Who do you think has the best Heirloom Seeds? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a 101 on Heirloom seeds/saving seeds. ATLPilgrim Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 18 02-27-2017 04:17 PM
heirloom seeds? KnightOfthewaste Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 24 12-09-2013 09:55 AM
Heirloom veggies vs heirloom seeds Xelera Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 15 06-10-2013 06:34 PM
Heirloom Seeds - Culinary Can of Preparedness Seeds Survival Foods LLC For Sale 3 11-27-2012 03:09 PM
Heirloom Seeds - Salsa Can of Preparedness Seeds Survival Foods LLC For Sale 3 11-27-2012 03:08 PM
Heirloom Seeds - Fruit 'n Such Can of Preparedness Seeds Survival Foods LLC For Sale 3 11-27-2012 03:08 PM
Heirloom Seeds - Medicinal Can of Preparedness Seeds Survival Foods LLC For Sale 6 11-27-2012 02:56 PM
Heirloom seeds Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 04-13-2009 02:58 AM
Heirloom Seeds vs. Organic Seeds? Declan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 36 03-06-2009 08:51 AM
Seeds...Heirloom vs. non-heirloom??? 1charter Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 18 02-06-2009 05:42 AM

Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,055 Posts

Advertise Here

Baker creek
Seed savers
Tomatoe fest
Johnnys seeds
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,109 Times in 3,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-hunter View Post
WRONG.

First of all, 'G' is a letter, not a number.

Second, most field corn is Hybrid.
The only open pollinated field corn that I know of is grown for silage, has huge stalks and leaves, and yields almost no grain.

The vast majority of field corn (dent corn) is hybrid, not open pollinated.

85% of field corn grown in the US is GMO Hybrid.
There are a few open pollinated sweet corn varieties like Country Gentleman or the old standard Golden Bantam. These old non-hybrid varieties are a lot different than the new hybrids. They have a lot less sugar. You have to pick them at just the right stage to be very good.

A couple of field corn non-hybrids are Painted Mountain, and Roy's Caliasis.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 PM

I purchase my seeds from either Seed Savers, Baker Creek, or Tomato Growers Supply Company. I order the catalogs so I can bring them with me to work or what not. When they arrive in the mail, I'm so excited, just like I used to be when the old Sears and Roebuck Christmas Catalog used to arrive (esp the TGSC catalog).
Old 05-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,400 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneTx View Post
I've looked and looked and want to get more bang for my buck. Where would/did you buy yours from?

Suzanne
I get mine from a local garden store. No, they're not labeled as "heirloom" seeds. They're simply the old reliable varieties that have been grown in my area for as long as anyone remembers. Cream peas, Crowder peas, Purple Hull peas, bush beans, pole beans, Long horn peppers, type 1, and 2 tomatoes, Emerald okra, and most other open pollinated varieties. My brother is still growing Black Eyed peas from saved produce out of a bag he bought at the grocery store 6 years ago. They reproduce fine. As far as I know pinto beans from the grocery store will still reproduce.

Corn, wheat, maybe rice, and other comercial crops will be where you run into the GMO non-reproducing strains. Many of the crops such as beans, peas that large operations buy seeds for may, or may not be GMO. Most agribusiness farmers now buy those seeds because they no longer have the time, equipment, and space to process, and store seed in the off season. Some hybrids will not reproduce at all. Others will revert to an original strain of the same crop.

You can simply save "dried on the vine" seed, and keep it to plant the next season. I always save "first crop" peas, and beans. These are from one, or two bushes in the middle of my plot. By first crop I mean those bushes don't get picked at all. The pods are allowed to get fully mature, and begin to dry out. Then I pick them, and bring them in to finish drying spread on a screened frame in the house. Some people freeze them. But, I just put them in jars, with a oxygen absorber to keep any bugs, or weevils from eating them.

My dad grew his own "bred" corn. It was a strain he developed by saving his best ears for several years, and replanting it over and over. It was a "meal" corn, grown for grinding into corn meal. The best cornbread I ever ate. I have okra I inherited from my Grandaddy, and beans from my Papaw. Somehow my dad's corn was lost, and I haven't been able find it.

Seed is not "organic". Organic is a growing method. If you grow your crops organically I guess you could call your seed organic. But, you can grow hybrids, or even GMO, and it would be "organic" if you grew it organically. Doesn't mean the GMO was as good for you as a hybrid, or "heirloom" grown organically.

You can produce your own hybrids by planting different varieties together, and letting them cross-pollinate. I've done it sometimes on purpose, and sometimes accidentally. Try Purple Crowder peas, and Crowder Hulls. They've always reverted in a couple of years.

Remember, when you're growing old style varieties, you need to vary planting routines. (Rotate your crops.) If you plant the same thing, in the same place, every year you'll get molds, and insects that attack that particular crop. The molds will live in the soil, and the insects will live around your garden. Some of this can be counteracted with off season cover crops, or a winter crop.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,631 Times in 26,377 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

http://www.rareseeds.com/

3 locations, California, Missouri and Connecticut. 1800 different varities and a free catalog