Anyone else having trouble with Berkey filter wing nuts? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Onion" satire or real life left wing nuts? Medieval Man General Discussion 12 04-22-2015 07:25 PM
Which Berkey Water Filter Jake2196 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 01-23-2013 09:34 AM
Did Berkey fix the filter problems? johnw104 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 104 12-03-2012 07:49 PM
big berkey filter question? jodier7 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 09-06-2012 11:31 AM
Big Berkey water filter? shamgar57 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 06-07-2012 10:34 PM
Slow sand filter plus berkey filter in 5 gallon bucket kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 03-24-2012 10:14 PM
Berkey filter help!!! Bearcub Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 09-28-2010 03:43 PM
Big Berkey Filter - $185 thru 7-31-09 AZOpie For Sale 2 08-10-2009 11:02 AM

Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Anyone else having trouble with Berkey filter wing nuts?

Advertise Here

Is anyone else having trouble with the "new" Berkey filter wing nuts? I am on my second Berkey filter (just upgraded from a Big to an Impeial) and love the units except that all of the filters that I have recently obtained have very "sloppy" wing nuts to secure the filters. They can only be tightened to the very slightest amount of pressure before they slip on the threads. The original filters that I got with my Big Berkey did not have this problem but the six that I have purchased since then all did (some worse than others) and I have purchased from several different suppliers.
I sent an email to New Millennium Concepts over a week ago and have still not received a reply. This is unusual as their customer service has been exceptional in the past. Surely I can't be the only one having this trouble. All you Berkey owners please chime in and let me know if you are having trouble tightening the filters to an acceptable tightness without the nuts slipping on the filter shafts.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shovelhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM

I have had this problem too. Can't tighten them enough to stop water leaking around the filters. Thinking of switching to another brand
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Prepared Gourmet

Thanked 6,113 Times in 2,122 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I have a Berkey but so far haven't taken it out of the box since we don't need it yet. Will have to check that the filters don't have this problem. Bought it about a year ago (with 4 filters) - is this is a problem that was happening back then or just in the past few months?
The Following User Says Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Mine are well over a year old. Seems to me that the problem is that the threaded studs that protrude from the base of the filters are somehow cast into the filter material. That material is not very strong. When you tighten the wing nuts the stud breaks its bond in the filter material and is free to turn - then you can't tighten it sufficiently to effect a good seal.

I'm thinking of switching to someof the non carbon impregnated Katadyn filters, though I'm not sure if they are any more robust. Anyone know ?

I use my system daily - like to filter my well water
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 PM

I had one filter that leaked at the base and NMC replaced it free of charge. The wing nut slipping problem seems to be on filters that are less than a year old from what I have seen. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having this trouble, that way they will have to do something about it if they want to sell more filters. I can tighten them barely to the point of having the filters pass the food coloring test, but this makes me uneasy since they are right on the edge of slipping to be sufficiently tight. If they ever answer me, I will let all of you know what they are doing about it. It is however disappointing that such a great filter setup would have such a weak link. I absolutely love everything about this unit except for the two cent wing nuts that slip. Maybe they need to spend five cents for a slightly bigger one instead.

Keep the replies coming if or if you don't also have this problem. Maybe Berkey Guy could chime in as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Damn I just bought a Berley Light. I haven't used it yet, was waiting for another week until I finish moving. I will have to check it out tomorrow and let you know how mine is.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImThatGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Cranky Old Guy

Mine is still in the box. I bought it about a month ago.

Is there an easy way to tell if there is a problem or not or does it need to be completely assembled????
The Following User Says Thank You to Elmo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 04:14 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

I've had a slipping nut on one of my black Berkey filters, that are around two years old, so it's not just the newer filters giving trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I love this forum

I have had the Berkey Light about a year and a half and very satisfied. In Oct-2010 I ordered a set of backup filters. I just went and looked at them to compare with what came with my system and I do not detect any differences.

One thing I might mention to you guys sitting on your system filters, you may want to go ahead and pre-prime those filters before putting them into your storage preps. That is also the time to detect "some" filter issues is during priming.

The reason I mention this is beacuse you may decide to use them during a SHTF scenerio, when there is no water pressure.

“But, what if I am only buying the black berkey filters as a backup set for the future? Once I receive them, can’t I just throw them in the cabinet and forget about them?”

The answer to that question is no ........

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com...se-or-storage/
Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 PM
here kitty, kitty

I usually have this problem when I remove the black elements to clean them and put them back into the Berkey.

The wing nuts won't tighten like they did when I first install the elements. It's quite annoying.
The Following User Says Thank You to rina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 06:43 PM

If the problem were just the nuts then all you would need to do is go to the hardware store and get a couple of stainless steel wing (or regular hex) nuts of the correct size.

Unfortunately, the problem is with the central stem of the filter. It turns in the filter. There is no repair for this, other than using a new filter.

If other manufacturers have a better (more resilient) filter system then we may be better off running with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
If the problem were just the nuts then all you would need to do is go to the hardware store and get a couple of stainless steel wing (or regular hex) nuts of the correct size.

Unfortunately, the problem is with the central stem of the filter. It turns in the filter. There is no repair for this, other than using a new filter.

If other manufacturers have a better (more resilient) filter system then we may be better off running with them.
This is a different problem than the one that I have been having. If those filter stems are a standard size (doubtful), I will try using a different nut on them. However the problem that you are having, I have not really experienced. I will say however that NMC does warranty the filters for a period of time so if your filters are not real old, just contact the distributor that you purchased them from and they should take care of it or at least prorate the filter for exchange depending on age. They have stood behind their product for me in the past and hopefully will continue to do so being that they are quite an investment.

For those of you sitting on new units, for God's sake get them primed and set up. You can always dry them out and put them back in storage, it won't hurt a thing. If you come to need them and have a problem then, you will be in big trouble especially if you can't prime the filters. We use ours daily for all of our cooking and drinking and the filters last a really long time. I would recommend using yours as well and just storing a few extra filters for emergencies. That way you are familiar with the unit and won't have any surprises when you really need it.

I still love my Berkey and for those of you that just purchased them, you will be impressed with the water quality that they produce, they just need to get these issues ironed out. The day they stop standing behind the product is the day that I switch filter brands, until then, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and will await a reply from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to shovelhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,477 Times in 44,891 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I'm glad to learn of the problem. My older filters are having no problems. But I was getting ready to order some more extras. I think I'll wait until I know they've fixed the problem first.

Anybody ask the Berkey Guy about it? He's a member here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 PM
optimistic pessimist

Thanked 2,785 Times in 864 Posts

Yup..same issue. I just assumed that I was doing something wrong with them. I bought mine in Feb.
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoGal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 AM

I gotta say this really sucks! I have been watching for months everyone talking about how great berkeys are....buy a berkey....gotta have a berkey.....anyone whos anyone has a berky....berkeys are the best thing since sliced bread. so I looked,I dreamed,I studied,I compared and last week I finally bought one......and now this thread finally comes out hopefully this helps someone else who is shopping....SB rocks!
The Following User Says Thank You to captaingreg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Anti-Raider Patrol

I recently bought my 2nd one. A small one to keep in the camper. I noticed this with it but did not give it much thought. Now I am worried though because I will probably taking this one apart often to dry it out and store it in the popup between trips. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
What's scary about this is the fact that it cold be leaking and you may never know it which could lead to getting sick.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Indiana Camper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 AM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Camper View Post
......What's scary about this is the fact that it cold be leaking and you may never know it which could lead to getting sick.....
Remember, these are "filters", not "purifiers". Right now I'm using my Big Berkey with two black filters for county-supplied tap water, but if I was filtering more questionable water ( from a creek,lake,ditch,etc.) then I would have to sterilize the water first, (bleach or boiling), and THEN run it through the filter. This way, the worst you'd get from a less-than-perfect seal would be a little sediment, but no harmful living organisms.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Well, to be fair to Berkey, we don't know how the other brands are performing. We've had nobody say how their Kadadyn or other brands are holding up in this regard.

Also, if the Kadadyn filters are more robust they can be used in a Berkey system. Sell your Berkey filters on Ebay and replace them with kadadyn.

At the moment I don't know if the other brands are any better (more robust) than Berkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingreg View Post
I gotta say this really sucks! I have been watching for months everyone talking about how great berkeys are....buy a berkey....gotta have a berkey.....anyone whos anyone has a berky....berkeys are the best thing since sliced bread. so I looked,I dreamed,I studied,I compared and last week I finally bought one......and now this thread finally comes out hopefully this helps someone else who is shopping....SB rocks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Remember, these are "filters", not "purifiers". Right now I'm using my Big Berkey with two black filters for county-supplied tap water, but if I was filtering more questionable water ( from a creek,lake,ditch,etc.) then I would have to sterilize the water first, (bleach or boiling), and THEN run it through the filter. This way, the worst you'd get from a less-than-perfect seal would be a little sediment, but no harmful living organisms.
According to their website, they are actually "classified as purifiers". I don't think that anyone here would have spent the kind of money that they get for these systems if they did nothing more than filter the water. They are expected to turn non potable water into drinking water and if they won't do that, they wouldn't be of much need to survivalists would they? Therefore a less than perfect seal is potentially fatal.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shovelhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Alright, I pm'd theberkeyguy so lets get him on here and see what he has to offer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shovelhead For This Useful Post: