SHTF and Non SHTF tech gadgets - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Almost SHTF worse than full on WROL/SHTF? Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 05-15-2017 03:34 AM
No-tech Communication post SHTF cupid0311 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 03-09-2016 09:00 AM
Thoughts on firearms pre SHTF & ammo, post SHTF Corrigan Firearms General Discussion 31 01-16-2016 06:47 PM
low tech camera for after shtf memories? usmountains The Tech Zone 15 06-28-2015 10:24 AM
If you want to hunt small game post SHTF, you may want to Predator hunt/trap Pre SHTF John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 01-10-2015 05:17 AM
My own SHTF - laid off, depression, search, found job - SHTF over. Piece of Cake Grevlin General Discussion 42 03-04-2014 05:09 AM
Low-Tech Solutions To High-Tech Tyranny Morpheus General Discussion 2 05-26-2012 03:46 PM
My Minor SHTF could have been a Major SHTF charlie505 Manmade and Natural Disasters 36 02-19-2012 08:24 AM
Tech for SHTF??? Fatherdonald The Tech Zone 4 01-26-2010 02:26 PM
High vs. Low Tech in post SHTF solinvictus Firearms General Discussion 38 10-20-2009 09:08 PM

Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Prepared

Default SHTF and Non SHTF tech gadgets

Advertise Here

I hope I dont get too much flack for asking this. But with all of the gadgets that some have in their lives, and the ability for those gadgets to be quite usefull in the SHTF scenarios. What is the consensus on smart phones and laptops?

Smart phone - In a SHTF situation many apps would be usefull, or created for our prepping purposes. Along with the ability to store maps and all other information. Also I would assume(correct me if I am wrong) that GPS capabilities would still function for a time.

Laptops - I see this as being able to store massive ammounts of videos on all subjects Preping/Survival related.

I understand that old tech(books) are a little more hardy and have better longevity, but if the BOB plan has the ability to grab that also I think it would be a very good weight investment. By no means am I not going to plan to have a very large library to my BOL. Of course power is an issue, but there are many off the shelf solar panel chargers that can fix that. Ok Im done what say all of you?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Anti-Communist

Man those high tech things with pages I think they are called books? But seriously I dont think you will be able to power a laptop or keep it functional.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Anti-Communist

High tech devices will be inventions that make life easier, like an ozonator for water or a gasifier to run a generator or a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,397 Times in 893 Posts

how bout a bicycle generator, or water/wind turbine, one ''shtf gadget'' i plan on getting is a wikireader, for after the internet is down http://www.thewikireader.com/
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Prepared

I also didn't take into consideration EMP. Is there a way to guard them withought the protective covering being grounded. I thought that tracking might be an issue if the the cell network was still functioning (doubtfull if I am bugging out), but that is easily turned off.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,557 Times in 10,485 Posts

they make portable solar chargers

might want to look into the solar gorilla and the power gorilla
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmerJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Waiting...Watching..

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker View Post
I also didn't take into consideration EMP. Is there a way to guard them withought the protective covering being grounded. I thought that tracking might be an issue if the the cell network was still functioning (doubtfull if I am bugging out), but that is easily turned off.

I have a closet thats basically a faraday cage made from small ringed chicken wire on the inside. In theory it should protect what i have stored from EMPs.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Prepared

I have seen those before. I just assumed that it would be easier to pack/prep that then try to get a solar system to your BOL if you didnt have it and it need to be there PDQ. I say it is an interm solution till I get my BOL outfitted with big pannel solar/storage system.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Prepared

I cant remember, but does the cage need to be grounded? And would an anti static bag work as well
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
how bout a bicycle generator, or water/wind turbine, one ''shtf gadget'' i plan on getting is a wikireader, for after the internet is down http://www.thewikireader.com/
Having bicycles is part of my bug out plan. There was a post a few days ago about a bike generator and how easy it is to fabricate with scavenged parts.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,803 Times in 5,988 Posts
Default Grounding will attract the charge

Quote:
I cant remember, but does the cage need to be grounded? And would an anti static bag work as well
All the instructions I have read including my radio knowledge ,
a . chicken wire is not good enough
b. asolutely not being grounded is very important .
A metal filing cabinet or locker setting on wood is the best enclosure .
also , the inside needs to be inuslated in such a way as that the contence inside do not contact the metal in any way ,so either glass, plastic, or wood walls on the interrior will serve this purpouse. Card bord might work in a pnch but the humidity might create a path through the paper unless it is waxed.
When I shut off my lap top heading for work I put it in the filing cabinet on my way out .
My radios and other electronics are also in filing cabinets and steel lockers for more than just EMP, so they have a dual function.
Wiring leading to any thing inside the metal cabinet will jepordize what is inside , so if you want to save your big screen , when your done using it unplug and close the doors with every thing tucked inside .
Personally , if I owned a flat screen ,I'd build a metal cabinet in the wall and a sliding door that had a picture ( really cheap painting )mounted on to hide the TVs existance.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,514 Times in 44,898 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I can see the usefulness of an e reader for keeping a bunch of knowledge or something, as long as there are hardcopy backups. But I tend to avoid high tech gadgets for several reasons. One of which is that high tech gadgets do one thing better than anything that preceded them; let you down when you need them the most.

It's evident every time they rescue hikers lost only a few miles from their car. Because they counted on their GPS and it went out. Where if they had maps, a compass and a modicum of map reading skill as a backup, it would have been avoidable.

Personally, my BOB it to get me to to BOL. I don't need any gadgets to do that. I have plenty of books at the BOL. Not having gadgets just means the pack is lighter and I can move faster and farther. The only "gadgets" that I have in the pack is a small solar battery charger for my flashlight and radio batteries.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,514 Times in 44,898 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I've heard it both ways. But any time you see shielded circuitry, the shield is grounded to give the charge a place to drain off.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,833 Times in 8,748 Posts

Quote:
It is not at all clear that you must ground a Faraday cage. I have thought about how to protect an e-book or webbook or whatever in an aluminum case of some type.

Assuming I can create such a thing, I wouldn't be the least bit worried about grounding it. From what I've read, grounding a Faraday cage is technically a difficult thing to do right, such that you don't conduct an EMP pulse right to your cage with the ground wire.

If one's really concerned about that, they can use nested Faraday cages.
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,397 Times in 893 Posts

any body tried the wiki reader!!?? or even know what it is?? if not check it out, its like all of wikipedia (not the most reliable source of info) but its a huge bank of info, and needs no internet, i thought it was a good idea for preps guess not
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Armchair Prepper

I don't think you'll find a consensus! Each person's answer will depend on their situation, the value they place on each gadget, the scenarios they are considering prepping for, money and resources, and other factors.

I travel for work, 50+ trips/year, so my every day carry includes a laptop, a Toughbook U1, and a Blackberry. I carry a half dozen thumb drives as backup, and a second battery for the laptop. If I'm going somewhere power will be an issue, I bring a Brunton 26 watt folding solar panel. Yes, it's over 10 pounds of electronics.

In my analysis, only an EMP or CME would prevent me from accessing all of the cool data and useful applications, so my gadgets are included in my planning.

My backup plan is a paper library, and a couple of old computers in a grounded metal cabinet in my basement.

Quote:
I hope I dont get too much flack for asking this. But with all of the gadgets that some have in their lives, and the ability for those gadgets to be quite usefull in the SHTF scenarios. What is the consensus on smart phones and laptops?

Smart phone - In a SHTF situation many apps would be usefull, or created for our prepping purposes. Along with the ability to store maps and all other information. Also I would assume(correct me if I am wrong) that GPS capabilities would still function for a time.

Laptops - I see this as being able to store massive ammounts of videos on all subjects Preping/Survival related.

I understand that old tech(books) are a little more hardy and have better longevity, but if the BOB plan has the ability to grab that also I think it would be a very good weight investment. By no means am I not going to plan to have a very large library to my BOL. Of course power is an issue, but there are many off the shelf solar panel chargers that can fix that. Ok Im done what say all of you?
The Following User Says Thank You to AceScanner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,096 Times in 581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
any body tried the wiki reader!!?? or even know what it is?? if not check it out, its like all of wikipedia (not the most reliable source of info) but its a huge bank of info, and needs no internet, i thought it was a good idea for preps guess not
To bring a old thread back from the dead...

If anyone wants a wikireader they're being sold on ebay for 20 bucks shipped (in the U.S)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pandigital-W...item336f4aad4a

I am not sure how long this deal will last.

You can upgrade it to a 16gb sd card and put "Project Gutenberg " on it . This will give you 36,000 books+wiki.

Batteries on this are rated to last 1 year.

I plan on hacking mine and putting a solar cell on the back. It should last almost forever.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival

i will always carry my iphone ... i have all of my survival info on notes as well as survival apps for reading when im bored ... info is part of my edc ... i have a small portable charger with small solar panel. The mapping system will be useless if the general grid goes down due to teh mapping information being via 3G net ... however GPS system will still work and i have listed key GPS locations to the notes on my phone ... so my sat nav program will work ...

i have addresses and details listed ... and is all to hand ... its all listed with my bug out back ... however if i cant get to there ... i have it listed on me
The Following User Says Thank You to JayOlliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM
angel waiting

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,333 Posts

I agree with Mike we are going old school, maps, compass and an understanding of Astrology. We also have a three ring binder full of any information we might possibly need. If you strictly go tech the chances of it breaking, or you loosing it (someone steals it), or the batteries die are just too numerous to me to have them as our primary source of information. The best gadget in my opinion is my brain.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tadbitangelny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,096 Times in 581 Posts

My plan is to have some hard copies but 1 wikireader or tablet computer could hold more information than a library. Its a hard tool to give up over fears that it might not work.

Battery life on a wikireader is a year and black/white ereaders are rated in months. One cheap small solar cell could keep these running for more than most people life after teotwawki.

Laptops and phones on the other hand will be a harder addiction to add to a bob.

Over all hard copies of information are not damage proof too.