When do you think the SHTF? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Almost SHTF worse than full on WROL/SHTF? Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 05-15-2017 03:34 AM
Best Dog for SHTF loltraktor General Discussion 42 08-25-2016 10:53 PM
Thoughts on firearms pre SHTF & ammo, post SHTF Corrigan Firearms General Discussion 31 01-16-2016 06:47 PM
If you want to hunt small game post SHTF, you may want to Predator hunt/trap Pre SHTF John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 01-10-2015 05:17 AM
What does SHTF mean to you? SMM123 Polls and Surveys 54 08-07-2014 01:25 PM
My own SHTF - laid off, depression, search, found job - SHTF over. Piece of Cake Grevlin General Discussion 42 03-04-2014 05:09 AM
My Minor SHTF could have been a Major SHTF charlie505 Manmade and Natural Disasters 36 02-19-2012 08:24 AM
SHTF and Non SHTF tech gadgets whacker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 12-21-2011 08:52 PM
Do you have SOP for when the SHTF? Methu969 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 08-26-2009 06:34 PM
SHTF surviver94 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 03-02-2009 04:11 PM

View Poll Results: When do you think the SHTF?
1-3 years 69 56.10%
3-5 years 26 21.14%
5-10 years 16 13.01%
10-20 years 6 4.88%
20-50 years 6 4.88%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2019, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

WOW! What a timely and appropriate resurrection of a decade old necro-thread!

It’s amazing how many of us are struggling with and stressing over the same or similar scenarios in 2019. I recon nothing has changed much since 2009.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Target Shooter

S will HTF on some idle afternoon when you least expect it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dropshot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 04:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,340 Times in 4,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
I agree with your reasoning, but the planning IS necessary and such planning MUST include time frame and even the scenarios. Right or wrong.
I don't disagree, but scenarios need to be region specific or generalized. You may never know what caused a SHTF, but your reactions and actions are what's important. Probable regional SHTF can be wildfires, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, flooding, mud slides, droughts, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, etc. Everybody needs to focus their SHTF preparation to what are the most likely threats in their region.

My only point is that it's easy to lose your focus on life if you're are in constant fear of SHTF, or your preparation becomes a consuming obsession rather than a hobby/lifestyle. If it happens, you deal with it and as long as you prepare as best you can, you are likely better off than the majority of others.

I'll admit, I'm an optimist. I've been through wildfires threating the home, chemical spills threatening the local community, gas leaks in the neighborhood, four combat tours, jungle battle drill bugout with threat of attack from Peruvian forces, two hurricanes, a tornado, local flooding, job loss (quite recently)…

I have a little experience with scenarios, while planning can be "SHTF specific", the majority is (and should be) pretty basic.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Scenario prepping is a terrible idea.

I had a cousin who prepped for Y2k.
He had Inherrited $1mil plus, moved out to the country bought a couple tractors, literally tens of thousands of gallons of fuel, food, guns, amedical supplies...
There was NOTHING wrong with Y2K preps: that was an immediate, looming threat of unknown scale. I could not afford to do much at a time, but did a lot of detailed planning, which later proved to be useful for other things.
The Following User Says Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,478 Times in 22,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
There was NOTHING wrong with Y2K preps: that was an immediate, looming threat of unknown scale. I could not afford to do much at a time, but did a lot of detailed planning, which later proved to be useful for other things.
There is nothing wrong with BEING PREPARED for scinarios.

There IS much wrong with scenario prepping.

After Y2K fizzled he was concerned about the rwdnplanet, planet X whatever it was. Then this threat, then that threat.

Meanwhile I continue to strive in a sustainable manner towards a level of self sufficiency that will make the threat (what it specifically is) immaterial.

20 years later he is burned out on prepping and shops at whole foods.I
I get 1\4 cow from.my fire chief and can it, or butcher it, smoke my own wild pork, father my berries, apples, and pears, grow my own vegies, got squash sitting in a box across the room, etc.

I'm not saying not to be aware, or even take a few extra steps; if there was a credible threat tomorrow I'd too off my 2 empty gas cans, (rotation, will anyway next time I'm in town) and stock up on chocolate, citrus, and cooking oil.

But scenario prepping is both bad mentally (As described) and make a it more likely that you will be blindsided by something else.

Far better to plan:

What do I need to do about food if there is none.
What do I need to do about security of there is none.
What do I need to do about water if I must get my own.
Power
Medical
Etc.

Then regardless, you can still eat etc
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,372 Times in 3,588 Posts

Who jumpstarted this thread. 2009 84 people wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,447 Times in 6,364 Posts

18 months according to the child prophet Greta van simple minded pimple , saw her testify at the Useless Nations so it must be a GD lie. JMHO and S/FI! Real answer when God tells Gabriel to sound the Trumpet!
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 06:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,491 Posts

It doesn't matter, really.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 06:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,228 Times in 4,173 Posts

I'm in the UK, so it could hit off at any time now. At least the Judiciary has supported Parliament against the Government, but between now and the end of October, anything could spark it off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 06:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,799 Times in 673 Posts

SHTF will come "like a thief in the night"...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elvin Moseid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 12:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,654 Times in 753 Posts

As indicated on another thread:

The one SHTF scenario that has a high degree of certainty is the boom/bust nature of economics. You all know the litany:

21.5 Trillion of national debt

225 Trillion in unfunded federal liabilities

1.5 Trillion in student debt

Another housing bubble expanding again

The federal government continuing to borrow $.40 of every dollar spent

The proposed Green New Deal that will cost $600,000 per American household if implemented.

Medicare for all

Free college

Guaranteed minimum income proposals

At some point there can be no doubt but that there will be a day of economic reckoning. It simply has to happen and it's just a matter of when, not if.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 01:45 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,011 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
As indicated on another thread:

The one SHTF scenario that has a high degree of certainty is the boom/bust nature of economics. You all know the litany:

21.5 Trillion of national debt

225 Trillion in unfunded federal liabilities

1.5 Trillion in student debt

Another housing bubble expanding again

The federal government continuing to borrow $.40 of every dollar spent

The proposed Green New Deal that will cost $600,000 per American household if implemented.

Medicare for all

Free college

Guaranteed minimum income proposals

At some point there can be no doubt but that there will be a day of economic reckoning. It simply has to happen and it's just a matter of when, not if.
And no "free love" anymore.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,520 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
I rather agree with Nomad. The point is to prepare. The only exception I make to that is to make some provision for a grid down scenario of some kind. Yes, it's possible that we might experience an EMP or a CME, but the odds are pretty long against it. I had a friend of mine come to visit us this summer. He works for the DOD doing military planning for possible scenarios occurring to our nation. I mentioned EMP and CME to him and his response was interesting to say the least. He said the grid down scenario was far more likely from sources other than EMP or CME. He indicated that they knew full well that 100 guys with AK-47's could bring the grid down without the risks entailed from launching an EMP strike. I hope all of my prepping never needs to be implemented at all. If I die prior to the SHTF, then well and good...I would have won the proverbial "lotto". My kids and grandkids are also preppers and they'll enjoy going through my stuff.
24 guys with AKs might take a grid down ( there are 3), might even be able to do two, but not at a level that affects national security- we can restore the grid within a day or two, now rolling blackouts Might be required in the summer if they do enough damage.

CME will do more damage to the grid, HEMP more damage to users, and effect those with onsite backup power.

Regardless being preped for loss of the grid is smart- it could be terrorism. Economics, nature (CME, seismic, or Wx), or a enemy attack. Wildfire can cause a local loss of power. AGW could put the grid at great risk (reduced capacity, increased demand.)