Legal to Conceal Carry Auto Knife in Va and Assisted Opening - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tac Force TF-705GY Tact. Assisted Opening Folding Knife 4.5" Closed - $7.20 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 04-07-2015 04:49 PM
$12 for an FT 485 Assisted opening Knife, Tan Color GearHog GearHog 0 04-05-2015 02:00 AM
Tac Force TF-705GY Tactical Assisted Opening Folding Knife - $7.90 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 03-10-2015 10:03 AM
Kershaw Asset Assisted Opening Speed Safe Knife - $14.75 + FSSS* apps47inc For Sale 0 06-14-2012 10:28 PM
Which assisted opening knife is the strongest? FloridaState Knives, Swords & Axes 39 09-10-2010 01:27 PM
Assisted opening rbdeans Knives, Swords & Axes 17 03-04-2010 11:35 PM
What is your take on Kershaw Assisted Opening knives? iwannahike475 Knives, Swords & Axes 12 09-22-2009 09:03 PM
US trying to BAN Assisted Opening KNIVES SuvivalDude Knives, Swords & Axes 29 06-25-2009 12:46 PM
Assisted opening. Buck Rush. mangyhyena Knives, Swords & Axes 7 06-08-2008 12:56 AM
Assisted opening catdaddy Knives, Swords & Axes 0 08-28-2007 01:05 PM

Old 10-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Post Legal to Conceal Carry Auto Knife in Va and Assisted Opening

Advertise Here

I was at my local Walmart the other day I bought my first two assisted opening knifes a SOG Trident and a Gerber G-10 Fast Mini Tactical upon talking to a friend he said they had to be open carried I looked on the net and found a lot of conflicting answers on the subject I just dont want to go up to a cop and ask him about it also while I am her are Auto knives legal here in Va I am looking to buy a SOG Spec Elite 2 but if I have to open carry it I dont know if I want it and if I cant carry it all I like to use what I buy I am not into just looking at on a dresser or display case
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM

They're legal, spring assist knives like the trident are kosher as far as I know
The Following User Says Thank You to ESMDHokie77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Default The short and long of it

GunnerGlock,

Short answer: You're fine, carry away.

Long answer: The Virginia laws targeting knives have been the same since I was a little kid. There are really three that apply. The first one creates a list (a ridiculously laughable list) of restricted weapons, the second creates a list of weapons that you can't carry concealed, and the third deals with school property.

The first law, found in Section 18.2-311 of the Code of Virginia prohibits selling or possessing " blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife as defined in 18.2-307.1, or like weapons ". Switchblades are generally defined as having spring-loaded blades that are opened by pressing a button or switch. Assisted-open knives don't really qualify as switchblades. The drawback is that in VA it is usually left up to a judge or jury to determine whether or not your knife qualifies as a switchblade since the VA code doesn't define the term "switchblade".

The second law, found in Section 18.2-308 prohibits carrying certain concealed weapons, to include " any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, ". That one is pretty straightforward.

The third law, found in Section 18.2-309.1, is the only VA law that I have ever been able to find that actually references the length of a blade, and it deals specifically with the possession of items on school property. It lists weapons that are prohibited on school property, and provides the exemption " knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches ". I have heard people say that knives have to be less than 3.5 inches, less than 4 inches, less than the length of your hand, and so on. But this is the only place where I've actually seen a blade's length defined as legal/illegal.

Sorry, that was really long-winded.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Generic Username For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Honestly, I find most knife laws to be a bit ridiculous. I personally EDC a Microtech Ultratech OTF w/ dagger blade and have never had any issues. I've used it openly hundreds of times and nobody gasped and said "Oh my God! He has an illegal knife!" Usually people just want to play with it for a minute. I think that the VA knife laws are simply pieces of paper that are never enforced unless they are to be used in conjunction with something else. Just my humble opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weezul For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Omnes homines resurgere

Thanked 1,798 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezul View Post
...I think that the VA knife laws are simply pieces of paper that are never enforced unless they are to be used in conjunction with something else. Just my humble opinion.
It depends on the County you are in. In Loudoun County the cops aren't interested in dealing with knife statutes unless the knife is used in the commission of a crime.

But if you head west, the story is different. In Clarke County they will be a bit more particular. In Warren County if a knife turns up during a search, they will drag you over the coals. I purchased a set of throwing knives and a tactical tomahawk in Warren, and the friend who was with me made a point of putting the purchases on the dashboard of the car, in the off chance that we were to be pulled over by a cop. I've heard many stories from people I trust about the miseries that can be inflicted by LEOs there.

Long story short, best to follow the law to the letter.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPhoenix13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 10:29 AM

I'm really glad I ran across this thread. A recent transplant to Danville from South Carolina, the laws seemed very confusing concerning knives. Even the open carry gun law seems a bit vague, like where do they want your pistol to be while driving, on the hip or on the dash, seat, floor.....???????? I all seems like a crap shoot to me.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

I open carry in VA. As a rule of thumb I keep my gun in a locked gun box cable attached to the base of my seat in the back. I can reach back if I had to and open in less than a minute. I"ve been stopped a few times for traffic issues. I alwasy let them know up front their is a firearm in the vehicle. they aske me where it is and I tell them in a locked gun valuth behind the seat. I've never had any LEO say anything but thanks for letting me know.
If you'e upfront with them, They pretty much puts them at ease letting them know you have nothing to hide. They appreciate you letting them know. In fact it's gotten me out of a ticket on one occasion.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:23 PM
VIP Member

I've found most VA cops to be pretty reasonable as long as you are polite, follow their instructions, tell them you have a gun in the car and where it is, follow the law as best as you can, and if you have a nice german shephard in the car, they let you off with a warning (mostly because they forget why they stopped and start talking about the dog). They love GSDs.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerGlock View Post
I was at my local Walmart the other day I bought my first two assisted opening knifes a SOG Trident and a Gerber G-10 Fast Mini Tactical upon talking to a friend he said they had to be open carried I looked on the net and found a lot of conflicting answers on the subject I just dont want to go up to a cop and ask him about it also while I am her are Auto knives legal here in Va I am looking to buy a SOG Spec Elite 2 but if I have to open carry it I dont know if I want it and if I cant carry it all I like to use what I buy I am not into just looking at on a dresser or display case
Assisted = legal
Auto = illegal if not police, fire, or rescue
Blade length = trouble

Read: http://www.knifeup.com/virginia-knife-laws/

Their government sees most knives are a Bowie knife, and their enforcers aren't intelligent enough to know what is and is not a Bowie knife. They make it up as they go.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:08 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,682 Times in 14,469 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

In 1982, I was stationed Newport News Virginia. I was pulled over while driving a motorcycle, they said that I went through a traffic light when it was yellow. As they were examining my papers and my bike. One cop saw that I had a knife sheath on my belt, I was immediately arrested.

They said that the Commonwealth of Virginia had a law against concealing a knife, and since my knife was in a sheath it's blade was concealed.

They also said that the incorporation of NewportNews had a law against displaying a knife, and since my knife handle was visible it was being displayed.

So I was with concealing and displaying a knife. The next day they let me out of the cell to see the judge where I was fined $100 or a week in jail. I paid the $100 fine.

Back at work they said I was just being hassled for being a sailor on the beach.

It was a fixed blade knife with a 3" blade. I was an Electronic Tech stationed on a sub, in the shipyard, going through an overhaul. We did lot of dressing electrical cables for my systems on the sub.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:11 PM
Suburban Legend

Thanked 116,124 Times in 16,710 Posts

For anyone interested, here's what the Virginia Code says...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-307.1
18.2-307.1. Definitions.
"Ballistic knife" means any knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-283
18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308
18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1
The exemptions set out in 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school; or (viii) an armed security officer, licensed pursuant to Article 4 ( 9.1-138 et seq.) of Chapter 1 of Title 9.1, hired by a private or religious school for the protection of students and employees as authorized by such school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-311
18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife as defined in 18.2-307.1, or like weapons, such person is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

You can search the COV here: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm
Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 PM

This questions has come up at the VA Gun forum and the answers vary.

The knife laws arent as clear as the gun laws. Some people seem to think it really depends on where you are, and what your doing. Meaning if youre in the woods, hiking or happen to go into a Home Depot looking like youre working on your property, wearing a knife open, most people wont give it a second thought.

If you walk into the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema with a Kabar on your hip, youre likely to panic some people and can expect the police.

Speaking of Kabars, someone there said he walked around with one on him open for years and never had a problem.

And yea, cops down there really do seem to love German Shepherds.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,968 Times in 2,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
In 1982, I was stationed Newport News Virginia. I was pulled over while driving a motorcycle, they said that I went through a traffic light when it was yellow. As they were examining my papers and my bike. One cop saw that I had a knife sheath on my belt, I was immediately arrested.

They said that the Commonwealth of Virginia had a law against concealing a knife, and since my knife was in a sheath it's blade was concealed.

They also said that the incorporation of NewportNews had a law against displaying a knife, and since my knife handle was visible it was being displayed.

So I was with concealing and displaying a knife. The next day they let me out of the cell to see the judge where I was fined $100 or a week in jail. I paid the $100 fine.

Back at work they said I was just being hassled for being a sailor on the beach.

It was a fixed blade knife with a 3" blade. I was an Electronic Tech stationed on a sub, in the shipyard, going through an overhaul. We did lot of dressing electrical cables for my systems on the sub.
I'm a LEO for that city. When were you pulled over? As in what year? We have some douche bag officers, however, I haven't met any that pull for yellow lights (even though you technically CAN) and I haven't met any that would arrest for a knife carried as you describe.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 PM

Default I have a Va.conceal carry permit

So I can conceal carry anything! Right?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:58 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,682 Times in 14,469 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
I'm a LEO for that city. When were you pulled over? As in what year? We have some douche bag officers, however, I haven't met any that pull for yellow lights (even though you technically CAN) and I haven't met any that would arrest for a knife carried as you describe.
In theory things may have changed since then, it happened to me in 1982.

Every four years my security clearance had to be re-investigated. They always asked me about any arrests and convictions. I have had to detail that incident many times. Though it never stopped me from holding TS and crypto clearances, until I retired in 2001.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post: