Raccoons Killed My Chickens - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Korean War growing more imminent - What's your plan? **Merge Thread** Colt Manmade and Natural Disasters 3152 08-04-2018 09:22 AM
How to Stop Chickens from Eating Eggs AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-29-2017 12:00 PM
Neighbor Shot and Killed goofwife General Discussion 91 02-11-2017 06:06 PM
Deer Feeder For Feeding Chickens AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-07-2016 05:30 PM

Old 01-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,438 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmanning View Post
Buddy had a problem with coyotes getting his chickens. He got a couple geese. Geese are the meanest animals in the world. Problem solved.
I know that geese are mean critters. Running a coyote off and not becoming the yotes next meal is quite impressive. Some of our coyotes have gotten quite large and make 40lbs and maybe larger.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,448 Times in 4,657 Posts

We have a neighbor who leaves cat food out for the feral cats (we live close to a lake and *******s dump their unwanted dogs, cats, ducks and even chickens all the time). This, of course, brings in the possums and coons from the lake. I've never lost a chicken here in town to a coon. Only seen one possum in the tree over the chicken coop.

Rats and mice are a bigger problem than the larger varmits. I suspect, in part, because that big bowl of cat food the neighbor lady leaves out is MUCH easier to "catch".

Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with snakes either.

Now that I've said all that my backyard will be a jungle teeming with wildlife, covered in chicken carcasses, in 24 hours. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 09:22 AM
On what date did kev sell

Thanked 15,544 Times in 4,615 Posts

Get a live trap and turnem into sausage...
Old 01-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,127 Times in 3,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
I do not approve of using it, but the bird netting used to protect berries from birds when placed so that snakes crawl through it will capture snakes. Acts like a gill net.
I have avian netting over the top of the run, the taunt netting isn't a problem but a loose piece that hangs near the coop door has caught the resident rat snakes. After cutting them free a 2 or 3 times I finally trimmed all of the loose netting off.

Having a snake fall on your head when you open the hen house door is a bit unsettling and they are in/out of the coop all day long looking for eggs. Took a while to seal every gap to keep them out at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,538 Times in 9,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post

Having a snake fall on your head when you open the hen house door is a bit unsettling.
I BET.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
A mink could also easily get thru that 4" gap. They can climb like a squirrel.
We thought we had 'coon problems and turned out to be land-lubber mink. Chewed off the heads and ripped the breast of my hens. Caught some mink with traps, and shot some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347PS View Post
Nothing but the heads gone ? I think weasel ?
We have a known mink population in our area and our neighbor has chickens. He eventually ended up with problems with carcasses exactly as you describe - heads chewed off. I believe a 9mm solved that problem.

My sister also has chickens and had a coon problem. I sounded like coons make a bigger mess (or kill for sport and leave the carcass) of the chicken than simply chewing a head off. So my vote is you have a weasel or a mink issue, not coons, and they can get into VERY small openings.

When I was researching chicken coops once upon a time, many of the suggested designs either completely enclosed the birds in a cube of wire cloth (including underneath) or if that was not practical, had you bury the edges of the sides 12-18" into the ground then flared out to stop diggers from getting under and into the pen.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Cave canem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
When I was researching chicken coops once upon a time, many of the suggested designs either completely enclosed the birds in a cube of wire cloth (including underneath) or if that was not practical, had you bury the edges of the sides 12-18" into the ground then flared out to stop diggers from getting under and into the pen.
There really aren't many daytime predators that will try to enter a fenced coop other than hawks or possibly a bored overly excited neighborhood dog that tries to dig their way under. I guess maybe if there were never humans around coyotes or something might try during the day, but it is seems to be very rare. Burying hardware cloth around the perimeter would likely do more to keep rats/snakes out, but never line the ground with it, the birds want to scratch in the dirt and dust bathe, wire on the ground would tear up their feet and cause infections.

Night time presents 99% of the risk so most folks just focus on predator proofing the hen house and locking the birds up at dusk, and they fence the chicken run with welded wire or something similar to keep animals like dogs from easily getting in. At night the birds are literally blind and will often stay still as the flock is being slaughtered, during the daytime predators like raccoons, possums, snakes etc... can't catch them so they don't even try.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,384 Posts

Quote:
Night time presents 99% of the risk so most folks just focus on predator proofing the hen house and locking the birds up at dusk, and they fence the chicken run with welded wire or something similar to keep animals like dogs from easily getting in. At night the birds are literally blind and will often stay still as the flock is being slaughtered, during the daytime predators like raccoons, possums, snakes etc... can't catch them so they don't even try.
You are so right about that. I lost half of my flock overnight, as the coop was completely dark. Hens never had a chance against that big black weasel, they just sat as they were ripped apart. I had to put them down as they were still alive but really torn up. Talk about shock! The next night mink got into the rabbit cage and snuffed the bunny. It had pried open the flimsy hatch. I put a #2 double coilspring in the hutch next to the rabbit and nailed the bugger the next morning. The mink have come up in broad daylight and I had one latched onto one of my Muskovies. Mink have terrible eyesight and I was able to walk right up and blast it. I've had at least a half-dozen encounters with those furry black "snakes", but the outside run on my coop 12'x8'x8' is now completely enclosed by wire, including the base in which I buried wire about a foot deep all the way around. No problems now for the last five years.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Been there, done that

Thanks for the input. I will patch up those 4" holes this coming weekend, hopefully between the dogs and me we can keep the coons out until then. I've got a 10/22 loaded by the door and a surefire flashlight beside it - would love to have another Daniel Boone coonskin cap! :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmchawk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,112 Times in 8,761 Posts

Agreed, getting the wire mesh down below grade at least a foot is important. I've watched dogs, cats, other assorted predators try to get into our pen when I was a kid. Including trying to burrow underneath. It slowed them down long enough to get the appropriate bead.......
Old 01-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Been there, done that

I've no problems with the base or sides. When I built the run, I buried the fencing at least a foot on all sides and I laid it down on the floor and filled in about 6" of soil on top of that. My issue, I believe, were the gaps between the top of the walls and the roof rafters. I still have 3.5" (2x4) gaps in the back where the rafters contact the top of the wall. I have to get those gaps closed this weekend.

The only good news is that since the weather has gone back and forth this fall, the Americauna's quit laying and they were the ones killed.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmchawk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Cave canem

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmchawk View Post
I've no problems with the base or sides. When I built the run, I buried the fencing at least a foot on all sides and I laid it down on the floor and filled in about 6" of soil on top of that. My issue, I believe, were the gaps between the top of the walls and the roof rafters. I still have 3.5" (2x4) gaps in the back where the rafters contact the top of the wall. I have to get those gaps closed this weekend.

The only good news is that since the weather has gone back and forth this fall, the Americauna's quit laying and they were the ones killed.
Hopefully you won't have to shoot any raccoons, but if you do, try not to do it inside the hen house.

If the birds get scared out of their wits inside the hen house they may refuse to sleep in it for days which is a real pain because you have to round them up at dusk and carry them in one by one. Plus a traumatic experience can stop egg production for a few days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:
Hopefully you won't have to shoot any raccoons, but if you do, try not to do it inside the hen house.

If the birds get scared out of their wits inside the hen house they may refuse to sleep in it for days which is a real pain because you have to round them up at dusk and carry them in one by one. Plus a traumatic experience can stop egg production for a few days.
No joke on that. I have been dealing with roof rats for a couple of years now, have lost some new born rabbits in the past, but mainly just had to put all feed in metal cans. My chicken coop is just straw bales stacked up with a plywood roof and several inches of straw on top. Had a nest of rats in there. Simple snap traps tripping during the night scared the chickens enough they refused to use the coop for a few days. I imagine even a .22 shot inside the coop would really "ruffle" their feathers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh MacArawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,393 Times in 1,636 Posts

If it is cold where you are at, I second the weasel or mink. Coons tend to semi hibernate. Weasels go white in the winter and are really quite small.

I have had coons around that never bothered my chickens. My chickens free range part of the year. I have lost more birds to domestic dogs and hawks than any other critters. The one time I found a coon in the coop, it was just after dark and I was late getting home, bit a bullet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,393 Times in 1,636 Posts

[QUOTE=S610;17207778

Having a snake fall on your head when you open the hen house door is a bit unsettling and they are in/out of the coop all day long looking for eggs. Took a while to seal every gap to keep them out at night.[/QUOTE]

If that happened to dh I bet I would have to look for him in the next county, or dead from a heart attack! Might make me have to go change my underwear.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 PM
Cave canem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat wrangler View Post
If that happened to dh I bet I would have to look for him in the next county, or dead from a heart attack! Might make me have to go change my underwear.....
LOL. If it had been a big spider I would have freaked out BIG time and had flashbacks for days!

But snakes don't bother me, though I did start checking the top of the door before entering.