya much for the info. Sounds like your dad was a smart man.
I've done some reading & visited both states. Even read some web pages but what's written down isn't always how it works which is why I'm asking to hear from the people that live there. The "Montana Code Annotated" is a new one on me which I will be looking it up.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:58 PM
I didn't do it !

How is the AT&T service north & west of Missoula?
Mineral & Sanders counties.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,590 Times in 5,599 Posts

Quote:
How is the AT&T service north & west of Missoula?
Verizon has been the champ here for awhile. But I get a good signal from my house from the tower in town on At&T (I swapped in a T-Mobile sim card to try it out, and I got AT&T very well - my T-Mobile sim card was roaming on AT&T).

So it just depends on whether there is a tower around, and there are a lot of places where there aren't. And whether mountains are in the way. It can get spotty along I-90, and if you get far enough from a town, you'll lose signal. The country is wide open here, and that's a good thing, but it's a trade-off.

There was a town around here that was served by AT&T, most of the residents dropped their landlines (very common) and then AT&T pulled out of that town and left them stranded. So I don't know what to say. That was a few years ago.

When I searched for property to buy, the #1 constraint was that I could get a cell phone signal.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 PM

Gun laws in Montana are for the most part pretty lax.. You can conceal in the majority of the state without a permit except in certain counties and cities. Open carry is legal everywhere except the obvious exceptions. I carry 99.9% of the time and never have issues. You can carry a gun in your vehicle open or concealed.

We live in the Garnet range east of Missoula. (granite county) Land is cheap, beautiful, and lots of wildlife to go around.

Jobs are scarce and the ones that are there hardly pay enough to support a family. But if you're frugal and want a life living with just the essentials , it's a great place to be. We live off grid and have decent cell service (Verizon rules in our country) but you get too far off the beaten path, forget about it!
Snowfall can be diverse.. A couple years ago we barely had enough to cover the ground all winter but the year before that we got 38 inches in 36 hours! This year I believe will be a pretty intense winter!
Riding a quad or horse doesn't get much better than where we live and where you're looking. No telling how many thousands of miles of logging trails to explore on! All of western Montana is a great place to be. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to OffGridMT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 AM
My kingdom for a doughnut

I just moved here myself.. well about 3 and a half weeks ago. We're in the Helena area at the moment. I know this is not the best looking part of the state but wow is it pretty. I have no confirmed info to add except what my neighbor and co-workers tell me. Pretty just lines up with what's been said already in this thread. Winter is cold, at the higher elevations it's pretty much windy all the time, so yeah in winter that's going to suck. Snowfall is irregular. I have to wait until next spring/summer for my residency period to be up so honestly I have not dove into the myriad of FWP rules and regulations just yet. Although where we are, we regularly see whitetail, mulies and elk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skeer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 04:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,427 Times in 575 Posts

So when you are cutting firewood... what are you cutting. I'm assuming there aren't a lot of oak up there. Burning pine and other evergreens isn't good practice really, so what are you cutting and burning?

NGH
Old 10-27-2016, 08:09 AM
~pthor~

Pine & Evergreen !

They burn great especially the Tamarack when you can find one on your wood search.

Fir trees also burn great.

As for pine, it's sappy but, if you add it when the fire is hot, it burns much better without the build up (So they say)...
Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 AM
I say I say

Thanked 1,571 Times in 597 Posts

Pm me. I live in missoula and have since 2003.
The Following User Says Thank You to munik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 4,105 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
So when you are cutting firewood... what are you cutting. I'm assuming there aren't a lot of oak up there. Burning pine and other evergreens isn't good practice really, so what are you cutting and burning?

NGH
Obviously I'm not a Montanan, but I had to chime in at this comment.

What makes you think that burning pine and spruce isn't good practice? Do you realize that in all the coldest regions of the world (Alaska, Canada, Scandinavia being three prime examples) pine and spruce is the vast majority of what they burn, because it's the vast majority of what grows?

Those fancy hardwoods don't grow in really cold climates, but the really cold climates have more people burning wood (obviously) than the more temperate climates where hardwoods flourish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 02:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,427 Times in 575 Posts

Just always heard that the pine and evergreen type trees put out too much sap/creosote and cause chimney fires.

I have no experience with this. In Oklahoma we had plenty of oak. In Texas we burned oak and mesquite. In Germany... we only burn fires for aesthetics and they are hard wood. Not sure what kind it is, we just order by the cubic meter and they deliver split hardwood. But legally I have to have the chimney cleaned yearly so for the few small fires we have it isn't an issue.

And no, I didn't realize that the northern countries were burning that much pine. I don't know WHAT they are burning. That's why I asked. If I knew that answer... I wouldn't have asked.

NGH
The Following User Says Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 4,105 Times in 1,204 Posts

You can cause a chimney fire with anything if you're careless.

I'll wager there's more softwoods like that burned worldwide than hardwood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhogleg View Post
Pine & Evergreen !

They burn great especially the Tamarack when you can find one on your wood search.

Fir trees also burn great.

As for pine, it's sappy but, if you add it when the fire is hot, it burns much better without the build up (So they say)...
Same here: mostly pine and Douglas Fir, Tamarack when I can find it. I usually save the Tamarack for building with. It's the best wood for burning, but for building, it's hard like oak and very rot resistant. The beams that hold up my 270 gallon water storage tank in the attic are 4"x8" Tamarack, cut on my sawmill.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridMT View Post
...A couple years ago we barely had enough to cover the ground all winter but the year before that we got 38 inches in 36 hours! This year I believe will be a pretty intense winter!...
Mmmm yeah, me too. I won't forget that winter - it got down to 30 below and I was living in a camper! I had to keep water in the refrigerator or it would freeze. In the morning when I woke up the dogs water bowl was frozen solid.

But I've been here 10 years and that was the only time it got that cold.

If all this rain we've been getting was snow? We'd already have 4 feet on the ground. I've got a feeling it's going to get deep this winter!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 PM
~pthor~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Same here: mostly pine and Douglas Fir, Tamarack when I can find it. I usually save the Tamarack for building with. It's the best wood for burning, but for building, it's hard like oak and very rot resistant. The beams that hold up my 270 gallon water storage tank in the attic are 4"x8" Tamarack, cut on my sawmill.

I didn't know that it was so good to build with or that it's rot resistant.. Thanx
Old 10-31-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhogleg View Post
I didn't know that it was so good to build with or that it's rot resistant.. Thanx
I've bent many a nail in Tamarack boards! Cursing my ass off the whole time! And yes, rot resistant. Compared to Fir or definitely pine. It's good stuff. The same reason it makes good firewood is what makes it good to build with - it's very dense. Much heavier too, as I'm sure you know if you've toted Tamarack logs around. Very strong also when making beams. If you'll notice, Tamarack stumps last a LOT longer before rotting than pine or fir stumps.

Although technically, in NW Montana they aren't truly Tamarack. Some species of Western Larch, but we all call them Tamarack.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post: