Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Edible wild weeds & plants SherrySmith Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 20 10-31-2017 10:11 PM
Edible Wild Plants Section kev Edible & Non-Edible Plants 160 03-06-2016 12:15 PM
Edible Texas (& other states) plants -06 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 07-12-2013 06:57 PM
Edible wild plants in Florida? khdeals Edible & Non-Edible Plants 20 10-03-2011 07:37 PM
Edible Wild Plants of Hawaii moatwog Edible & Non-Edible Plants 1 03-20-2011 04:08 PM
Best Guide to Edible Wild plants? Claywms Edible & Non-Edible Plants 29 08-19-2009 09:13 PM
Edible and Medicinal Wild Plants of Western USA proctor Edible & Non-Edible Plants 7 07-17-2009 12:26 PM
Knowledge of edible wild plants is important Mullenite Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 07-16-2008 03:46 PM
Edible Wild Plants AAPEXX Edible & Non-Edible Plants 16 03-13-2008 03:29 PM

Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM

Default States with best selection of wild edible plants?

Advertise Here

Which states have the most wild edible plants and which states are lacking as far as variety goes? Does anyone have any links to sites which provide information on the different edible plants found across North America?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 03:36 AM
I love this forum

I would suggest getting a book about edible plants and take a nature walk. Also knowing where the edible plants are at your Bol is valuable sorry I didn't take a grab at your real question didn't wanna spark some silly argument but since I'm from Texas I would say Texas as most and Maine as the least but I don't know just a random stab at your question
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,942 Times in 4,250 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Interesting question... it depend upon the definition. As you go north there are less edible plants but also less toxic ones. In the artice circle nearly everything that grows is edible, though not too palatable. As you go towards the equator you not only have more species but also more toxic ones. That's one point.

If you study past and current hunter gatherers they get about 64% of their energy from things that move and 36% from plants. So if the issue is survival rather than just plant edibility then availablity of game is also a factor.

Warm climates offer foraging year round including starchy staples, the most important wild edible plants from a survival point of view. One can also garden year round in warm climates, and find animals as well. I would recommend the gulf states and Hawaii. Personally if I have to move from where I am at -- central Florida -- I would go to southwest Florida. Warm year round, gardening year round, foraging year round, hunting year round, water year round.

Besides food and water survival includes how much energy is spent keeping alive from the elements. I prefer to accommodate a hot summer than a cold winter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM
USArmy Vietnam Vet 70-73

Florida has a whole book on edible plants? Don't know where that puts us?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Prepared

I vote California....for our super-diverse ecosystems...we have everything, seaside, desert, Mountians, wetlands....but we also have tons of people and crazy laws about said vegetation.

Best learn about the plants in your region first!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 AM

the ozarks has plent of sassafras.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:01 PM

I live in Texas and we have a pretty diverse selection of wild edibles. This is my go to site for info on wild edibles.

www.foragingtexas.com
Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Camperius maximus

Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,140 Posts

I live in Oklahoma and gone many 3-4 day "sabbaticals" with no food just my pocket tool and cordage, sometimes a tarp. I have never gone a full day without food.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Save a life; carry a gun.

Thanked 1,000 Times in 384 Posts

Natives of the Kalahari Desert, a harsh environment where agriculture is impossible, use more than eighty species of wild plants. With the exception of deep forest or sand dunes there doesn't seem to be anyplace without sufficient wild plants to sustain life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Horn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 PM

We have sassafras in Ga. tried to make sassafras tea when I was a kid. Didn't do that but once. Either I didn't get it right or it's not good??
Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Are we there yet?

Hawaii!

Definitely Hawaii.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,226 Posts

If people lived there before agriculture, it has what you need. You just need to learn it.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 PM
Bugged out already

Thanked 7,730 Times in 2,994 Posts

Alaska is loaded with edible and medicinal plants, berries, mushrooms, etc. While the growing season is short, they are abundant when in season. If you know what you are doing, you can preserve enough to last you the year.

Lots of books and publications on the subject. The plants vary by region.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...utheast_Alaska

https://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wild-Plants-Edible-Harvest/dp/0882409387
Old 11-01-2017, 05:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,539 Times in 1,077 Posts

Zone 6b Kentucky, 30 miles from the confluence of the Ohio & Mississippi rivers.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 PM

+1 for Hawaii. My last visit, we snacked on dozens of wild edibles. We stayed in the woods and counted 11 different wild fruits within 500 feet.

Northern California is pretty good as well. I snack constantly when I hike. I even end up snacking on wild "volunteer" plants in our backyard. This week I discovered a tasty wild radish there. The flower buds and young leaves are delicious. Wild blackberries are also ripe this week.

Recently got together with a naturalist at a nearby state park who took us on a hike. He showed us over 20 edibles. We took many back and made lunch.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,834 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj13 View Post
the ozarks has plent of sassafras.
I've catalogued (not necessarly seen) over 140 edible species of plants in Arkansas. The USDA plant database is a good resource and you can filter by state. It won't tell you which plants are edible, only if they are found in your state and the distribution by county.

The Foraging Texas website is also an excellent resource. The webmaster is an experienced forager and has catalogued over 100 edible species that grow in Texas. He includes numerous pictures for identification as well as details on which parts are edible and how to cook them. Over half the plants listed on his website are found in Arkansas and I would assume many are found in other neighboring states.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 AM

Narrowing it down to a state might not be the best way to look at things. Just because something grows in the same state doesn't mean it grows anywhere near where you are. California has both desert and Alpine tundra...not gonna find much in common between those two biomes.

Off hand, I'd guess that parts of North Carolina, Tennessee and Missouri probably have the conditions most favorable to the widest variety of native and introduced species. It gets just cool enough for many northern species, but rarely so cold that it kills off less cold tolerant species, and a short distance traveled can give one just enough change in altitude to make things even more favorable.

That said, there aren't many places I can go here in Michigan that I don't see at least a few things around me that I know I can eat.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:11 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,189 Times in 9,940 Posts

Anywhere in the Tropical south (south/southeast)
Old 04-04-2019, 11:54 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,681 Times in 14,469 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Any region that experiences drought must be stricken from consideration.

A region could have 100 different native plants that can all be eaten but if it is so dry that it takes 1,000 acres to sustain those 100 plants. You are not going to honestly say that you can range over that entire area to harvest those 100 plants.

Places that are not drought-prone have water readily available and tend to have lush dense forests. What might require a 1,000 acres somewhere else could be done in one acre here.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post: