Pakistan: A reality check amid the terror and chaos - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reality check? amiready Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 09-24-2012 08:41 AM
another reality check for us islandfam Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 08-14-2011 01:15 PM
My Own Reality Check Robin56 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 06-04-2011 01:57 PM
Reality Check Vasbyt Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 50 04-29-2011 05:04 AM
Reality check Proyas Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 11-18-2010 08:37 PM
Fears of lawlessness grow amid chaos in Haiti Pragmatist General Discussion 5 01-15-2010 12:50 PM
Pakistan Continues To Spiral Into Chaos Newsfeed General Discussion 0 05-06-2009 08:00 AM

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Target Shooter

Default Pakistan: A reality check amid the terror and chaos

Advertise Here

The following is an excerpt of former Pakistani president Musharraf's opinion on the causes of Islamic religious extremism in Pakistan and how it may be best addressed. These are 5 good points he makes, in my opinion.

"In the final analysis Pakistan also has to look inwards to resolve its sociopolitical conflict. We, as a nation, have to boldly demonstrate our resolve towards moderation and rejection of extremism from within our society. We have to follow, with courage, the five-point agenda that I created to check extremism within:

1. Stop misuse of madrassas and mosques from preaching militancy of any form.
2. Stop printing/publishing and selling/distributing any material spreading violence and militancy.
3. Ban militant religious organizations and deny their reemergence under different names.
4. Keep the religious syllabus and curriculum in schools under constant review to prevent any teaching of controversial issues, which could lead to religious rigidity, extremism and intolerance.
5. Implement a madrassa strategy to mainstream Taliban into the social fabric of the nation."

For the full article:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/0...html?hpt=hp_c2
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,776 Times in 13,992 Posts

So - Basically no human rights?
No freedom of religon, right to assembly or freedom of speech?
That will teach them democracy in a hurry.
Replace the word mosque with temple or church and stop thinking Muslim for a minute....would you want to live under these rules?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Target Shooter

Is your argument that Islamic extremists have TOO LITTLE freedom in Islamic countries? On the contrary, I think they have too much freedom. They have overpowered the more moderate parties who represent the majority of the population.
You seem to be comparing the US system to Pakistan, which is like comparing apples to oranges since Pakistan has never had the individual freedoms the US has. However, since that is the route you have taken, I will address my response accordingly.

1. Stop misuse of madrassas and mosques from preaching militancy of any form.
Isn't this the problem which has led the US to 3 wars? Militancy and hatred being taught by Islamic schools and mosques?

2. Stop printing/publishing and selling/distributing any material spreading violence and militancy.
Doesn't the US closely monitor material published by hate groups here?

[I]3. Ban militant religious organizations and deny their reemergence under different names.[/I
Are religious organizations allowed to kill members of opposing groups or society in general without repercussion here? Do we have villages here where the civilians are coerced into voting for a specific candidate or be killed?

4. Keep the religious syllabus and curriculum in schools under constant review to prevent any teaching of controversial issues, which could lead to religious rigidity, extremism and intolerance.
Doesn't the US education system teach religious TOLERANCE as opposed to INTOLERANCE?

5. Implement a madrassa strategy to mainstream Taliban into the social fabric of the nation."
Wouldn't the Taliban/extremist threat be marginalized if they were assimulated into broader society by changing the school's teachings of hatred?

Finally, according to US laws, individual rights end at the point when they infringe upon another individual's rights. I would say that teaching hatred and killing infringes upon the rights of others since other individuals will suffer bodily harm or death from it. Since you are comparing the US to Pakistan, I would think that the same applies there if you are judging extremists based upon US laws.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,776 Times in 13,992 Posts

I am not arguing that the extremist have too many rights, they don't give a crap about rights theirs or anyone elses. They were not raised with the concept. Your rules will not effect them in the least.
Trying to inforce those rules however will get a lot of innocent people killed. Americans and Pakis. Soliders and children.
Who is to decide what is a "militant" organization? Us, them or the UN?
The approved cirriculum of most high schools may not contain hate but the social system of high school breeds it. How man more suicides from bullies? How many more Columbines?
And at last...have you been to madras? please do not conclude from what you have been told that all are military training camps.
There is a thread here where someone is talking about their church offering prep classes, maybe they will decide to add some weapons training too. We all ready know that alot of the religous right home schools their children. They can add all the hate they want to the cirriculum and no one is the wiser. Target practice for recess. When does this cease to become a church and become a militant organization? ( I am NOT suggesting this is the case with this particular church mentioned in the post I am ONLY using it as an example) Is it when they reach a certain size or do they actually have to blow something up first?