If you want to hunt small game post SHTF, you may want to Predator hunt/trap Pre SHTF - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will hunt deer with bow for my first hunt ever, bad idea? NewYorkNewbie Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 27 02-22-2016 11:58 AM
Nothing left to hunt, fish or trap? manisonenmi Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 125 07-26-2013 06:42 AM
Head of CA Fish and Game may lose job for a Legal hunt in ID britzen General Discussion 39 03-04-2012 08:52 AM
Anyone hunt or trap nutria? SolomonGrundy Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 0 10-20-2011 01:45 PM
New File Added: Big Game From Hunt To Home kilounit Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 05-14-2011 02:47 PM
Using the Slingshot to Hunt Big Game Mainstreet American Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 04-23-2011 09:53 PM
Morning small game hunt d5nuke Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 12-25-2010 12:22 AM
Anyone hunt small game with a dog?? hound Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 17 12-11-2010 06:08 AM
New File Added: Big Game Animals from Hunt to Home grog Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 0 01-17-2010 09:03 AM
Does anyone trap or hunt by me? chrissy British Isles and ROI 2 08-16-2009 02:30 PM

Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
"Nothing is over!"

Default If you want to hunt small game post SHTF, you may want to Predator hunt/trap Pre SHTF

Advertise Here

I'm always reading posts about people who plan to hunt small game after SHTF. I don't see much about keeping the predator population down. Where I live there seems to be more pedators now, than in the past such as coyotes, fox, and bobcats. Too many house cats can also decrease small game population.

If you hunt or trap these predators, learn the proper skinning techniques and sale the hides to make more money for more preps.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Rambo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,081 Times in 4,605 Posts

You know, that pretty much goes for anything.

"If you want to Fish, Start doing it now".

But when ever a Real Survivalist says that you can't Read a book on how to ride a bike nor buy a gun that will magically transfer you into knowing, someone then calls you an Elitist. Or Defensively marginalize you, as opposed to their weaknesses.

It's like a (D word I cant use, meaning Penis) Measuring contest you didn't start. Then when you pull out yours, they get mad and attempt to insult you until you put the monster away.

Farming isn't bloody easy people! You can't just do it, when you have to. It takes a **** load of doing it wrong before you get it right. Then you have to store it, and preserve it.

I have ranted on and on before, about your need for Dirt time. The art of doing, and learning from your experiences or mistakes.

We aren't in competition! John Rambo is simply saying, Skills are acquired not bought. Stop getting defensive when we try to bloody say you can't simplify this!!! If it wont bloody work, we aren't interjecting to embarrass you, but to be real. To save you time, because we (possibly foolishly) assume this is equally real to you!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Hunter-gatherer

Thanked 2,243 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
You know, that pretty much goes for anything.

"If you want to Fish, Start doing it now".

But when ever a Real Survivalist says that you can't Read a book on how to ride a bike nor buy a gun that will magically transfer you into knowing, someone then calls you an Elitist. Or Defensively marginalize you, as opposed to their weaknesses.

It's like a (D word I cant use, meaning Penis) Measuring contest you didn't start. Then when you pull out yours, they get mad and attempt to insult you until you put the monster away.

Farming isn't bloody easy people. You can't just do it, when you have to. It takes a **** load of doing it wrong before you get it right.

Bugging out isn't easy. You can't spend money to get what you need, you need dirt time. Getting home is even harder.

This isn't a bloody game, and we aren't in competition! John Rambo is simply saying, Skills are acquired not bought. Stop getting defensive when we try to bloody say you can't simplify this!!! If it wont bloody work, we aren't interjecting to embarrass you, but to be real.

This is exactly why I started hunting years ago. I knew I'd have to do it some day and I wanted to know how when the time came, not start learning at that time. It's the same reason I'm kicking myself for not starting my garden last year. I'd have a year at it under my belt already. It's much better to make the mistakes when you have the luxury of not needing it. Once TSHTF and all the supermarkets are empty your margin of acceptable-error is much MUCH more narrow.

I agree John. It's getting rid of the 'competition' ahead of time while also giving your future-game a start at multiplying and being more abundant when you need it to be. Makes perfect sense to me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve in Illinois For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,081 Times in 4,605 Posts

Just wanted to add one more thing.

I love new people. I want you always to feel welcomed.

However, some people become extremely defensive when you dare give them a new perspective.

1) Dried noodles aren't enough. They are dried Sodium Factory dust. Unless you are in college you can't live off them and beer alone.
2) Guns don't plow fields. Yes they are important, but with out water you will die.
3) Knowledge weights nothing, but the "stuff" you have probably caps out about 90lbs carry capacity.
4) We joke about zombies, you should too.
5) We don't dress our walls in aluminum foil, however if we did, we would still vote more responsible than most Americans.
6) Yes some people will Raid. It doesn't matter if you will or wont. If you do, I will kill you. If I do, you will kill me.
7) The AK47 is a fine weapon, as is the ar15. They both can kill you, as can a .22 or lime disease. Why worry about which is better, than the one you are most capable with using?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM
"Nothing is over!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Illinois View Post
It's getting rid of the 'competition' ahead of time while also giving your future-game a start at multiplying and being more abundant when you need it to be. Makes perfect sense to me.
This is a good way of putting it.

I could be wrong, but I beleive trapping is becoming a lost skill. Trapping is the most effecient way to thin the predator population. I was lucky enough to have a uncle to learn this skill from.

I also predator hunt at night sometimes. It's exilerating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rambo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Got Preps?

Quote:
Farming isn't bloody easy people! You can't just do it, when you have to. It takes a **** load of doing it wrong before you get it right. Then you have to store it, and preserve it.

I have ranted on and on before, about your need for Dirt time. The art of doing, and learning from your experiences or mistakes. ...

Boy, ain't that the TRUTH!!!! We started canning last year, had some errors along the way and learned from them. This year we had a garden for the first time. Made a ton of mistakes and learned from all of them. I'm just glad I learned those errors now instead of being in a post-SHTF situation and learning my farming skills in a truly life or death situation, because if I had to do it like that, we'd all be starving right now.

We've also have honed our skills of small game hunting without a gun . We've had squirrels getting in the garden and had to 'quietly' get rid of them since we live in a city subdivision.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Hunter-gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
This is a good way of putting it.

I could be wrong, but I beleive trapping is becoming a lost skill. Trapping is the most effecient way to thin the predator population. I was lucky enough to have a uncle to learn this skill from.

I also predator hunt at night sometimes. It's exilerating.
I agree it's becoming a lost-art. Just like so many other things in this 'modern' world. Trapping is one of those things I've always wanted to get into but never had the opportunity. A hunter can only be in one place at a time, but a trapper can have a multitude of traps out there all the time. Trapping would be the best way to feed one's self too I think.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,273 Times in 1,924 Posts

Beaver eats good so does mushrat and groundhog, if hungry enough I bet feral cat could be tasty, there's way more to eat then bunnies and squirrels.

I blame the anti-fur crowd for the explosion of predators; it seems nobody traps fox or coon anymore maybe if it paid more. I still have some traps left from the glory days of trapping but I agree with you predator hunting is something more should be doing and is probably more efficient way to control them now.
The Following User Says Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM
This is a great survival forum

Those that own the land around their Bol need to selectively control all predators on their land. This will allow the animals that you want to breed and be plentiful. You then have to be the control of an over population. This will allow you the practice you need. I have been to a property to kill off all predators. I could not find a rabbit, pheasant, Quial, Grouse, deer on the property. I did in a 3 month period kill off 31 coyote's, 1 mountain lion. The rancher next to this property, allowed me to take 1 black bear and his family took 2 mountain lions and 3 black bears off of his property, he has 1200 acres. This property is backed up to a national forest. The property I hunted was 250 acres and the previous owners would not hunt or allow anyone else to hunt it for over 8 yrs.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to add one more thing.

I love new people. I want you always to feel welcomed.

However, some people become extremely defensive when you dare give them a new perspective.

1) Dried noodles aren't enough. They are dried Sodium Factory dust. Unless you are in college you can't live off them and beer alone.
2) Guns don't plow fields. Yes they are important, but with out water you will die.
3) Knowledge weights nothing, but the "stuff" you have probably caps out about 90lbs carry capacity.
4) We joke about zombies, you should too.
5) We don't dress our walls in aluminum foil, however if we did, we would still vote more responsible than most Americans.
6) Yes some people will Raid. It doesn't matter if you will or wont. If you do, I will kill you. If I do, you will kill me.
7) The AK47 is a fine weapon, as is the ar15. They both can kill you, as can a .22 or lime disease. Why worry about which is better, than the one you are most capable with using?

Awesome..... Seriously.

-Ash
Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Logic is my Super Power

Thanked 1,998 Times in 749 Posts

it's getting bad enough down here that the state is opening up night hunting for wild hogs and coyotes. So, if you want to hone some night skills, come down to the bayou state and practice legally...not sure what the regs are and such but google is your friend.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Target Shooter

I haven't got to go hunting in 3 or 4 years due to things comming up that needed done then. I'm really hopeing I can go this year. When I do get to go I usually get 2 to 5 deer to put in the freezer. If I do get to go I plan on trying to do my own butchering this year on at least a few of them.

I do field dress but never buthered and packedged them. As for a garden. My wife and I plowed up part of the backyard this spring. It was a 25X40 foot area. We got sweet corn, pole beans, Tomatoes, lettuce, bell peppers, brocoli, peas, sugar beets, onions, and potatoes. We've been eating our evening meal the last few days from that garden. What we can't eat fresh I've been putting in the freezer.

I've made mistakes that I hope I don't repeat next year. I'm also doubling the tilled area this fall so I'll be ready in the spring to plant. I have a co-worker that has some horses and cows. She said I was welcome to come over this fall and help muck out the stables and load up as much manure as I want to till into the garden space this fall.

I've also had problems with squrrils rabbits and racoons getting into the garden. I bought a air rifle today to take care of that problem. I'll do it when hunting season starts to stay legal but their will be fewer of them in the spring. It will also add to the stew pot this winter.

If anyone has any other ideas on keeping the freeloaders away from the buffet I would appreciat it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM
"Nothing is over!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel964 View Post

If anyone has any other ideas on keeping the freeloaders away from the buffet I would appreciat it.
The only great ideas are illegal this time of year. However many consider what the freeloaders are doing as crop damage, and secret things have to be done to protect your property. OPSEC is the magic word.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rambo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Hunter-gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel964 View Post
I haven't got to go hunting in 3 or 4 years due to things comming up that needed done then. I'm really hopeing I can go this year. When I do get to go I usually get 2 to 5 deer to put in the freezer. If I do get to go I plan on trying to do my own butchering this year on at least a few of them.

I do field dress but never buthered and packedged them. As for a garden. My wife and I plowed up part of the backyard this spring. It was a 25X40 foot area. We got sweet corn, pole beans, Tomatoes, lettuce, bell peppers, brocoli, peas, sugar beets, onions, and potatoes. We've been eating our evening meal the last few days from that garden. What we can't eat fresh I've been putting in the freezer.

I've made mistakes that I hope I don't repeat next year. I'm also doubling the tilled area this fall so I'll be ready in the spring to plant. I have a co-worker that has some horses and cows. She said I was welcome to come over this fall and help muck out the stables and load up as much manure as I want to till into the garden space this fall.

I've also had problems with squrrils rabbits and racoons getting into the garden. I bought a air rifle today to take care of that problem. I'll do it when hunting season starts to stay legal but their will be fewer of them in the spring. It will also add to the stew pot this winter.

That's what I use to keep them out. Plus, it adds some really good meat to the freezer. When it's legal-season of course.

In the mean time, I put up 2' tall chickenwire fencing and I spray coyote urine around the perimeter and on the stakes holding the chickenwire. It's kept them out for the most part. Another thing I used for a while is a live-trap. I dump them (coons and possums) about a mile from the house on the other side of a nice creek. It'll keep them from coming back and it keeps me from killing anything out of season.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
I'm always reading posts about people who plan to hunt small game after SHTF. I don't see much about keeping the predator population down. Where I live there seems to be more pedators now, than in the past such as coyotes, fox, and bobcats. Too many house cats can also decrease small game population.

If you hunt or trap these predators, learn the proper skinning techniques and sale the hides to make more money for more preps.
Why would anyone post about predator population control? Are you doing anything about it currently? Even if you were to kill every coyote in your county in a 24 hour time frame, within 72 hours, there will be enough coyotes in your county to replace them, for they breed like rabbits and when they realize there is no longer a scent trail left by these animals by rival coyotes, guess what, they migrate, and yes it happens this quickly. With the amount of small game like squirrels and rabbits out there, the meager amounts killed by predators that actually hunt them is miniscule, especially coyotes which are opportunity feeders and their main diet is road kill or left overs from some vulture. The only predator you have to worry about is other humans whom are just trying to feed their families. I see so many people on here "what if-ing" themselves to death that I can conclude with full confidence if something did happen nationally, they wouldnt last a month even if fully prepped.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM

According to the office of enviroment australia there is 12 milloin feral cats in oz does ne 1 want a cat fur jumper, lol, totaly agree with hunting preditors, our local area is over run with wild dogs, dingos, cats and bloody foxes

(Note To Self: call SSAA and Gun licancing dept and c where my licance appy is)
Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
"Nothing is over!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Illinois View Post
That's what I use to keep them out. Plus, it adds some really good meat to the freezer. When it's legal-season of course.

In the mean time, I put up 2' tall chickenwire fencing and I spray coyote urine around the perimeter and on the stakes holding the chickenwire. It's kept them out for the most part. Another thing I used for a while is a live-trap. I dump them (coons and possums) about a mile from the house on the other side of a nice creek. It'll keep them from coming back and it keeps me from killing anything out of season.
This brings up a good point. You might want to decrease possom, skunk, fox and coon population around housing areas for rabbi control. I killed a rabbid coon running through our neighborhood at 4:00pm once. Ever sinse then I decided I might should keep the population down around here. I called the county and told them to test it, and sure enough it was a confirmed case of rabbies.

Maybe we should start a thread about rabbies.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,299 Times in 5,343 Posts

That's a darn good idea John. Thanks for bringing it up!

Keep in mind though, if you have a garden, the predators are keeping the rabbits, deer, and other pests under control so your garden doesn't get eaten up. So consider this while thinning out the predators. You want to control them, not eliminate them.

You can also eat predators in a shtf situation.

Az
The Following User Says Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Avoidance & Deterrence

Thanked 3,451 Times in 1,405 Posts

Thread-jacked pretty early lets set this right.

What was found was that predators really kept the numbers down on the prey species. There is a natural ebb and flow of the species, if I had a lot of land I would leave the predators in place and hunt them ruthlessly just before SHTF, of course we have no idea when so you can just start the predator when SHTF and the other species will rebound pretty quickly.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,273 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Maybe we should start a thread about rabbies.
we just got the call from the county about the rabies vaccination drop next week. For the last 10 years the DNR flies over the area dropping fish product with the vaccination mixed in, it must work because the rabies strain for coon has been non-existent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post: