My own SHTF - laid off, depression, search, found job - SHTF over. Piece of Cake - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found a very useful little welder for SHTF. Lord Humongous Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 05-10-2015 11:09 AM
what do y'all think is the most overrated piece of "survival/shtf" gear? jim.schot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 587 02-14-2014 05:25 PM
Depression when SHTF timgago Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 56 05-09-2013 10:53 PM
Yellow Cake found in libya! johndoe007 Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 39 09-30-2011 10:42 AM
Good piece on life during the Great Depression Rights_Of_Man Books, Movies & Stories 0 08-16-2011 09:50 PM
Search and Rescue Tools and Skills Post SHTF MidWestDisappearance Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 05-22-2011 09:10 AM
Depression: Will be a real issue after a SHTF scenario survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 03-23-2011 12:16 AM
I just found my shtf vehicle!!!! sniperfx General Discussion 17 10-18-2010 08:41 AM
I found my SHTF shotgun narrowpath11 Shotgun Forum 12 11-17-2009 02:09 PM
Need book about depression and similar US SHTF sailinghudson25 Books, Movies & Stories 4 01-20-2009 09:39 PM

Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,601 Times in 17,049 Posts
Cool My own SHTF - laid off, depression, search, found job - SHTF over. Piece of Cake

Advertise Here

End of May of last year. I was laid off.
Monster Corporation "added customers" the only way they can - bought competition and their customers. They bought the small efficient company I chose to join years ago..."Everything will stay the same." (Until it changes) Got a cush severance package. (Hard earned)

Severance package ran out end of Aug last year.
Began collecting "Unemployment Insurance" that I qualified for because of my work history. Started a job search. Steady, but not that intensive.

Last Tuesday
Collected last Unemployment check.

Yesterday
I was offered and accepted a new job offer. I've been interviewing, conference calling, and "doing lunches" for FOUR WEEKS to finally get an offer. Great job. Gonna love it. I have savings that will remain untouched. Used the standard unemployment insurance benefit that I qualified for by working for a specific period. Searched for and found a new and better job.

SHTF hits...is dealt with...and is now over.

It's been a terrible 6 months. I've had plenty of time to simmer and let my inner demons and stress rip away at my insides. Drank a lot. Angry typed on here a few times. Got slapped by the mods a few times. (Sorry again)

**** Happens - It happened to me. I was financially prepared for it but could not have predicted the deep rooted psychological hell I would be tossed into. I did not post a thread on here asking for advice. I dealt with it. And now its over and done with. This is my very first post about what I've been working through for the past 9 months. It may surprise many of you who have come to enjoy my sense of humor and unique perspective on things, that I have been in mental hell for the past 6 months but was still here - chattin' away and smilin'

The moral of this long-winded story?

Life is a battle. Sometimes you find yourself left alone on the "mental battle field.". You fight and overcome, and live to laugh another day. Stay strong, and have faith...

...in your own mind, strength, and abilities.

Cheers! And enjoy the ride.

...and thank you all for keeping me company through my many continuing adventures.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,309 Times in 3,374 Posts

Congratulations on your new adventures to come!

And happy that you battled your demons and made it through basically unscathed..
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 45,734 Times in 10,560 Posts

Good for you!

You know, life always happens. Sounds like you were somewhat prepared, except for maybe the mental/psychological aspects of it but those will soon go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,358 Posts

Great to hear the story and gratz on hanging in there and overcoming hardship..(much of which was surely mental stress) You are correct…perseverance in the face of hardship is the essence of survival. Humans have the capacity to overcome the most difficult and challenging circumstances, and mental stressors are often just as deadly as physical ones.
Once again…congratulations and enjoy your new life!
The Following User Says Thank You to rabiddog9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM

I have been working again for the past 9 months after being laid off for 2 1/2 years. Had to take S S early. It's really hard to even get an interview when you are 63-65 years old. What I am saying is that I fully understand about the mental aspect about long term unemployment. This of course doesn't apply to all of the Progressive moochers out there. I am glad you are working again. It feels good doesn't it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oregon Miner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Reb.... and Proud Of It!

Congratulations, for a battle well fought. Hopefully the war is over.
The Following User Says Thank You to helland bach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
PPG flyer

Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,402 Posts

And NOW very soon, the real SHTF!
And you will be wishing that you were back in time,with yer little shtf.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aubb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Sickle Clown

Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,583 Posts

Good luck on your new job.
The Following User Says Thank You to neptunetrace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Gone Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Miner View Post
I have been working again for the past 9 months after being laid off for 2 1/2 years. Had to take S S early. It's really hard to even get an interview when you are 63-65 years old. What I am saying is that I fully understand about the mental aspect about long term unemployment. This of course doesn't apply to all of the Progressive moochers out there. I am glad you are working again. It feels good doesn't it?
Epic. Took the family out for a big celebratory dinner tonight. Feels like I'm actually in better health. Like my lungs work better...hard to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helland bach View Post
Congratulations, for a battle well fought. Hopefully the war is over.
Just this battle. Only one way that War ends...and "Not Yet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubb View Post
And NOW very soon, the real SHTF!
And you will be wishing that you were back in time,with yer little shtf.
One crappy day at a time. Baby steps.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
What, me worry?

Thanked 4,915 Times in 1,781 Posts

Glad to hear you have a job. I have been through the layoff thing. Personally, I prefer dental surgery.

Just a heads-up. The demons may still lurk around you. You may find yourself with some self-doubt or a slight bit (or more) concern about getting laid-off again. Just smile and work through it. Do a good job and you will be fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,016 Posts

Good! Now you can start paying income tax again. I wish everyone would find a job.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Sickle Clown

Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,583 Posts

[QUOTE=Operator6;Good! Now you can start paying income tax again. I wish everyone would find a job.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the lottery winners in the White house depend on it.

But they won't act like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to neptunetrace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Gone Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator6 View Post
Good! Now you can start paying income tax again. I wish everyone would find a job.
After 15 some odd years of "paying my share," I felt perfectly justified in collecting what my current home State said was available - 6 months of "unemployment Insurance Assistance."

And it was extremely helpful as an emergency and temporary "buffer"

I had another 6 months of "normal living" plus an additional 2 months of "tight belt" living before things went South. But my savings is very hard built, and I don't want to dent it this early in my life.

...now back to working hard to allow others to waste money.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Well here is my personal SHTF, Lost job in April, took off 2 months then started looking again, old boss told me to apply to new contract, I should be picked up and back to work by end of July. July comes and goes and I here nothing. Call my buddy ask what's going on with job, he informs me that they are cutting staff at job site, so job is not happening. Old boss tells me September, oops forgot to tell ya...sorry. So I start dropping applications like crazy. Get 2 interviews in January (for jobs I applied to in November) both jobs tells me they will let me know after they finish interviews, One jobs doesn't start till March/April. 2nd job tells me that they will let me know next week if I get second interview.

So know I am beyond broke and still dropping apps.

But I know something good will come along, just the waiting stinks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NorthernTransplant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Gone Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplant View Post
Well here is my personal SHTF, Lost job in April, took off 2 months then started looking again, old boss told me to apply to new contract, I should be picked up and back to work by end of July. July comes and goes and I here nothing. Call my buddy ask what's going on with job, he informs me that they are cutting staff at job site, so job is not happening. Old boss tells me September, oops forgot to tell ya...sorry. So I start dropping applications like crazy. Get 2 interviews in January (for jobs I applied to in November) both jobs tells me they will let me know after they finish interviews, One jobs doesn't start till March/April. 2nd job tells me that they will let me know next week if I get second interview.

So know I am beyond broke and still dropping apps.

But I know something good will come along, just the waiting stinks.

Maybe you will believe me when I say - I know what you are goin' through.

Fight on and harder. Just one single app will bite hard, and you will back on the tracks.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,016 Posts

Nothing derogatory was meant. You see the point that now your working the machine is being fed for another guy who may need help.

I'm glad you don't need it......I'm sure you ultimately were not happy about having to apply for it. Congratulations on your new job.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
PPG flyer

Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,402 Posts

It will only get better now,no matter what happens.
It's only a state of mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aubb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Gone Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator6 View Post
Nothing derogatory was meant. You see the point that now your working the machine is being fed for another guy who may need help.

I'm glad you don't need it......I'm sure you ultimately were not happy about having to apply for it. Congratulations on your new job.
Was not snappin' at ya.

The 6 months of Unemployment cash I just collected was the very first (and last if I have my way) "assistance" I had to collect.

Happy about it?

Yes - It was very helpful
No - I prefer to be independent

So yes and no...the best recipe for a jacked up mental state.

I should add that I'm one class away from a Psychology degree. (Would be my 2nd) But I got sick of College and needed out. I graduated at the end of a full summer session so it would have meant another full semester...nope. So I understand the psychological levels of acceptance and symptoms of depression. Oddly enough, knowing what's happening in your own mind does not necessarily mean you can stop it...maybe just that you can...survive it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM
present and accounted for

Thanked 9,922 Times in 3,053 Posts

Grev, you're a mans man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wall*e For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Thinker

Thanked 1,393 Times in 628 Posts

Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out for you.

Moral of the story is, never hurts to be prepared for whatever comes up. It doesn't have to be the end of THE world to be the end of your world if you aren't prepared.

I "lost" my job 12 years ago, started my own company and never looked back. Owning your own business, there are always good months and lean months, and having something set aside for those lean months is never a bad idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prepgal For This Useful Post: