Winter Egg Production - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best kind or winter tent? winter Camping? farmer2424 Reviews and questions 24 06-28-2015 05:16 PM
U.S. Firearm Production Sets Record in 2012: AR-15 Production Up Over 100% Canadian Prepster Political News and Discussion 15 10-22-2014 02:34 PM
Egg production azrancher Jokes, Humor & Music 1 06-08-2014 02:18 AM
Egg production down kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 08-14-2013 10:50 PM
USA! we are #1 in oil production. real wowwee General Discussion 20 04-10-2013 07:06 AM
Farming production -Community production, preservation & storage - Local food exhange tankman1989 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-25-2011 02:24 AM
Egg production dropoff???? jandlms Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 12-07-2011 05:18 PM
New Production Stg. 44 GoodOlFroathyOne Military Weapons Forum 23 11-29-2009 05:19 PM
Corn oil production Hossmiester Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 10-06-2009 10:47 PM

View Poll Results: How long can eggs be stored, without refrigeration, with primitive techniques?
One week 3 10.34%
Two weeks 5 17.24%
Four weeks 5 17.24%
More than a month.... 16 55.17%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Infraction Collector

Thanked 2,377 Times in 949 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadjanet View Post
I wish I had the answers I am dissapointed with our egg production. We have 17 hens, they are young about 8 months old. We get 5 - 6 eggs a day. They have a 30 x 30 fenced yard and and a 10 x 12 coop. They have hay bedding and multiple roosts and 3 diff levels for nesting/laying. We are in S Tx so no cold weather to speak of yet. Oh and they have diet of laying pellets, food scraps and are let to graze outside the pen 2 -3 hours daily. We do have preditors so they must be penned unless we are around to keep an eye on things. What can I do to improve my results?
when I get this problem,...I pour the feed to them,...make sure they can feed 24-7,...also I keep a light in the coop,....someone told me to do this,..and it does work,...they'll get up and feed all hours,....and it helps promote laying.

I'll add,...I've discovered over the past few years,...If I let them range for a day,...or feed them table scrap,...it adversely affects laying,......so now they are on a strict diet of %16 lay pellet only,....I may supplement this with just a little bit of cracked corn in the winter. <the corn helps build body heat and keep them healthy.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
when I get this problem,...I pour the feed to them,...make sure they can feed 24-7,...also I keep a light in the coop,....someone told me to do this,..and it does work,...they'll get up and feed all hours,....and it helps promote laying.

I'll add,...I've discovered over the past few years,...If I let them range for a day,...or feed them table scrap,...it adversely affects laying,......so now they are on a strict diet of %16 lay pellet only,....I may supplement this with just a little bit of cracked corn in the winter. <the corn helps build body heat and keep them healthy.
May throw a light on a timer for a couple hours a day to. Mine are just now 5 months old and will supply a little extra light Late Jan.
The Following User Says Thank You to smokinthelast1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM

my hens have just hit peak production and their figures will continue to improve, hopefully.
0.67 eggs / hen / day or 4.69 eggs / hen / week

they only have natural light, organic pellets, fish oils, apple cider vinegar and access to fresh greens every day ... I have grown some winter hardy greens this year to see if it helps over the winter when most other green feed stuff is under snow and ice.

Cheers

;-)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,633 Times in 6,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmen View Post

they only have natural light, organic pellets, fish oils, apple cider vinegar and access to fresh greens every day ... I have grown some winter hardy greens this year to see if it helps over the winter when most other green feed stuff is under snow and ice.

Cheers

;-)
Ryegrass, Gulf Coast Rye specifically, is great. It grows very fast and responds to nitrogen like a son of a gun. Nitrogen is a byproduct of the operation. Just water it in if you don't have rains to do it for you.

I have plenty of space and rye grass and clovers.

On a smaller scale with some time and fencing paddocks can be built and planted, so that you can grow them and turn the birds in and out as necessary. The more the better, or the larger the better.

If free ranging just plant your yard where you want them to stay and they're on it!

This produces the most beautiful and superb egg yolk that I've ever seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadjanet View Post
I wish I had the answers I am dissapointed with our egg production. We have 17 hens, they are young about 8 months old. We get 5 - 6 eggs a day. They have a 30 x 30 fenced yard and and a 10 x 12 coop. They have hay bedding and multiple roosts and 3 diff levels for nesting/laying. We are in S Tx so no cold weather to speak of yet. Oh and they have diet of laying pellets, food scraps and are let to graze outside the pen 2 -3 hours daily. We do have preditors so they must be penned unless we are around to keep an eye on things. What can I do to improve my results?
Our hen (12 of them), did not start laying an egg a day until they were almost one year old. When they were about 11 months old, the egg production really kicked into gear.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
my hens have just hit peak production and their figures will continue to improve, hopefully.
0.67 eggs / hen / day or 4.69 eggs / hen / week

Cheers

;-)
for those that are interested, egg production is still going strong ...
latest figures are ...
0.79 eggs / hen / day or 5.53 eggs / hen / week since 1st egg laid, hens are barn raised this time of year, due to wet weather most days, and sightings of the local fox doing his rounds.

Cheeers
Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
for those that are interested, egg production is still going strong ...
latest figures are ...
0.79 eggs / hen / day or 5.53 eggs / hen / week since 1st egg laid, hens are barn raised this time of year, due to wet weather most days, and sightings of the local fox doing his rounds.

Cheeers
Latest figures are ...
0.86 eggs / hen / day or 6.02 eggs / hen / week. I'm well pleased with their performance over the winter so far, mind you it has been milder than normal.

Cheers