Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it time to rethink Ammo storage? (Very Long-term Storage) 9111315 Firearms General Discussion 74 11-20-2017 10:47 AM
Who here uses online storage, cloud storage or online apps? tankman1989 The Tech Zone 22 08-03-2015 08:34 AM
Batteries...long-term viability in storage/after storage Unobtanium Military Weapons Forum 0 05-04-2015 10:01 AM
Ideas for SUV storage, including secure long gun storage mrstang01 Vehicles & Transportation 16 03-11-2015 11:54 PM
detached storage building for food storage lone star defender Food and water 6 08-07-2014 05:41 PM
Are there books/websites on long term food storage/supply storage and shelf life ??? tuvalu Food and water 22 01-14-2013 05:18 PM
January Special Ready Rack (for Food Storage and 72 hr Kit Storage) 40% Off NovaReady For Sale 0 01-04-2013 02:54 PM
Prepping: Long term storage food from Canneries and short term storage discussion. sharpie443 Food and water 7 06-13-2012 10:29 AM
Apartment storage unit for water storage. covconv Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 07-08-2011 01:19 PM
Question regarding legal amounts of food storage and ammo storage.... bamajew General Discussion 30 12-09-2010 05:00 PM

Old 03-24-2015, 12:09 AM

Default Storage of Value

Advertise Here

Other than PM, what might be a good way to store value Apocalypse or not?

For example, PMs will be of value before and after the event. I could sell my PM any time before and use it as barter after.

What other methods of storing value might be considered.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 AM

Ammo

Farm land
The Following User Says Thank You to Idaho Homesteader For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 01:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 73,278 Times in 22,588 Posts

It varries by time your asking the question, and how long you intend to hold.

Right now, if I were sitting on a pile of cash i didnt have a purpose for,more than an emergency fund:

Silver and AR parts, perhaps mags also.

Ammo WHEN BOUGHT RIGHT is another. (last year at this time I dropped $11k into 5.45 just after the ban/before the price increases.)

Guns have the issue of it being illegal to "deal" in them.

Couple AR's and cheap Glocks couldn't hurt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 8,804 Times in 2,956 Posts

No "thing" stores value.
Value is relative.
The function of a money token is to pass value to a future trade, when barter is insufficient. Money cannot "store" value. Money is useless if there is nothing for sale.
Money madness is the reason we're in the current predicament.
Good luck.

. . .
But back to the original question:
A man with a year's supply of money will not outlive a man with a year's supply of food. A man with two year's supply of food is far richer than most paper billionaires.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,184 Posts

Medicine and spices. There was a time salt was worth its weight in gold, and plenty of medicines these days are worth well beyond their weight in gold.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertzie View Post
Medicine and spices. There was a time salt was worth its weight in gold, and plenty of medicines these days are worth well beyond their weight in gold.
Generally the DEA frouns upon "unlicensed pharmacists"
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,072 Times in 573 Posts

Hookers, meth......
The Following User Says Thank You to Bytor325 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,974 Times in 2,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I used to be an amateur pharmacist and unlicensed practicing gynecologist.

Both got me in trouble...can you believe it? ....and it was all for personal business.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
In this kind of situation, I imagine the DEA would have more important things to deal with than someone doling out aspirins.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,758 Times in 8,593 Posts

Depends on what aspect of storage you're shooting for. There's the concept that some ivy league entitled brats call "fungibility". Then there's liquidity. In a nutshell, are you looking to store value that is liable to track inflation, beat inflation, or is quite easily exchanged for something else? Depends on what your goals are.

I know a guy who says footwear. Everyone needs shoes or boots.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 PM

Medicine, salt and spices, etc. are great after the apocalyptic event but not something you can easily get your value from before an event. In other words, 25 lbs. of salt would be very desirable after but hard to sell before.

I'm looking for something, other than PM, that one could sell before and barter after.

I'm beginning to think firearms and ammo might be the ticket. I could sell them at a gun show if I needed the cash now and would bring a lot of value in barter after.

BTW, thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertzie View Post
In this kind of situation, I imagine the DEA would have more important things to deal with than someone doling out aspirins.
You missed something important:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plogank View Post
Other than PM, what might be a good way to store value Apocalypse or not?

For example, PMs will be of value before and after the event. I could sell my PM any time before and use it as barter after.

What other methods of storing value might be considered.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plogank View Post
Medicine, salt and spices, etc. are great after the apocalyptic event but not something you can easily get your value from before an event. In other words, 25 lbs. of salt would be very desirable after but hard to sell before.

I'm looking for something, other than PM, that one could sell before and barter after.

I'm beginning to think firearms and ammo might be the ticket. I could sell them at a gun show if I needed the cash now and would bring a lot of value in barter after.

BTW, thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.
Very few things that have value now will have value post-shtf, and most things that will have value post-shtf don't have much value right now.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 63,284 Times in 8,966 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Just about everything that fits the category that has been mentioned, and that I can think of, could be vulnerable to governmental controls and restrictions, if not outright banning and confiscation.

There could be something that will not be, but usually, if something has value, and there is a crisis of some sort, the government will want to control it in some way.

My point is not to give up and not try, but to, like almost all things that have a financial aspect (and many that do not), diversify. Do not put all you money and trust in just one type of item. Obtain now and store various amounts of several different items that fit the bill. If one is controlled, perhaps one of the others will not.

As to the actual question as to how to store value, I would have to say owning, or having some type of influential/controlling interest in a working farm (or several) would be one of the things that would hold value. The ability to feed people is always going to have value. But do not let this change the diversification idea. Governments have seized food and farms from people before for the 'public good'.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,836 Posts

While I think tillable land with water is a great investment, we can't forget about the taxes....and the ability for those taxes to rise. As Jerry mentioned too, governments can come after land one way or another....

In the current situation, I don't see ammunition being a had hedge. It is pretty easy to acquire, has a long shelf life, is in demand, and is fairly easy to sell. I don't see the ammunition situation getting much better in the next few years. I have a feeling the next POTUS election will cause another big run no matter how it shakes out in the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:24 PM

You might not be able to get your money out of it fast but it would provide a steady income -- a small town convenience store or farm store.

Or start a small on-line military surplus or outdoor gear store.

You could buy bulk supplies cheap and constantly rotate them.

I own two small businesses and consider the inventory as part of my preps if needed.