Motorbikes - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 01:14 AM
Frederick von Strass Frederick von Strass is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,505
Thanks: 1,314
Thanked 791 Times in 505 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 Boere View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Guys, the way I see it, the primary is life. You have to get out. Beans and kit mean nothing.

What I propose, ideally, is to have bikes on your trailer facing backwards. At the expense of provisions, yes.

A small town, never mind a city, has roads designed to handle X amount of traffic. We all get stuck in traffic from time to time. Usually a crash which gets resolved in a few hours. Now, Imagine every road being blocked with traffic. This is not theory, history has shown time and time again how quickly the arteries of a city get jammed in times of evacuation and war.
The other thing, of course, is that it has been prophesied. Not everyone accepts prophecy; no problem!; buuuuuuut when so many stack up the way that they have done in recent months, you have to at least permit them to prick your conscience slightly.

What is the name of that U.S. pastor who echoed Johanna Brandt? He is one of the big names. The guy who walked on stage in the USA one Sunday morning and said "I prepared a sermon for today but I am not going to give it. Instead I am going to tell you about a dream that I had of South Africa last night. Our church does not have missions in South Africa; I have never been to South Africa; I know nothing about South Africa. However, last night I had an awful dream about SOuth Africa in which I saw thousands of cars standing still on the freeways, with their doors open and engines running, with the roads blocked and the cars unable to move - people fleeing the cities and getting caught on the road... et cetera". Was it Rick Joyner?

You have to be pretty flipping confident of your own brains to ignore uncanny stuff like that, ou pel.

So, ja, I agree with you, 300. Those urban, peri-urban, provincial, and national arteries are going to be blocked and it would be very wise to consider how to circumvent that. In which case, you really only have two options, namely
- be among the first to leave
- having a motorcycle

Yours faithfully,

FvS.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Frederick von Strass For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 02:34 AM
300 Boere's Avatar
300 Boere 300 Boere is offline
n Boer maak n plan
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,344
Thanks: 502
Thanked 1,380 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Howzit, Fred

It is not that I believe that prophecy in-itself is unreal or impossible. I grew up with Oom Siener in the house (note I capitalise the "O" in Oom due to respect). My point of departure, however, is that as much as one may note and acknowledge prophecy one should totally compartmentalise prophecy and in no way let it inform thinking on the strategic level. It interferes with critical thinking and may lead one to presume or lean towards a certain position without necessarily having an honest (thought through) analysis of the facts on merit of the facts alone. Prophecy, however, is extremely valuable in terms of moral.

I hope I have articulated my thoughts well enough so that you understand that my emphasis is on the application of prophecy and not its validity per se.

I cannot agree more with your point though: Get out early or have a bike! And perhaps get out early with a bike.

I have seen guys pull two trailers behind their vehicle, which might solve the problem of space for bikes and provisions. However, this would be an unwieldy proposition if at any point you need to manoeuvre.

As always it seems that each solution leads to its own unique set of problems. I guess the trick is to choose the lesser problem.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2017, 02:43 AM
300 Boere's Avatar
300 Boere 300 Boere is offline
n Boer maak n plan
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,344
Thanks: 502
Thanked 1,380 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunu View Post
As Louis has already mentioned, two of the biggest problems with using a bike for a BOV are - the limited carrying capacity (for bug-out preps, family members etc) and the skill level required (to avoid obstacles and get to your destination in one piece) - i.e. whilst I would be quite comfortable riding through very rough terrain during a bug-out, I would not be able to simply give my wife a bike to ride and expect her to be able to follow me without injuring herself. Not without a good couple of years worth of training, riding and gaining experience.

Once those challenges have been addressed however, the critical questions would then be: What distance are you planning on travelling with the bikes and over what type of terrain?

Larger two strokes (200cc - 500cc) are great for farm use and/or short trips over very rough terrain (sand & mud/boulders & rocks/brush & trees etc). Carrying capacity is severely limited and the more weight on the bike, the less power it has and the less ideal it becomes for those rough terrain conditions. Range is very limited even on roads and other flat terrain, and ride comfort is non-existent. Experience and good riding skills are critical if riding over rough terrain.

Smaller four strokes (under 600cc) seem to have the worst of both worlds. Carry capacity, range and comfort are all only marginally better than a two stroke and, while handling over rough terrain is still very good when the bike is light, they can be an absolute nightmare to control when heavily loaded.

The bigger four strokes (600cc and up) are better for road use (tar and dirt) and flat terrain. Range, carrying capacity and ride comfort is much better but, the bigger the bike the more problems you are going to face in any sandy/muddy/rocky conditions, especially if the bike is loaded with preps and/or passengers.

Now you may not think that ride comfort would be a big thing to consider when faced with a SHTF bug-out situation, yes? Let me tell you from experience, any trip of more than 100km on a fully loaded small bike (under 600cc) is a mind-bogglingly uncomfortable and painful experience, even without bad terrain and hostile zombies.

Case in point - My younger days travelling from PE, to Durban, to Pretoria and then on up through to Lusaka (Zambia) on overloaded Yamaha XT550's...





It took us three days to get from PE to Durban (normally a 9-12 hour drive) due to multiple breakdowns because we had overloaded the bikes (we had to stop four time due to spokes going right through the tyres on the one bike and twice for the same reason on the other bike) - Try looking for spares or tyre repair facilities in places like Butterworth, Idutwa and Umthatha... at night

Due to the delays, and us not wanting to spend more time than necessary in the (old) Transkei, we were forced to ride at night, when temps were around 1-2 degC (and even colder with the wind chill) and in the rain... with the crappy stock-standard headlights. We eventually had to pull off the road during the second night (just past Kokstad) to sleep for a couple of hours in the long grass next to the road because we were so exhausted.

Even after offloading about half of our **** in Durban to lighten the bikes we still had three breakdowns from there to Pretoria... another 3 day trip for us. A reasonably comfortable travelling speed for us on the open road in good weather and visibility, was around 80km/h. Anything over that speed and the bikes became so unstable that they were almost impossible to control.

In later years, doing GPS mapping contracts, I travelled many thousands of km's on dirt and farm roads throughout the country, on a XT600 Tenere. What a difference that was from the smaller 550cc bike. Faster, better handling, more power, and although it was a much more comfortable ride, I was still absolutely shattered after a normal 8-hour, 600-800km day... and that was with minimal kit (a small backpack) and staying in hotels/motels/B&B's at night.
Nunu, what is the figure on the left doing... drinking a beer perhaps?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Nunu's Avatar
Nunu Nunu is offline
Hear me roar...
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kzn, South Africa
Posts: 1,191
Thanks: 388
Thanked 1,053 Times in 579 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 Boere View Post
...A small town, never mind a city, has roads designed to handle X amount of traffic. We all get stuck in traffic from time to time. Usually a crash which gets resolved in a few hours. Now, Imagine every road being blocked with traffic. This is not theory, history has shown time and time again how quickly the arteries of a city get jammed in times of evacuation and war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick von Strass View Post
The other thing, of course, is that it has been prophesied. Not everyone accepts prophecy; no problem!; buuuuuuut when so many stack up the way that they have done in recent months, you have to at least permit them to prick your conscience slightly.

What is the name of that U.S. pastor who echoed Johanna Brandt? He is one of the big names. The guy who walked on stage in the USA one Sunday morning and said "I prepared a sermon for today but I am not going to give it. Instead I am going to tell you about a dream that I had of South Africa last night. Our church does not have missions in South Africa; I have never been to South Africa; I know nothing about South Africa. However, last night I had an awful dream about SOuth Africa in which I saw thousands of cars standing still on the freeways, with their doors open and engines running, with the roads blocked and the cars unable to move - people fleeing the cities and getting caught on the road... et cetera". Was it Rick Joyner?

You have to be pretty flipping confident of your own brains to ignore uncanny stuff like that, ou pel...
I'm with 300 on this one. Prophesy has nothing to do with it. It's just basic common sense. If you read or watch any post apocalyptic books/movies you might notice that at least 90% of them show or mention the exit routes from the cities and towns being blocked by gridlocked vehicles. I doubt that any of them have even heard of SvR or his prophesies.

While this sort of scenario may have been unimaginable in SvR's day, and thus had much more of an impact as a "prophesy", it doesn't take a genius in today's world to make an observation that comes to the same/similar conclusion as the prophesy even when one has never heard the prophesy.

The same with (m)any other strategies for SHTF planning. You just have to take a good (dispassionate) look at the world around you, apply some basic common sense and hey presto... you're a visionary?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Nunu's Avatar
Nunu Nunu is offline
Hear me roar...
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kzn, South Africa
Posts: 1,191
Thanks: 388
Thanked 1,053 Times in 579 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 Boere View Post
Nunu, what is the figure on the left doing... drinking a beer perhaps?
The twit on the left is looking into the distance with his hand shading his eyes, the twit on the right (me) is drinking a coke... both twits are trying to look intelligent while posing for the camera.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2020, 11:37 PM
Farqaleet Farqaleet is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default custom race suit

Motorbikes are like a bullet. My personal opinion is that If you want to enjoy your bike ride. So you must use a professional motorcycle suit, gloves and boot. You will find complete peace of mind with these things. I've also got a professional race suit from https://motospeeds.com/. This suit provides me with safety and comfort.
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net