Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-24-2016, 08:08 AM
My kingdom for a doughnut

Default A Recent Montana-ian Relocation

Advertise Here

Yup, we finally made it! Only after like 10 years of looking and trying on and off. I have not posted here in quite a while but for any who don't recall the family and I were living in central Michigan. Moved there from Mississippi, but originally from Arkansas.
First impressions... the eastern half kinda sucks much in the same way that North Dakota sucks. Driving here my oldest daughter and I manning the uHaul actually had a game where each time we crested a ridge/rise we'd rate the amount of nothingness lol. There really is an insane amount of nothing in ND. Actually there was once tiny place that the wife fell in love with, Medora ND. It's on the southern edge of the Teddy Roosevelt park. Very picturesque, very quiet.

A fully loaded 26 foot uHaul does NOT like mountain passes either, heh. Coming NW out of Belgrade I thought she wouldn't make it.
Our trip took us straight up I-75 to the UP, then along the mostly Lake Superior edge to Duluth. The UP, northern Wisconsin and central Minnesota were all VERY pretty areas. People were nice too at the few places we stopped. Ended up taking old two-lane highways from Duluth to Fargo. Again very scenic, very pretty nature-wise.
Then the day we dreaded... I-94 at Fargo. We drove it all the way across the state and let me tell you one thing... if you have a choice at all and you are needing to get to Montana from Minnesota, take the detour and go instead through South Dakota because holy hell the northern state will put you to sleep!
The drive remained fairly innocuous all the way to Billings. But once you catch the first sight of mountain tops the spirit is rejuvenated! From Billings to *here* was gravy, mostly because you couldn't wait to top the next rise because you knew you were getting closer to the Rockies.

So yeah.. right now we're renting a place up at about 4700' and loving the view of the Elkhorns. Every single day, either in the morning or the evening we get to see whitetails, mule deer or elk in some fashion from the house.

The move was scary, exciting, boring, fun, tiring, and most of all expensive. But IMHO worth every penny and drop of sweat thus far.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skeer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 AM
~pthor~

Welcome !!!

You made it just in time for winter ~ Lucky you

I have to disagree about Eastern Montana though and with South Dakota - I love that nothingness! That nothingness is the reason you see those animals instead of bumper to bumper traffic and buildings > Two things I can't be around...

I too love the drive from Billings - West although I'm usually on the I-90, the sights are amazing, not to mention the recently upgraded speed limits, which I'm sure your Uhaul truck was unable to partake in LOl.

If you don't know already, learn to fly fish, you're in the heart of it ~ Enjoy
The Following User Says Thank You to mrhogleg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 PM

Thanks!!

Yeah Ive been seeing fly fishing 'sign' all over. Hell the place I bought my truck last week, sold flies and rod setups.. lol.

From all I've heard the winters here should be easier than Michigan. I cant wait for the first decent snowfall. I agree about nothingness and lack of people, but geez give a man a tree now and then hehe.

Might I ask, how far are you from here Hog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2016, 10:08 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,590 Times in 5,599 Posts

Welcome Home, my friend!

The farther west you go in Montana, the better it gets! Mountains and trees and wildlife. There's only traffic if you go to Missoula or Kalispell, which I admit is necessary from time to time to get supplies.

I'm 30 miles from Idaho and loving it. Moved here from the east coast ten years ago and never had any regrets!

Take your time when searching for land, there is a lot of it and something better always shows up. The realtor who sold me my land was Mark Twite, easy to google.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2016, 10:17 PM
~pthor~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeer View Post
Thanks!!

Yeah Ive been seeing fly fishing 'sign' all over. Hell the place I bought my truck last week, sold flies and rod setups.. lol.

From all I've heard the winters here should be easier than Michigan. I cant wait for the first decent snowfall. I agree about nothingness and lack of people, but geez give a man a tree now and then hehe.

Might I ask, how far are you from here Hog?
I'm West of Missoula on the I-90.

I'm so close to Sarco200 that we'll probably eventually end up fighting for the same tree to burn some winter soon !
Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 PM

ROFL nice one! It'd be cool to meet Sarco one day thats for sure. But I need to crawl before I walk. Only been here a month now and I've got a helluva lot of land to explore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skeer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2016, 11:57 PM
East young man, go East!

Welcome, now become a Montanan!